Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft Username Changer


  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1

Skylord_ABOD

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

I was wondering if anybody had any idea when the username changer for minecraft will be released. It was confirmed that one would be released a while ago but I haven't heard anything of it since so I was just wondering if anybody knew anything. Feedback is appreciated!

Register or log in to remove.

#2

TheSoulCraft
  • Location: United Kingdom
  • Minecraft: TheSoulCraft
  • Xbox:bZaR_Fury

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

This would be great but it would run into alot of complications.
RAINBOW
Because one colour isn't enough...

#3

JohnTheRipper
  • Location: ::1

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

View PostTheSoulCraft, on 03 September 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

This would be great but it would run into alot of complications.
They'll just use the Steam ID system (not actually use it, but create their own system that'll be very similar to it). Problem solved.
i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, Hyper 212 Evo, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, Z77X-UD5H, GTX 670 OC, 256GB 840 Pro, 2TB + 500GB HDDs, Fractal R4, HX750 (with bonus fan noise), Dell U2713HM.

Please read the rules!
Global | Discussion | MnM | Other Platforms | Servers | Support | SyC | Off Topic
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” — Albert Einstein
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." — Robert Heinlein

Posted Image


#4

NyanNeko
    NyanNeko

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3345 posts
  • Location: New york
  • Minecraft: Cat348

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

View Postbattlekid, on 03 September 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

They'll just use the Steam ID system (not actually use it, but create their own system that'll be very similar to it). Problem solved.

That's what i say to anyone anywhere who suggests the ability to change usernames
Posted Image
I Solve practical problems

#5

bryann381
  • Location: Nashville, TN, USA
  • Minecraft: bryann381

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostSkylord_ABOD, on 03 September 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

I was wondering if anybody had any idea when the username changer for minecraft will be released.

It will be released whenever Mojang says it is.

#6

Aikar
    Aikar

    Carpenter

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 63 posts
  • Location: Raleigh, NC
  • Minecraft: Aikar

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

This feature worries me from an Administration point of view...

Server owners need the ability to ban, but of course they can create a unique user ID per user -- but how do we import all old bans once this system comes into play :/

Empire Minecraft - Owner/Developer
Posted Image


play.emc.gs


#7

RossiTheNugget
  • Location: Surrey, England.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, like the post above me states, it would create a lot of problems, it could maybe be like the Xbox system, paying a smaller amount to change your username, but everything else like bans stay the same.

Posted Image


#8

JohnTheRipper
  • Location: ::1

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostAikar, on 04 September 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

This feature worries me from an Administration point of view...

Server owners need the ability to ban, but of course they can create a unique user ID per user -- but how do we import all old bans once this system comes into play :/
Simple — Mojang ties IDs to everyone's accounts, generates a massive list of username-ID mappings, then releases said list. It'd be a huge list, but it would allow developers to convert "legacy" banlists into ID banlists. Just search the file (or Mojang could have a page/form to do this), find the username/ID, convert it in your ban/player DB/list, and you're done!

Or they could do it Skype-style. Everyone keeps their current username as their ID, but they can rename themselves with whatever alias they want, which would allow old banlists to still work. The only change needed would be having plugins lookup and ban the ID name instead of their current alias for new bans, and the whole ban system checking the ID instead of alias.
i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, Hyper 212 Evo, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, Z77X-UD5H, GTX 670 OC, 256GB 840 Pro, 2TB + 500GB HDDs, Fractal R4, HX750 (with bonus fan noise), Dell U2713HM.

Please read the rules!
Global | Discussion | MnM | Other Platforms | Servers | Support | SyC | Off Topic
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” — Albert Einstein
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." — Robert Heinlein

Posted Image


#9

MathiasVerden

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

They'd just have to force migration to a Mojang account, which I'm pretty sure has it's own Mojang ID. Problem solved. For cracked servers, too bad!

Posted Image


#10

~Shadow~
    ~Shadow~

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 213 posts
  • Location: England
  • Minecraft: EvilHomer001

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

The Steam ID system would work perfect for this, as was mentioned. Although after they "confirmed" it, nothing else has been said that I'm aware of.
Posted Image
                                       MCGUSTA

#11

Kingmansam
  • Location: Uk
  • Minecraft: kingmansam
  • Xbox:kingmansam

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Gah, I hope they don't make us charge!
If you are quick to flame my post, your fuel will soon die out.

#12

Skylord_ABOD

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

I thought that maybe when you change your username if your banned by a server you are still banned by some way of identification.

#13

Skylord_ABOD

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

Jeb said 4 months ago that they would talk about the name changing feature with the developers. It was also said that perhaps you would have to wait 2 months (possibly) before you can change your username for free so that we would have to think more carefully about how we choose our username.

#14

Aikar
    Aikar

    Carpenter

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 63 posts
  • Location: Raleigh, NC
  • Minecraft: Aikar

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

View Postbattlekid, on 04 September 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

Simple — Mojang ties IDs to everyone's accounts, generates a massive list of username-ID mappings, then releases said list. It'd be a huge list, but it would allow developers to convert "legacy" banlists into ID banlists. Just search the file (or Mojang could have a page/form to do this), find the username/ID, convert it in your ban/player DB/list, and you're done!

Or they could do it Skype-style. Everyone keeps their current username as their ID, but they can rename themselves with whatever alias they want, which would allow old banlists to still work. The only change needed would be having plugins lookup and ban the ID name instead of their current alias for new bans, and the whole ban system checking the ID instead of alias.

They would never do this. No company would release an entire list of every username in their system...

do you know how many people have their password same as their username? Horrible idea but it happens ALOT...

Empire Minecraft - Owner/Developer
Posted Image


play.emc.gs


#15

JohnTheRipper
  • Location: ::1

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostAikar, on 05 September 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

They would never do this. No company would release an entire list of every username in their system...

do you know how many people have their password same as their username? Horrible idea but it happens ALOT...
It's already pretty damn easy to scrape/get Minecraft usernames (I think I have 200k of them somewhere, and if someone scraped MCF, you'd get a huge amount). All Mojang would really have to do is release an API to lookup an alias and return the ID/userID, if they don't want to release full public info on IDs.
i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, Hyper 212 Evo, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, Z77X-UD5H, GTX 670 OC, 256GB 840 Pro, 2TB + 500GB HDDs, Fractal R4, HX750 (with bonus fan noise), Dell U2713HM.

Please read the rules!
Global | Discussion | MnM | Other Platforms | Servers | Support | SyC | Off Topic
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” — Albert Einstein
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." — Robert Heinlein

Posted Image


#16

Younkling
  • Location: The Shire

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

I really want this feature to come! I've been wanting to change my minecraft username for so long!!!

#17

Comixnik
    Comixnik

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • Location: UK
  • Minecraft: comixnik

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Terraria uses a similar function when creating characters, which works very well. But for Minecraft, we're kinda used to seeing usernames filled with numbers, etc. I wouldn't mind if they added it or not, as if they did it would allow servers to experiment with different things (Role Playing?).

If this does get released, I can see myself playing with at least 5 Honeydews who all claim they are real.
There's more to life than Minecraft. Actually scrap that, there isn't.

#18

~Shadow~
    ~Shadow~

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 213 posts
  • Location: England
  • Minecraft: EvilHomer001

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

View PostComixnik, on 05 September 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Terraria uses a similar function when creating characters, which works very well. But for Minecraft, we're kinda used to seeing usernames filled with numbers, etc. I wouldn't mind if they added it or not, as if they did it would allow servers to experiment with different things (Role Playing?).

If this does get released, I can see myself playing with at least 5 Honeydews who all claim they are real.

I'd say to prevent the "claiming to be other people" situation you'd have a system where you cannot have a nickname of someone's "sign-up" name. It'd simply display "that name is already taken."
Posted Image
                                       MCGUSTA

#19

doctordiamonds

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

On RPG servers you can /rename yourself, so Usernamexample387 becomes Hermes Yandolion.
I don't think Mojang will ever come out with that feature however.
                                                                  I feel like I should have something here. Hello.

#20

ArrogantLobster
  • Location: in da ocean cuz im a lobsta

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

The names the people decided are stuck to you forever. Sucks to be you :D

View Postsimen671, on 26 November 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Do you guys think Dinnerbone is giving a hint here? Or is he just Dinnerboning?