Latest News Article

Shift key!!!!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

1jim3bob
  • Minecraft: 1jim3bob

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

(Warning! Pointless thread)

Okay, I used a texture pack that had a glitch that could see through furnaces, so I saw mossy cobblestone, yadda yadda yadda...

Alright, so in search of that dungeon I came across a pretty cool cave. I found gold   :SSSS:, Woo hoo. I found a part that was filled with lava, so I decided to explore it by placing cobblestone and sneaking so I don't fall off.

...but then my finger came off of the shift key. In panic, I pressed ESC and then X, hoping it wouldn't save.
I was too afraid to open my file for a while since then. XD
And when I did open my file, it DID save, and I was pretty much screwed. Yay.

Sorry if this is the wrong section. This is my first thread I've made.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Lloyd2k4
    Lloyd2k4

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

It desperately needs to be made into a toggle command.  There's no reason why it should have to be held down since it's so easy to slip off any key.

CrazyGamer6
  • Minecraft: CrazyGamer6

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:04 AM

Some people like to hold it down, while other like toggle. It should give you an option, in my opinion.

Posted Image

zombiewiththehiccups

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:33 AM

Notch should consider the Caps Lock key for this...

I just hope it doesn't lead to more shouting in SMP.
Posted Image

Oceanie
    Oceanie

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1171 posts
  • Minecraft: Oceanie

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:31 AM

Yeah, I'm going to go on a lookout for a toggle shift mod. xD Or eventully make one.
Posted Image

VinexNike
  • Minecraft: VinexNike

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:23 AM

This is what happens to me about... 5 times? well the falling in lava thing because of my pinky <.<
Posted Image

1jim3bob
  • Minecraft: 1jim3bob

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

zombiewiththehiccups said:

Notch should consider the Caps Lock key for this...

I just hope it doesn't lead to more shouting in SMP.

Friend: So I heard you like using the toggle option for sneaking?
You: YEAH I DO AND I USE IT ALOT
Posted Image

Oceanie
    Oceanie

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1171 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

Erm, I found out how to toggle sneak.

Hold Shift - Press Alt - Let Go Off Shift - Click

:Frame:
Posted Image

BaconPig
    BaconPig

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:08 AM

I made an account just to answer this,caps lock does work in a way so that when pressed for crouching you can let go and you still will be crouching!

Galaksee

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:25 AM

Been testing out these theories and neither the alt nor the caps lock key do anything.
"If you could be any mob, which would it be?"
Posted Image
gif by quadkillz

Oceanie
    Oceanie

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1171 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:27 AM

Galaksee said:

Been testing out these theories and neither the alt nor the caps lock key do anything.

Are you nuts? LOL.

Hold Shift, Press Alt, (It'll freeze your minecraft screen), Let go off shift, Click on the screen.
Posted Image

BaconPig
    BaconPig

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

alright, I have confirmed that it works on my Minecraft. I tried the shift+ alt thing but nothing happened. it may be different with different computers. I am on a Mac.

Newlemming
  • Minecraft: Newlemming

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

This is why when I find lava I immediately start constructing what I like to call a "forward base" so I can put my stuff away while I go explore my newfound territory.

Oceanie
    Oceanie

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1171 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:48 AM

BaconPig said:

alright, I have confirmed that it works on my Minecraft. I tried the shift+ alt thing but nothing happened. it may be different with different computers. I am on a Mac.

Yeah, Might only work for windows. It works perfectly for me, But If you go into your inventory or talk, You will get out of sneak.
Posted Image

BLU107
    BLU107

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:14 AM

On my Mac, the caps lock key will toggle crouch when pressed.  On Windows, the Shift+Alt+click thing works for me at least.  But if you do go into inventory it will cause you to stop crouching.

MisterBuilder
  • Minecraft: MisterBuilder

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:11 AM

Try applying your sneak to a key that you would hit with your thumb, rather than your pinky. I changed mine to V and I never slip off it anymore, where I did plenty of times with it as Shift.

Posted Image

Oceanie
    Oceanie

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1171 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:26 AM

BLU107 said:

On my Mac, the caps lock key will toggle crouch when pressed.  On Windows, the Shift+Alt+click thing works for me at least.  But if you do go into inventory it will cause you to stop crouching.

Yeah, Someone needs to develop a script for togglesneaking.
Posted Image

TienSon
    TienSon

Carpenter

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:05 AM

hey, if you guys still care about a toggle-able sneak feature...Come VOTE (=

http://www.minecraft...ts-have-a-vote/
Help Make Toggle Sneak/Crouch Part of Minecraft! Come Vote On How It Should Be Implemented.

http://www.minecraft...ts-have-a-vote/

Tyleh
    Tyleh

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Minecraft: Tyleh

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

View PostBaconPig, on 31 January 2011 - 11:07 PM, said:

Shift + Alt is a Windows command that changes the focus from the Minecraft window to the desktop. Any buttons that were pressed while Minecraft is not in focus becomes perpetually pressed in-game until you press that key again. Works wonders for idling, as you can open the inventory then alt + tab out of the window and the game won't pause. So yes, this should work in Windows.

EDIT: Actually I'm not really sure what shift + alt does. Apparently it's a bug in either the game or Java.

Erzengel

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

View PostTyleh, on 21 July 2011 - 09:15 PM, said:

Shift + Alt is a Windows command that changes the focus from the Minecraft window to the desktop. Any buttons that were pressed while Minecraft is not in focus becomes perpetually pressed in-game until you press that key again. Works wonders for idling, as you can open the inventory then alt + tab out of the window and the game won't pause. So yes, this should work in Windows.

EDIT: Actually I'm not really sure what shift + alt does. Apparently it's a bug in either the game or Java.
ALT is a windows key that when pressed brings up the accelerator commands and selects any standard windows menu that the program uses. Minecraft uses only one standard windows menu: The system menu (the icon in the upper left). Windows messages regarding input from the keyboard go to the currently selected control. Usually this is the main window, but when you select the system menu (by pressing alt) it instead sends the input messages to the system menu. This means that the main window receives your "Shift Key Down" message, but the system menu receives the "Shift Key Up" message instead of the main window, tricking minecraft into thinking you haven't released the shift key. You then click on the main window to put the focus on the main window instead of the system menu, allowing new input messages to go to the main window so that you have control.

There is an incredibly easy fix for this on windows (basically: don't use windows input messages, or preview all input messages if you are already providing a winproc callback), but I program for C++ and C#, Windows and X-Box 360, so I don't know if there's a cross-compatible method in Java that works for Macs, Linux, PS3, whatever.
Posted Image