Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Best Sword Enchantment?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

joshuacastino
  • Minecraft: joshuacastino

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

I was playing on a Vanilla Survival server, and I enchant a diamond sword to Sharpness 3, Knockback 2, Looting 2, and Fire Aspect 2. Is this the best sword enchantment?

Register or log in to remove.

kistoul
    kistoul

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:50 AM

View Postjoshuacastino, on 31 August 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

I was playing on a Vanilla Survival server, and I enchant a diamond sword to Sharpness 3, Knockback 2, Looting 2, and Fire Aspect 2. Is this the best sword enchantment?
http://www.minecraft...wiki/Enchanting

scroll down to sword enchantments.

HEYO

AndyMcB1

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:02 AM

I don't like Knockback for PvP

Metalwario
  • Minecraft: Seth_Reed

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:19 AM

I'm not sure if it's the "best" enchantment, as people will have their own preferences, but to me that sounds like a really nice set of enchantments on that sword! Should be enough to sweep quite a few mobs in a hit or two!

Posted Image

16cadrian
  • Minecraft: 16cadrian

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

One of my friends had an iron sword with sharpness iv and fire aspect ii on it, the sharpness would take you down to 2 hearts, and the fire aspect would kill you the next second... Essentially one hit kills...

InfiniteNexus

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Now that we can combine enchanted gear with the anvil, the best sword for single player is Smite V, Knockback II, Fire Aspect II and Looting III(not really required in PvP), and for PvP the best sword is the same with the only difference being the Sharpness V instead of the Smite V, because Sharpness does extra damage to everything including players by 0.5 to 1.5 hearts, but the Smite only does extra damage to zombies, pigmen, withers and skelletons but its more with 0.5 to 2.0 hearts. Since you dont meet other players for PvP in singleplayer, you would want the Smite sword to defend yourself better againts the mobs + the Looting III for more drops.
Posted Image

Banana_Jones

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

I think the best sword enchantment is a question of prefernece, allthough I think InfiteNexus came really close.

But I also personally don't like Knockback, as well as I think having Fire Aspect on a Looting sword is rather useless.
Excuse my bad english, I'm Austrian.

snailcreep

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

The best single enchantment would be sharpness V all though V is extremely rare it is possible.
The best sword ive gotten is Sharp IV fire aspect II looting III knockback II

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4841 posts
  • Location: I could probably put an overused/bad joke here, but instead I put this when I should be telling the world my location.
  • Minecraft: Giygas924

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

You can't go wrong with Sharpness. All the others have some sort of a negative synergy with another enchantment (well, sharpness and knockback, but that problem is present even if you don't have sharpness).

Smite is only effective against certain mobs.
Bane of Arthopods is only effective against a few mobs (they even have less health than the rest).
Knockback is better for the opponent if they have a bow or a fire aspect sword than it is for you, but it's good for you if you have fire aspect. It lowers DPS so it's only useful if combined with fire aspect or if you need to run.
Fire Aspect's fire can deal the finishing blow to a mob, which will cause you to lose mob drops if you have a looting sword.
Looting's effect can be ninja'd by Fire Aspect.

Posted ImageDid something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?Posted Image

TaintedMX
  • Minecraft: TaintedMx

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

I'd say it would be - Sharpness IV, Fire aspect II, Knockback II, Looting III.

ari462
    ari462

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Minecraft: ari462

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

View PostInfiniteNexus, on 01 November 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

Now that we can combine enchanted gear with the anvil, the best sword for single player is Smite V, Knockback II, Fire Aspect II and Looting III(not really required in PvP), and for PvP the best sword is the same with the only difference being the Sharpness V instead of the Smite V, because Sharpness does extra damage to everything including players by 0.5 to 1.5 hearts, but the Smite only does extra damage to zombies, pigmen, withers and skelletons but its more with 0.5 to 2.0 hearts. Since you dont meet other players for PvP in singleplayer, you would want the Smite sword to defend yourself better againts the mobs + the Looting III for more drops.

That's not possible I think. Correct my if I'm wrong, but doesn't something come up saying its too expensive, unless your in creative?

Chicken
    Chicken

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1414 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

Looting or Fire Aspect. That's just my opinion, but everyone has different opinions.

Still KFC's Finest

Posted Image

InfiniteNexus

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

View Postari462, on 04 November 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

That's not possible I think. Correct my if I'm wrong, but doesn't something come up saying its too expensive, unless your in creative?

yes, i forgot about that when i wrote it, ill have to test some enchantments and see what is the maximum possible combination; also @Kholdstare fire aspect doesnt burn the drops, only external fire/lava can destroy items. The fire aspect only affects the mob's health
Posted Image

lolcreeper200
  • Minecraft: lolcreeper200

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

They're all good- but Sharpness, Knockback, and Fire Aspect are the best. You can injure a creeper in the initial attack pretty bad, then watch it go flying back, and see it burn to death.
Posted Image

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4841 posts
  • Location: I could probably put an overused/bad joke here, but instead I put this when I should be telling the world my location.
  • Minecraft: Giygas924

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostInfiniteNexus, on 09 November 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

yes, i forgot about that when i wrote it, ill have to test some enchantments and see what is the maximum possible combination; also @Kholdstare fire aspect doesnt burn the drops, only external fire/lava can destroy items. The fire aspect only affects the mob's health

No, it doesn't burn the drops, but fire steals the kills from the sword.

If you hit a mob with a Fire Aspect II/Looting III sword and the fire deals the finishing blow, you get the normal drops (plus cooked meat if it drops meat).

If you hit a mob with a Fire Aspect II/Looting III sword and the sword deals the finishing blow, you get the increased drops.

Posted ImageDid something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?Posted Image

A2aaron
    A2aaron

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • Minecraft: a2aaron

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

I'd say any amount of sharpness ( V or IV is good though) and some knockback, maybe I or II. Good for cramped areas and to see the creepers just go FLYING.

RunnerX
    RunnerX

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

I'd say the best all around is a matter of personal preference. I mean, just cause one guy wants all his swords to have bane of arthropods doesn't mean that that's the best enchantment

But I'd say the best for plain combat is a combo of sharpness and knockback. hit the guy, he takes sword damage and impact damage!
Prepare yourselves to suffer my judgement.
-The Batter

Luis
    Luis

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2083 posts
  • Minecraft: Luis_

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

It's preference, pure and simple. Some people might like sorts with knockback, others might not.

LemmyKoopa98
  • Minecraft: LemmyKoopa98

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

,I'd have to agree with most people and say that Sharpness IV, Fire Aspect II, Knockback II, and Looting III is definitely the most rewarding and overpowered weapon in Vanilla Minecraft.
THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!

GoldTools
  • Minecraft: no
  • Xbox:no

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

Fire Aspect and Sharpness is awesome. I just love how deadly it is.
nope