• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[HOW TO] Find a Stronghold ! Only two eyes of ender needed !

stronghold end portal easy simple find eye of ender eyes of ender

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

pixeledDanny

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Hi Guys !

Intro :
When trying to beat Minecraft, we all eventually have to find a stronghold and locate the "End" portal. But since there are only three per map, this can be a very difficult task.
This is where eyes of ender come in. As you all know you have to throw one in the air and it will show you the direction to the stronghold.
(wiki : http://www.minecraft...ki/Eye_of_Ender )
BUT during the process you will lose a lot of eyes of ender ! First because you might not find them again once they have fallen back on the ground, or because they exploded.
And that's pretty sad, since you need 12 eyes to activate the portal.

SO how can we find the stronghold and avoid losing as much eyes of ender as possible ?

That's exactly what I'll explain in this topic.

This a simple tutorial on how to :

Find a Stronghold with only two eyes of ender !

Tutorial :
I have to warn you right here : if you hate math, you should probably just leave right now because that's how we'll get the coordinates of the stronghold.

The goal of this tutorial is to get the coordinates X0 and Z0 of the "End Portal" located inside the Stronghold.

Before we start, a little word about the coordinates so you understand the basics :

1. How to view them during the game :

Pressing  F3 (or  Fn+F3 on Macs and some laptops) brings up a debug screen with various data—including your current coordinates, at the top left of the screen.

2. What they mean :

• the x-axis indicates the player's distance east (positive) or west (negative) of the origin point—i.e., the longitude,
  • the z-axis indicates the player's distance south (positive) or north (negative) of the origin point—i.e., the latitude,
  • the y-axis indicates how high or low (from 0 to 255, with 64 being sea level) the player is—i.e., the elevation,
(Source wiki : http://www.minecraft...iki/Coordinates )
This is why we will use the X and Z coordinates, and leave out Y. Once you got X and Z, you simply dig down.

Ok let's go ! Here are the simple steps :

Prep :

Display the coordinates on your screen. (see explanation above).

And have 2 eyes of ender in your inventory, ready to be thrown.

Step 1 :

Simply stand somewhere (it's better if you have a clear view around you) and write down the coordinates of where you are right now.

This will be your position 1 with these coordinates : X1 and Z1

Step 2 :

Now throw an eye of ender into the air and try to see where it lands.

Go to the exact position where it hit the ground and write down the coordinates of this position.

This will be the position 1' (for the eye) with these coordinates : X1' and Z1'

Posted Image

Important :

As Happyinc pointed out :

View PostHappyinc, on 31 August 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

The only trouble is, that the eyes don't land where they stopped in the air because the item jumps out of the entity.

So make sure to get the right coordinates, like these images show :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 3 :

Now go somewhere else. It's best to try to go pretty far away. (don't lose yourself though).

Now write down the coordinates of this new position.

This will be your position 2 with these coordinates : X2 and Z2

Step 4 :

Now throw an eye of ender into the air and try to see where it lands.

Go to the exact position where it hit the ground and write down the coordinates of this position.

This will be the position 2' (for the eye) with these coordinates : X2' and Z2'

Posted Image

Step 5 :

This is where the math comes in :

We have now enough positions to calculate the equations of two straight lines. Let's call them D1 and D2. Like this :

Posted Image

And you have probably guessed it by now : the intersection between these two lines is ... the Stronghold !

I'll spare you details, but this is the final equation :

Posted Image

Looks pretty complicated , heh ? Posted Image

But don't worry ! All you have to do is get a calculator and replace X1, Z1,  X1',Z1', X2, Z2, X2' and Z2' by the values you wrote down. That's it.

Begin by calculating X0 using the first line, then find out Z0.

And that's it !

Now just leave your coordinates on the screen and go to X0 and Z0 Posted Image

End Word :

For all you people who post their method of obtaining the formula : please stop ! This thread is not about how you would have calculated it.
Here it is, once and for all :

Spoiler:

I hope this tutorial helped you guys ! It looks pretty complicated but you really don't have to do anything since I already gave you the formula.

Since I haven't found this technique anywhere else on the web, please give me credit whenever you want to make a video or anything else showing this method. Thanks !

pixeledDanny

Register or log in to remove.

neoix
    neoix

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3988 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

Does that work every time? If it does, awesome find!
Posted Image

pixeledDanny

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

It should work every time. At least if you get your coordinates right at the beginning and don't lose your eye of ender Posted Image
And it's even better/more precise if you choose two throwing positions which are as far away as possible.

Zedpax
    Zedpax

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

It's pretty awesome because it's simple but nobody seems to have thought about it like that. Good idea and awesome pictures. (Although the math isnt that complicated as you describe it ;))

Ps238principal

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

"...but since there's only one per map..."

Is that new? I thought there were three per world?

Cdm98
    Cdm98

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1293 posts
  • Minecraft: cdm98

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

I hate maths and but this could come in handy a lot for me. So could you please tell me how I find out Xo and Zo?? My only guess to figure out what the co-ords for the stronghold are is to add all the X's to get Xo and add all the Z's to get the Zo. Am I right? If not, please tell me how.

Posted Image

Happyinc
  • Minecraft: Happyinc

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

The only trouble is, that the eyes don't land where they stopped in the air because the item jumps out of the entity, and getting so precise is difficult. Otherwise, it should work.

I prefer just chucking them and running after them. I usually only lose about one.
Posted Image
If I've helped you, why not check out my channel? It won't take more than a minute, and would help me a lot.

pixeledDanny

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostPs238principal, on 31 August 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

"...but since there's only one per map..."

Is that new? I thought there were three per world?

Ah sorry, I heard somewhere that there was only one. Must have heard wrong. Will change that. Thanks !

View PostCdm98, on 31 August 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

I hate maths and but this could come in handy a lot for me. So could you please tell me how I find out Xo and Zo?? My only guess to figure out what the co-ords for the stronghold are is to add all the X's to get Xo and add all the Z's to get the Zo. Am I right? If not, please tell me how.

No, that's not it. I think it's described pretty clearly in my first post. You get all the co-ords from the different positions and replace them in the formula I gave at the end to find X0 and then Z0.

Happyinc
  • Minecraft: Happyinc

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostpixeledDanny, on 31 August 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Ah sorry, I heard somewhere that there was only one. Must have heard wrong. Will change that. Thanks !
I think that there are three, and they all lead to the same End. They are all also precisely 120 degrees apart, centred on (0,0) and are the same distance from the origin, so if you have found one you can find them all.
Posted Image
If I've helped you, why not check out my channel? It won't take more than a minute, and would help me a lot.

Cdm98
    Cdm98

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1293 posts
  • Minecraft: cdm98

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

Like I said I'm horrible at maths. Some how I missed the formula but I read it and I think I get it now....maybe.

Posted Image

pixeledDanny

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

View PostCdm98, on 31 August 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

Like I said I'm horrible at maths. Some how I missed the formula but I read it and I think I get it now....maybe.

Great Posted Image If you have any more questions regarding the process just ask.

2Latee
    2Latee

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • Minecraft: 2Latee

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

GJ! I wouldn't have bothered to search for the formula (even though I'm studying advanced math in school), but luckily you gave it to us. We'll see if I never need to use this, because I tend to find Strongholds by luck :) Everytime...

You DO wanna quote my post if you wish to bring me back to the topic!

I'm Finnish, so typos may and will happen. Haters gonna hate.

pixeledDanny

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostHappyinc, on 31 August 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

The only trouble is, that the eyes don't land where they stopped in the air because the item jumps out of the entity, and getting so precise is difficult. Otherwise, it should work.

I prefer just chucking them and running after them. I usually only lose about one.

That's true. I updated the post to make that clearer. Thanks !

kalajel
    kalajel

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1450 posts
  • Minecraft: kalajel

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

Triangulation. I'm surprised no one here thought of this sooner... I can think of one way how this method could fail though; by moving away to your second set of coordinates, you get closer to another stronghold...

pixeledDanny

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

View Postkalajel, on 31 August 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

Triangulation. I'm surprised no one here thought of this sooner... I can think of one way how this method could fail though; by moving away to your second set of coordinates, you get closer to another stronghold...
Yes, but hopefully that's pretty unlikely.

silentower09

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

And this is where the things I learned at school comes in...

Ps238principal

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

View Postsilentower09, on 31 August 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

And this is where the things I learned at school comes in...

I majored in Stronghold Trig at Minecraft University! :)

silentower09

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostPs238principal, on 31 August 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

I majored in Stronghold Trig at Minecraft University! Posted Image

Yes, and we earn emeralds from that.

There's another method I did

The same as this thread, I found values for Line(x1, z1)-(x1', z1') and Line(x2, z2)-(x2'-z2') then derived each line's equation using the form

z = mx + b

where

m = z1 - z1' (Just substitute your points to this equation to find 'm')
   x1 - x1'

and

b = z - mx (Since 'm' is given and 'z' can be of any values of the line, z1 or z1' for line 1, z2 or z2' for line 2, same for the variable 'x')

Then I equate both lines to find the intersection in which the stronghold is located just by doing mx + b = mx + b (where the first equation comes from the equation of Line 1, the second equation comes from line 2) and after finding x, we substitute x to either of the two equations z= mx + b to find the z coordinate. Then the two points we got (x, z) will be the approximate point of where the stronghold will be located, just dig down to see.

NOTES: I replaced the traditional y to z since we're talking about north and south. The original line equation is y = mx + b.

Oh this sht is getting serious.

Epicness1324

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Interesting.

(Why must 1 word posts be labeled as spam?)
Posted Image
I am ninja'd far too often.

Pinkamena_314
  • Minecraft: Pinkamena_314

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Fascinating. I'd never be able to pull this off for multiple reasons, but it's a brilliant trick all the same.
"Sometimes, I just wanna give up, say 'I'm done with this mess' and go to bed. But you know what; you can't shrug off your responsibilities. You got to pull yourself up and meet the challenges head on. That's the only way you're gonna get ahead in life."