• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

What mob grinder design do you consider best?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

KadwynMC
  • Minecraft: KadwynMC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

Assuming you have plentiful resources, what mob grinder design would you consider best? Piston pusher? Spawning pads (if so, what size?)? sky trap? Underground trap with mobavator?

I'm just wondering what people tend to prefer.

Register or log in to remove.

Yomoneyman
  • Minecraft: yomoneyman

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

To be really specific i would make this enderman farm but make it more efficient.

KadwynMC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:24 AM

View PostYomoneyman, on 28 August 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

To be really specific i would make this enderman farm but make it more efficient.

That's a piston pusher. That's my personal preference but it's very expensive.

Peppe
    Peppe

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1215 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:20 AM

New world I build this sifter design I came up with:

Built it underground in my latest world and it is a lot more work to make efficient dealing with caves and slime chunks in the area.  Built it in the sky on a survival world and the main limit was getting enough blocks for pistons + the trap.  Went to build it after finding the first few diamonds of the world and ended up needing to branch mine a lot more.

May try to a new similar build without a clock to shift the floors and try tripwire.

L0uch3
    L0uch3

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'd say a piston pusher type, after all you controll the mobs and don't rely on their wandering or so.

DispenserWither
  • Minecraft: DispenserWither

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

I would like the fashion of where Mobs fall from a High Height and take fall damage and dies from their fall leaving also a Good Way of looting the following mob loots too.

zfz
    zfz

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Piston pushers I suppose.

Although I generally build two experience farms, first one early on using simple 8x8 spawn pads with a fall trap just to get my Fortune III on the way. Enderman farm won't help early on because you simply can't build it.

But I suppose we all have to wait what Jeb decides to do to mob grinder in general. I have a feeling he's going to nerf all mob grinders by the time 1.4 is released. In the end we may have to begin building mob dispensers that dish out one mob at a time for us to kill to simulate killing mobs in the wild.
Posted Image

Novak_uk
    Novak_uk

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hi, I redesigned a version of JL279's resource friendly mob grinder for 1.3 to try and make use of it's features.

Here are some images of some views of it.

This is an example of two spawning cells and how they can join easily. (they can also stack directly on top so the floor of the above one acts as the roof of the bottom one.)
Posted Image
Posted Image

And here's an overview of one I made in creative that is able to get 33k items per hour. I'm currently making it on my survival world.
Posted Image

Each cell uses 4 redstone in total (if you don't make a redstone lamp lighting system.) and also only uses 2 iron per cell. The rest of the resources are easy to get.

If you have any more questions :P just give me a shout.

silentower09

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

^
Full details like mob science used.

KadwynMC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostNovak_uk, on 28 August 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

Hi, I redesigned a version of JL279's resource friendly mob grinder for 1.3 to try and make use of it's features.

Here are some images of some views of it.

This is an example of two spawning cells and how they can join easily. (they can also stack directly on top so the floor of the above one acts as the roof of the bottom one.)
Posted Image
Posted Image

And here's an overview of one I made in creative that is able to get 33k items per hour. I'm currently making it on my survival world.
Posted Image

Each cell uses 4 redstone in total (if you don't make a redstone lamp lighting system.) and also only uses 2 iron per cell. The rest of the resources are easy to get.

If you have any more questions :P just give me a shout.

You wouldn't really need to use a redstone lamp lighting system would you? What about just a line of redstone that unpowered all the pistons and flooded the spawning area? (I assume that those pistons are for holding water back.)

Novak_uk
    Novak_uk

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

View Postsilentower09, on 28 August 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

^
Full details like mob science used.
Is this a question?

It's very basic. It's not trying to be the most efficient or best mob grinder in the game, however, is trying to be efficient in terms of resources.
This mob trap forces only skeletons, creepers, and zombies to spawn in each cell. This is because of the simple reason of only those can spawn in a 2 high area (apart from spiders). So, I did try to take out all of the walls and place half slabs in areas to force spiders not to spawn, however, this basically ruined the water flow and just made it more difficult really. Spiders need a 3x3 space of 1 high air blocks around the block that is chosen to spawn on, so therefore, the walls need to stop that, and they do.
One smaller, but very effective feature of this is the vines at the bottom of the big mob grinder (see the third picture) because they allow the mobs to reset their fall. This is important because if the mobs were falling straight down, there are a couple of occasions where mobs somehow manage to survive the fall and you will need lava to kill them. With the vines, every single mob dies. (that i've seen)

View PostKadwynMC, on 28 August 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

You wouldn't really need to use a redstone lamp lighting system would you? What about just a line of redstone that unpowered all the pistons and flooded the spawning area? (I assume that those pistons are for holding water back.)
Hey, yeah, I did give that a go. However, it's very difficult to do without making gaps between each layer for the redstone to disable the redstone torches. I think it is definitely doable, however, I don't think much redstone at all would be saved. But go ahead Posted Image give it a go.

Edit:
One suggestion could be to have pistons pull back the roof at the very top of the mob grinder... however, I haven't tested this, and it may not completely shut it down. For my survival world, I want it to have the ability to turn half of the mob grinder off, and keep the rest running, so I didn't test this.

KadwynMC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hey, yeah, I did give that a go. However, it's very difficult to do without making gaps between each layer for the redstone to disable the redstone torches. I think it is definitely doable, however, I don't think much redstone at all would be saved. But go ahead Posted Image give it a go.

Edit:
One suggestion could be to have pistons pull back the roof at the very top of the mob grinder... however, I haven't tested this, and it may not completely shut it down. For my survival world, I want it to have the ability to turn half of the mob grinder off, and keep the rest running, so I didn't test this.

World download perhaps?

Saves me building it and then MCEditing (most stable program ever).

Ronar1
    Ronar1

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Minecraft: Ronar1

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

You can also try a original creeper, spider, zombie, skele trap in the sky (to make it so that its isolated similar to endermen farm) and then either have a piston clock washing out mobs with water ever few seconds (to deal with frozen mobs) or have a minecart running along the outside of the trap to unfreeze mobs. Like the minecart loops around and goes past collection point so you can afk.

I'm pretty sure Kiershar has youtube vids on those.

A lot less resource consuming than pistons and allows more spawning space and isn't restricted just to endermen.

3DS FC: 3540 - 0163 - 8988
My friend safari is water, PM me and I'll add you!

Novak_uk
    Novak_uk

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostKadwynMC, on 28 August 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

World download perhaps?

Saves me building it and then MCEditing (most stable program ever).
Would it be possible to suggest a decent upload site? Mediafire seems to just get stuck and say "Queued" when there isn't anything before it.

KadwynMC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

View PostNovak_uk, on 28 August 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

Would it be possible to suggest a decent upload site? Mediafire seems to just get stuck and say "Queued" when there isn't anything before it.

FileDropper, Sendspace, Dropbox (if you have an account) I'm sure one of those will work.

Novak_uk
    Novak_uk

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Here we are. Have a play.

I did notice that my pictures earlier were missing the water *facepalm*. Nice one on working it out ;D

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4k8aiy

Oh yeah, quick note, on that world file, it only works during the night because of the sunlight...

KadwynMC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostNovak_uk, on 28 August 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

I did notice that my pictures earlier were missing the water *facepalm*. Nice one on working it out ;D

Oh yeah, quick note, on that world file, it only works during the night because of the sunlight...

Cheers I'll have a tinker.

christofaaart
  • Minecraft: megachrishimself

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

got to confess, for me, you can't beat a bit of the old fashioned, spawner pads and a drop/lava trap/drowning killer (personally i go for a drowner usually) idk, i guess i'm a little old fashioned

KadwynMC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

View PostNovak_uk, on 28 August 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

Yeah the only way I can see of inverting all the torches is by making all the pads with an extra block gap between them vertically, which I don't think is really worth it.

Chick0nHead

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Huge spawning platforms up in the air then they drop and get killed, but i have 3 mob killing machines in tekkit server idk how to explain those :)

Posted Image