Many people have been asking what's gonna happen to Better Sprinting when 1.7 (1.6.3?) comes out, and honestly I don't see why - the mod adds a whole bunch of features to the sprinting system 1.7 still won't have, like ability to disable double-tapping W, toggle keys or the popular flying boost. For these reasons, the mod will continue to be updated, it will just take a little extra time to adapt to the new Controls menu and sprinting system.
I'd also like to add some self-promotion here, Better Sprinting isn't my only mod and so I would be grateful if you checked out Hardcore Ender Expansion mod which adds a whole bunch of hardcore adventure aspects to the game. Thanks!
How long until updating to 1.7?
MCP (a modder's necessity) is updated, but it will take another update to be able to create mods, which may take days, perhaps even a week or longer. Then I will have to study the new code and then rewrite the mod, but I'll do my best and try to get it updated quickly, and bug-free.
Forge will need to be partially rewritten too, which means you won't see that for even longer. As soon as Forge updates though, I should be able to get the Forge version of Better Sprinting pretty soon.
If you want to stay updated, go follow me on Twitter, where I'll let you know about estimations, update status etc., as well as updates of Hardcore Ender Expansion mod mentioned above.
Current sprinting system is buggy, people have problems with it, so I created a mod, that allows you to bind sprinting to a key! Great thing about it is, that it's fully compatible with many popular mods like Forge, Optifine or SPC!
List of features
- Sprint (hold) key which allows you to sprint
- Sprint (toggle) key which when pressed, toggles between sprinting and walking
- Sneak (toggle) key which when pressed, toggles sneaking
- Sprint menu key to quickly access Better Sprinting settings ingame (default: O)
- Option to turn on/off double tapping W
- Flying boost when sprinting while flying in creative mode*
- Option to enable or disable sprinting in all directions*
* Flying boost in survival mode (/fly, spectating games and such), and sprinting in all directions is disabled by default, but you can enable it on your server - visit the !! How to enable flying boost and/or sprinting in all directions on a server !! section below
Showcase of v11 by TheNoGoodMiner
Showcase of v7 by setosorcerer
Showcases of older versions
1.6.4 SSP (v11) - vanilla (adfly) forge (adfly)
1.6.2 SSP (v11) - vanilla (adfly-mediafire) forge (adfly-mediafire) / vanilla (adfly-box) forge (adfly-box)
See spoiler for old versions and non-adfly links:
If you want, you can help out by donating! The link goes to my website and redirects to PayPal. Thanks!
New version 8 July 2013
- Performance optimizations
New version 1 July 2013
- Heavily modified server-side settings
How to install
1.6.1 or newer (vanilla)
Because installation got a bit harder, I also made a video tutorial.
If you have Mac and the tutorial didn't work for you, watch this general mod installation guide.
1. Go to versions folder
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft/versions
2. Find a folder with version you want to install Better Sprinting to (I'll use 1.6.1 as an example in the tutorial)
3. Copy the folder and rename it to 1.6.1_sprint
4. Go inside the folder, and rename 1.6.1.jar and 1.6.1.json to 1.6.1_sprint.jar and 1.6.1_sprint.json
5. Open 1.6.1_sprint.jar in an archiving software (I suggest WinRAR)
6. Download the mod and copy all files into the .jar file
7. Delete folder META-INF from the .jar file
8. Open 1.6.1_sprint.json in any text editor
9. Find "id": "1.6.1", and change it to "id": "1.6.1_sprint"
10. Run the new launcher, press Edit profile, select release 1.6.1_sprint version and Save profile. Then you're ready to go!
1.6.1 or newer (forge)
1. Make sure you have Forge installed and ran at least once
2. Go to mods folder
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft/mods
3. Download Forge version of Better Sprinting, open the .zip file in an archiving software (I suggest WinRAR) and put the .jar file into the mods folder
1.5.2 or older
1. Open minecraft.jar in an archiving software (I suggest WinRAR)
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft/bin
2. Download the mod and copy all files into minecraft.jar
3. Delete folder META-INF from minecraft.jar
Installing with other mods
There are some mods that don't work along Better Sprinting, here you can find fixes or special instructions for installing them!
Install both Better Sprinting and Player API in any order, then download a fix and install it.
1.5.2: adfly / mediafire
1.5.1: adfly / mediafire
Install both mods, and then a fix made by djmati11. Capecraft is available here.
1.5, v7: download fix
1.4.7, v7: download fix
Install Forge version of MC Capes.
Optifine, Single Player Commands
Recent version of Better Sprinting should be 100% compatible with these mods!
How to enable flying boost and/or sprinting in all directions on a server
Download Better Sprinting settings, open the .zip file in an archiving software and install the .jar file inside as a regular plugin (put the .jar file into /plugins/ folder and restart the server). Now, the OPs can use this command to change the server-side settings:
/bs <enable|disable> <flyBoostInSurvival|sprintInAllDirs>
Example: /bs enable sprintInAllDirs will enable sprinting in all directions
Troubleshooting (how to make a report)
If you encounter any problems with the mod, please include following information in your report:
- other mods you have installed, and in which order
- version of Minecraft (and Forge if installed) and version of Better Sprinting you downloaded
- crash report, if the game crashes/blackscreens
This will make fixing problems much faster!
Terms and conditions
YOU ARE ALLOWED TO:
- Use my mods, and make videos and screenshots of them
- Decompile and recompile my mods for personal use
- Share all or chosen mods by reffering to their original adfly link, minecraftforum post (if exists) or their official website (chylex.fo2.cz)
- Reupload any of my mods, or modifications of them
- Claim any of my mods as yours
- Profit on my mods in any way (for example adf.ly)
- Add any of my mods into a modpack without letting me know
Enjoy the mod!
If you want to share it, you can put this amateur banner I made into your signature
If you find any bugs, please, tell me and I'll fix them as fast as I can .
If you want to know about every updates and new mods, follow me on twitter:
I also wouldn't mind if you voted up this post. It gives me lot of motivation. Thanks.