Stardog
    Stardog

Carpenter

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:16 AM

Download
What?
  • Sketchup 7 components/textures to build minecraft structures inside Sketchup for those who use it.
Why?
  • To quickly rough out large structures you might want to build in-game to see if they look nice, before you commit to building them in Custom Client or MCEdit.
  • For creating cool renders/art using Vray/Shaderlight/whatever.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Notes/Tips
  • Components are in (Window > Components > Home button)
  • Textures are in (Window > Materials > Home button)
  • Never edit a component, always "Explode/Make Unique" (right-click menu) before editing it. If you don't, changing one will change every other instance of that component including the one embedded in the file by default.
  • Group after exploding to keep seperate from other geometry. Triple-click > right-click > Group.
  • Double-click to edit Groups/Components.
  • The units are metres. An MC block (and, therefore, the grid) is 1x1x1m in this.
  • 3 grid components are provided. These are good for creating the base of cylindrical structures or irregularly shaped terrain (go crazy with the eraser tool to clean the middles). Increase grid size by duplicating.
  • To duplicate, press CTRL with Move/Rotate/Etc active. Also makes Push/Pull tool an Extrude tool.
  • After drawing a Line, Extruding, or Moving anything, you can type a number then hit enter to move it an exact amount. You should be doing this almost all the time. Look bottom-right for measurements.
  • Arrow keys while moving stuff snaps to that axis.
    • Example: Draw a rectangle any size. Type "1,1". Press Enter. Extrude any size, type "1", press Enter. You have a block now. Group it. To move 9 blocks up, click the Move tool on a corner, press UP ARROW once, move any distance, type "9", press Enter. A block now floats in the air exactly 9 blocks up.
  • Try not to stack individual blocks/components that are the same, because the polygon count will increase. A 1x9x1 (X = <>, y = up/down, z = in/out) should be one rectangular box (6 faces), not 9 stacked (54 faces).
  • No flowers/signs/mine tracks/ladders etc because I couldn't be assed, and it's mostly for testing out structures. It should be easy for you to create your own new materials and apply them if you want.

Q: I can't afford those good renderers and can't export to much because I don't own Sketchup Pro.
  • Google these Sketchup plugins to get the limited/free trials - Shaderlight, Podium, Twilight, VRay for Sketchup, LightUp, IDX Renditioner
  • Try Kerkythea. I think it can render using the free Sketchup exporters.

Q: Can I export my current level and make a render of it?
  • Not unless there's a program that exports levels. And it probably wouldn't import into Sketchup afterwards anyway and certainly not with proper textures applied.

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

BigD145
    BigD145

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:18 AM

!! Sweet. I've always wanted to play with sketchup, but never really found the time.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

codewarrior

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:59 AM

I have no idea what Sketchup is, but if this lets you run a Minecraft level through a high budget renderer, that is incredible!  I can't wait to see some renders!
MCEdit: Minecraft World Editor

"We will absolutely not keep in mind what external mapeditors will have to do to read data from the disk, that makes no sense whatsoever." - Grum

Archanos

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:34 AM

How is the sketch up starter file even suppose to work if it does not have the required files? What is it even for?

Towel
    Towel

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1332 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:16 AM

I am simply posting so I can watch this thread and be in awe at the glorious content some of the forum members create
meowmeow

Stardog
    Stardog

Carpenter

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

Archanos said:

How is the sketch up starter file even suppose to work if it does not have the required files? What is it even for?
I think I put the wrong Mediafire link before. Try now. Just open the .skp file.
Posted Image

Archanos

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the update, oh and also I have heard that there is an obj. to minecraft program;
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=645

But I've never tried it, so dunno how well it works

Also the textures are blurry

Mive
    Mive

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

Have already tried this myself, it's nice and all, but it's a shame the textures are soo blurry.
Minecraft, lovely Minecraft :D
Posted Image  Posted Image

8U
    8U

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

Oh my God, this is amazing.

Arawana
    Arawana

Carpenter

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

I can't download Mirror2. File Dropper loads shortly after I entered the Letters and I get to the "www.filedropper.com" site. Help? Please?

Stardog
    Stardog

Carpenter

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

Arawana said:

I can't download Mirror2. File Dropper loads shortly after I entered the Letters and I get to the "www.filedropper.com" site. Help? Please?
You only need to choose one of the mirrors. Try 1 or 3.
Posted Image

Archanos

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

Posted Image
right click view image to view the whole image

supercolio
  • Location: Flying through the universe with my mighty jar of rasberry jam!

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

Oh my god.
Seriously that is THE awsome thing.
And these models look almost better that original game... I want to sleep inside stardog's fort.
Posted Image

layla
    layla

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

any chance you could convert that to .obj? I'd like to try something.

delta7890
  • Minecraft: delta7890

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:06 AM

Simply awesome

Zachariasmith
  • Minecraft: Zachariasmith

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:44 AM

Most excellent! I will definitly try this out tomorrow. ( It's 12:45 right now...  :Zombie: )
This text is just here to take up space. Congratulations. You found it!-Zachariasmith

supercolio
  • Location: Flying through the universe with my mighty jar of rasberry jam!

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:59 AM

I tried this but when I started copying and placing blocks they all go wrong ._.
Posted Image

Stardog
    Stardog

Carpenter

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:33 PM

supercolio said:

I tried this but when I started copying and placing blocks they all go wrong ._.
In what way?
Posted Image

salisburymistake

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:38 PM

What renderer did you use in the image in the first post? I tried Twilight renderer and it looks dreadful.

Stardog
    Stardog

Carpenter

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

I used Shaderlight. That and Vray will give the best results, but that's why they cost so much.
Posted Image