Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Windows 8

windows 8

• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

FutureNyanCat

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

The Where's My Water and the Where's My Perry apps from the Windows Store could need some fixing.
I downloaded them, tested out and they crashed.

Posted Image

| YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/Jaden1291 | Forum: http://futurenyancat2002.prophpbb.com/ |

FutureNyanCat. The Nyan Cat of the Forum. Current Version: v120.0 (Despicable Kitty Update)

Register or log in to remove.

cubmandan
  • Minecraft: cubmandan
  • Xbox:cubmandk

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

It really bothers me how you don't have a choice to use the Windows 7 glass look on Windows 8.
Posted Image

fm87
    fm87

Beyond the Horizon

• Members
  • 22016 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

View Postcubmandan, on 19 January 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

It really bothers me how you don't have a choice to use the Windows 7 glass look on Windows 8.
I'm sure this is something easily changed, people have been customizing the window borders/taskbar since forever.

_Myst
    _Myst

Retired Loompa

• Retired Staff
  • 8043 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

View Postcubmandan, on 19 January 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

Yea that really made me mad, I loved the transparency. The worst part is they went out of their way to remove it and make it as difficult as possible to bring it back.

horahora~

Posted Image

Fiskav
    Fiskav

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2735 posts
  • Minecraft: Fiskav

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

View Post_Myst, on 19 January 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Yea that really made me mad, I loved the transparency. The worst part is they went out of their way to remove it and make it as difficult as possible to bring it back.

I prefer the new, flat style to Aero.

cubmandan
  • Minecraft: cubmandan
  • Xbox:cubmandk

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

View Postfm87, on 19 January 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

I'm sure this is something easily changed, people have been customizing the window borders/taskbar since forever.
Well like _Myst said, they are trying to make it hard to get the glassy look back.However, there is a way it can be changed but it really doesn't look all that great compared to the Windows 7 glass look.
Here is what it looks like:
Posted Image

View PostFiskav, on 19 January 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

I prefer the new, flat style to Aero.
I have seen a lot of people say this. I do think they should still give us the option to bring it back however. I don't see the downside to letting people use the glassy look.
Posted Image

MrDenco
    MrDenco

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1657 posts
  • Minecraft: MrDenco

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

I don't understand why Microsoft would go out of their way to abolish the glassy look.  

The start menu is literally the least of my worries.  I will instantly remove the MS crapoware, remove the stupid ADHD updating tiles, and customize it as much as possible for functionality.

When I am working i really don't want to have facebook, twitter, some random news article, the weather, pictures, dates, etc flashing in my face.

It annoys me to see that everyday Personal Computing is being reduced to facebook and angry birds.

The commercials play upbeat, deamingly cool techno music.  And show an UI that looks like it is designed for 3 year olds, while playing Ice Age 3.  Who's Idea was that?

I hate that they dumbed down/removed some advanced features for the sake of the average user.

I am open for change.  However this isn't change.  It is a rash revolution.

MS is closed off from the outside world.  Try to contact them ( I mean about anything).  I dare you.

Couldn't they have mad the interface look cool at least?  I mean, OSX and LInux both boast some clean, slick interfaces.  Again.  Win8's audience must be little children.

I was at best buy a couple days after the launch of window 8.  Many people where disparagingly confused and genuinely displeased.

The simple act of closing an app should be straight forward.  Took anyone a while to figure it out.

Microsoft literally took a big dump on anyone who wishes to use their computer for functional use.  

I bet they augmented working on developing a light and stable, quick and responsive OS for completely doing god knows what.  ( I know that it is obviously more stable etc, but how much more could it have been?)

I get that it is new, and that some people are just automatically against it.  That is not me.  I try and try again to learn to love it.  However its short comings fail me every time.
I always wanted to argue with a brick wall, I suppose the internet is the second best option.

fm87
    fm87

Beyond the Horizon

• Members
  • 22016 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

So................ You're mad because the market turned the personal computer into a home appliance, and Microsoft is adapting to the market change to give consumers, essentially, exactly what they want?

Mr. Pie Guy
  • Minecraft: Mr_Pie_Guy1234

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

Well, windows 8 pro's upgrade price is being increased to $199.99 from the original $40... okay...
If I helped you, please click that + button on the bottom-right of my post, it would really help!

MrDenco
    MrDenco

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1657 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

View Postfm87, on 21 January 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

So................ You're mad because the market turned the personal computer into a home appliance, and Microsoft is adapting to the market change to give consumers, essentially, exactly what they want?

The consumers tend to conform to the supplier.  Look at the world we live in today.  It is dictated by what we are given, not what we clammor for.

Windows 8 promotes this:
http://www.appup.com...ium_820x480.png
http://i1-news.softp....jpg?1351244690

Even apple promotes productive lifestyles
http://www.technolog...-commercial.jpg
http://www.technobuf...012-640x480.jpg

Yeah, some people call macs expensive facebook machines.  But really now?  I see people blogging, creating photos (real stuff, not 3 y/o paint paintings) using mature programs like adobe suit etc.  They buy a mac because they feel it helps them create something to share with the world.  

Windows 8:  Buy this to play angry birds and look up pictures of a gallerie.  

I truly do not know where to place the blame.  I am overall unhappy that humanity, in the computer world, is being turned into a bunch of unproductive consuming arbitrary entities.

No drive to create.
No drive to do more.
No drive to work at something.
No drive to be productive.

That is the lifestyle Windows 8 promotes. Do nothing.  Be at ease.  Encounter no difficulties.  Feel no pain.  

** I am not saying that programs shouldn't be easy to use, or that you should encouter issues with a program or OS.  I am saying that there is a lifestyle shift from powering through hard tasks to defaulting to arbitrary idle activity.

Not to mention the metro UI is just sad.  Literally.  Who's idea was it?  I mean the idea is okay.  I LIKE THE CONCEPT.  I hate the design.  I know you can change it but seriously, who even actually wants their computer to be like that.

THough maybe I should consider this a blessing.  It will be much easier to find a job/become bourgeois/assume power/control the populace.
I always wanted to argue with a brick wall, I suppose the internet is the second best option.

CounterStrikeNoob

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

Windows 7 vs. Windows 8 + Start8 = I'm sorry, but I can't tell the difference between the two.

Posted Image

BKrenz
    BKrenz

Last Guardian of SCT

• Sectional Moderator
  • 4596 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

View PostMrDenco, on 22 January 2013 - 02:29 AM, said:

The consumers tend to conform to the supplier.  Look at the world we live in today.  It is dictated by what we are given, not what we clammor for.

I mean, according to the late Steve Jobs, "The people don't know what they want. We have to show them what they want."
"Programmers never repeat themselves. They loop."

MrDenco
    MrDenco

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1657 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

View PostBKrenz, on 22 January 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

I mean, according to the late Steve Jobs, "The people don't know what they want. We have to show them what they want."

Seems to be the general trend.

fm87
    fm87

Beyond the Horizon

• Members
  • 22016 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Because time and time again, it's been shown that when people get what they want, it's not what they want.

You give them a city block, they want a planet.

BKrenz
    BKrenz

Last Guardian of SCT

• Sectional Moderator
  • 4596 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

View Postfm87, on 22 January 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

Because time and time again, it's been shown that when people get what they want, it's not what they want.

You give them a city block, they want a planet.

Can I have the Sudetenland? I might also want Austria... And the rest of Europe... With only my people around...

fm87
    fm87

Beyond the Horizon

• Members
  • 22016 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

View PostBKrenz, on 22 January 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

Can I have the Sudetenland? I might also want Austria... And the rest of Europe... With only my people around...
Well, sure, if you want less than a planet, I guess that can work too.

But it's still far more than a city block.

But yeah TL;DR, personal computers and tablets are home appliances now. Deal with it.

Sambaru
    Sambaru

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2081 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

I really like windows 8 on my laptop, but it would probably be bad on my desktop pc.
Posted Image

BKrenz
    BKrenz

Last Guardian of SCT

• Sectional Moderator
  • 4596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostSambaru, on 29 January 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

I really like windows 8 on my laptop, but it would probably be bad on my desktop pc.

I'm not how you can derive a difference in the experiences. I don't see any difference between using a laptop and a desktop.

Tacobell5811

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

View PostMrDenco, on 22 January 2013 - 02:29 AM, said:

Windows 8 promotes this:
http://www.appup.com...ium_820x480.png
http://i1-news.softp....jpg?1351244690

Even apple promotes productive lifestyles
http://www.technolog...-commercial.jpg
http://www.technobuf...012-640x480.jpg

Yeah, some people call macs expensive facebook machines.  But really now?  I see people blogging, creating photos (real stuff, not 3 y/o paint paintings) using mature programs like adobe suit etc.  They buy a mac because they feel it helps them create something to share with the world.  

Windows 8:  Buy this to play angry birds and look up pictures of a gallerie.  

I truly do not know where to place the blame.  I am overall unhappy that humanity, in the computer world, is being turned into a bunch of unproductive consuming arbitrary entities.

No drive to create.
No drive to do more.
No drive to work at something.
No drive to be productive.

That is the lifestyle Windows 8 promotes. Do nothing.  Be at ease.  Encounter no difficulties.  Feel no pain.  

** I am not saying that programs shouldn't be easy to use, or that you should encouter issues with a program or OS.  I am saying that there is a lifestyle shift from powering through hard tasks to defaulting to arbitrary idle activity.

Not to mention the metro UI is just sad.  Literally.  Who's idea was it?  I mean the idea is okay.  I LIKE THE CONCEPT.  I hate the design.  I know you can change it but seriously, who even actually wants their computer to be like that.

THough maybe I should consider this a blessing.  It will be much easier to find a job/become bourgeois/assume power/control the populace.
Ok so let me get this straight. you say windows encourages to do nothing. Then say macs encourage productivity. Then say how windows comes with nothing good for creativity then say about how people are productive with macs with adobe which isn't free. Which is also available on windows. And we have faster hardware for cheaper. and we have quicksync
Posted Image

MrDenco
    MrDenco

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1657 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

View PostTacobell5811, on 31 January 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

Ok so let me get this straight. you say windows encourages to do nothing. Then say macs encourage productivity. Then say how windows comes with nothing good for creativity then say about how people are productive with macs with adobe which isn't free. Which is also available on windows. And we have faster hardware for cheaper. and we have quicksync

It isn't about the programs.  Sorry about that.  
I am saying that the way one interacts with Windows 7 or OSX encourages people to produce their own digital stuff.  Windows 8 attempts to stop this, in lieu of playing angry birds, constant twitter updates, and random news stories flashing in your face.