38 replies to this topic

MikeZoo
    MikeZoo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Minecraft: MikeZoo

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

I need some ideas for a room in a medieval-type castle, these rooms are just for aesthetics (Just Looks).
I already have the following rooms: kitchen, dining room, servant's quarters, lounging area, king's quarters, guest room, library/trophy room, and throne room.

What rooms i don't need: Ballroom, crop farm, storage room, furnace room, etc. And I've already looked at a bunch of the lists on the forums.

Register or log in to remove.

IronwillNeo

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:47 AM

a castle can have also prison with lots of cells and traps, a temple (or place for prays) inside, "many" soldier rooms and defensive places to give advantage to the soldiers protecting the castle from inside (like one corridor only from one area to another area of the castle, a place where the "soldier", another player or just the idea, can activate a trap while watching the invader fall for it or die at it, etc), thick walls with corridors at it that allow a view of the outside and allow attacks from it to defend the castle.

I dont know why u dont need a storage room inside the castle. the castle is meant to be a strong defensive structure meant to last and protect through several weeks of brutal attacks, maybe even months, of attacks, what mean it need supplies inside or else everyone will die in just some days, maybe weeks if castle is surrounded. (just an idea, I think it is needed).
Adept of Little Washu, because no one build great stuff like the greatest genius of the universe
LINKS TO MY BUILDS: http://www.minecraft...nithou-kingdom/

MikeZoo
    MikeZoo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:22 AM

this castle is in a town and the castle is all aesthetics (for looks), there is a prison in the town, there is a temple/church in the town, there is also a barracks in the town, and the town and castle is surrounded by a wall. this castle is just for looks, that's why it doesn't need a storage room or traps. i was saying storage, furnace room, etc. because that is usually for survival mode buildings. I'm just try to fill some rooms up and i've completely out of ideas.

mizzery2u

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

If it's just for looks then just do the outside of it if it's not meant to be taken seriously on the inside. :)
"War will end us" - H.G. Wells

MikeZoo
    MikeZoo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:13 AM

Posted Image .... It's for looks on the inside and the outside... Posted Image and it's meant to be taken seriously, like this topic. :)

IronwillNeo

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

and, for the reason you said (that the castle is to be taken seriously) . . . u shouldnt consider you are building at creative for creative,u should consider u are building at creative for people to play at survival (indeed, that is what I do, check the castle at my signature)
Adept of Little Washu, because no one build great stuff like the greatest genius of the universe

Shadow Wolf Alpha
  • Minecraft: duderock101

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostIronwillNeo, on 25 August 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

and, for the reason you said (that the castle is to be taken seriously) . . . u shouldnt consider you are building at creative for creative,u should consider u are building at creative for people to play at survival (indeed, that is what I do, check the castle at my signature)

This. Your building a castle? So build a castle. And castle's include prison cells, defensive position, storage rooms.

Posted Image

The_gang
    The_gang

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

Add a barracks and a stable. ;-)

Stravagante
  • Minecraft: Stravagante
  • Xbox:Stravagante

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

I can think of a few..

Solar- A feature found in old keeps; it was a large airy south-facing room designed to let as much light in as possible. Partially recreational and partly a place to welcome diplomats and other Nobles, the resident Lord's family would often spend time in this room. Consider birch planks and glass.
Dungeon- No matter how well kept a Lord's land is, there are always those who would break the law. If you want, including an oubliette could be something to consider. Mossy Cobblestone and vines could be useful here.
Treasury- Basically a vault, because every Lord had some gold secured somewhere, no? Consider adding paintings, 'statues' and bookshelves. "All that glisters is not gold", as they say. Consider a secret switch, located behind a painting (jump to access the door?) to access the diamond vault. Plush woolen block 'carpeting' could be used here.
Mage's/Scholar's Tower- A little fantasy never hurt anyone. An enchanting bench taking pride of place, or possibly an alchemy lab if you prefer not to have magical influences. Having a hidden stairwell down to a Nether research area and connected portal could hint at a darker side to the resident scholar's interests.
Hidden Passageways- Because we all love 'em, no? Doors behind paintings, normally closed, with an entrance to the corridors and ladders in the Lord's chamber or study could be fun.
Armory/Barracks- A good castle needs it's defenders, and so your militia, guardsmen or housecarls must be provisioned, housed and fed. Connected armory, barracks and canteen with access to the battlements are a staple for any castle. Consider murderholes and arrowslits for the defenders.
Chapel- While a castle town has it's own church or similar temple, the keep would often have a smaller, self-contained chapel for the Lord's family to pray and meditate. A single block of gold with redstone torch could suffice for the altar here.
Kennels/Stable- A lord has his noble steeds and faithful hounds for the hunt, of course! Spawn a few wolves and bones and gather them in the kennels. While pigs COULD be used in the stables.. perhaps leaving them empty would be a wiser course of action.
Great Hall- An area for banquets and feasts to be held, long-tables with banners and large hearths spewing heat into the room. What castle doesn't have one of these? Don't forget a good throne too!
Observatory- Possibly you could include this with the Tower, glass aplenty. Possibly black wool for the flooring, don't forget books to help people understand their surroundings!
Ice room- We forget that cooling food was once a hard thing to do in the past, accustomed as we are to freezers and fridges in every home. A dark cave with kept ice was a sign of wealth and power. Used in both cooling food and eating ice as is to help show superiority over inferior nobles. Not often actually in the keep, but somewhere in the grounds.
Gardens- A simple herb garden, or one of leisure. Many estates had one of these, perhaps consider a simple waist-high maze for the nobility to amuse themselves with one summer's day?
Well- To survive a siege, you need water. One in the castle town, of course! But also one in the keep proper.

Finally, try spawning a few chickens in the town and/or courtyard.

jaimyisawesome

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

you could use this for some inspiration:
http://www.minecraft.../#entry17341575
don't mind the name, i was tired...

SPASTIC
    SPASTIC

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • Location: Out of this world in a land of wonderful people and culture, where there is no such thing as sexism,ageism and racism, LOL im joking... its Poland :D
  • Minecraft: MuffinLiberal

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Secret exit? like an escape tunnel or something?
Posted Image

fabinatoren
  • Minecraft: Fabinatoren

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Wow this was exactly what I looked for :)
I am building a huge Castle and your post was very good help for me
I lost my inspiration a few days ago, then I started looking for lists of rooms in a castle, and then I found this:)
thank you very much guys :)

so far my castle has: a throne room, a royal living-room, a royal bedroom, a royal garden, two bedrooms for servants, two living-rooms for servants, a library, a prison, a resource store room, a kitchen, a food storage, barracks for guards, soldiers and archers, war-machine room with catapults, ballistas and ammo-carts, training room and a blacksmith :)
it also has a big city around it with lots of houses, wells and a huge fountain in the middle

please dont ask for download, I post it here wen finished :)

P.S. I will post the names on the guys who helped me, and MikeZoo, IronwillNeo and Stravagante will be on this list :)
Thank you!!!

IronwillNeo

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

View Postfabinatoren, on 12 March 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

Wow this was exactly what I looked for Posted Image
I am building a huge Castle and your post was very good help for me
I lost my inspiration a few days ago, then I started looking for lists of rooms in a castle, and then I found this:)
thank you very much guys Posted Image

so far my castle has: a throne room, a royal living-room, a royal bedroom, a royal garden, two bedrooms for servants, two living-rooms for servants, a library, a prison, a resource store room, a kitchen, a food storage, barracks for guards, soldiers and archers, war-machine room with catapults, ballistas and ammo-carts, training room and a blacksmith Posted Image
it also has a big city around it with lots of houses, wells and a huge fountain in the middle

please dont ask for download, I post it here wen finished Posted Image

P.S. I will post the names on the guys who helped me, and MikeZoo, IronwillNeo and Stravagante will be on this list Posted Image
Thank you!!!
u checked the castle and kingdom (the first post at the castle topic, the link at my signature: http://www.minecraft...-nithou-castle/ , have a link to the kingdom topic)?

dont know if it is what you want to build but, the inner rooms may give you ideas.

DJNinjaLegend
  • Minecraft: DJNinjaLegend

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Throne Room
Kitchen
Barracks
Cellar
Great Hall/Dining Hall
Sleeping Quarters
Royal Chambers (Like the sleeping quarters but more posh)
Secret Escape Tunnels
Gardens
Courtyard?
A Well

Just some ideas I thought of when looking back to my Castles + Castles/Keeps in Skyrim :)
Spoiler:

fabinatoren

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostIronwillNeo, on 12 March 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

u checked the castle and kingdom (the first post at the castle topic, the link at my signature: http://www.minecraft...-nithou-castle/ , have a link to the kingdom topic)?

dont know if it is what you want to build but, the inner rooms may give you ideas.
no I didn't checked the castle and kingdom :)

I am trying to build something like the hyrule castle in the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
try google it. my castle looks much like that :)

123nart
    123nart

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • Minecraft: 123nart

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:53 AM

Mage quarters.
You should really read these books if you're a fan of, well, reading.
[CLOSED FOR NOW]Feel free to apply for the SMP server I play on! Click me to do so!

fabinatoren

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

View Post123nart, on 14 March 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

Mage quarters.
maybe, but I dont want more magic than Enchantements or beacons :)

william 1134

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

You thought about those websites, which have designs on furniture?
Come join us at  The ip is pure-craft.co.uk :)  
Posted Image
Our Dynmap! http://bit.do/purecraft

TVflea
    TVflea

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2188 posts
  • Minecraft: TVflea

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

Every castle needs a parlor.
#PoppyRedArmy

fabinatoren

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostTVflea, on 16 March 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

Every castle needs a parlor.
I've already got two of them :)

View Postwilliam 1134, on 15 March 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

You thought about those websites, which have designs on furniture?
No, I meen like Minecraft got no mana or spells or something like that
it only got enchantements and beacons, right?

so I wonder: how can I make wisard-stuff with no magic?