• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[Adv] The Toybox (A Community Collaboration)

adventure challenge collaboration

• Please log in to reply
787 replies to this topic

rsmalec
    rsmalec

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4541 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:28 AM

POPULAR

This version is NOT compatible with Minecraft 1.5.  Custom spawners and redstone updates may not work as designed.  Sorry.  I have no ETA on an official fix.

Posted Image
A custom map for Minecraft, by the Minecraft community

OVERVIEW

This is a collaborative, linear-branching, adventure map, similar to the "choose your own adventure" books that I loved when I was younger.  
Fifty-four contestants submitted Eighty "entries" that each tell a chapter in the overall story of the adventure map The Toybox.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Download!
I am experimenting with a new hosting solution for my Minecraft custom maps - right here on Curse!
NOTE: COMPATIBLE with Minecraft 1.4.7.  3 of the entries will not work with 1.5 (yet)!
http://www.curse.com...x-collaboration

More videos...
Spoiler:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This challenge was inspired by maps such as;
  Gregolas42's “Accept Your Own Adventure”
  Jigarbov's "Adventure Multiplex"
  rsmalec's "The Library"

FOLLOW this topic for updates and discussion!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel for the video announcements; http://www.youtube.com/rsmalec
And follow me on twitter for other announcements; http://www.twitter.com/rsmalec

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

ColdFusionGaming
  • Minecraft: ColdFusionGaming

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

Ooooh! :D
Posted Image

rsmalec
    rsmalec

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4541 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:39 AM

FAQ

View PostHappyPear, on 25 August 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Does this mean passive mobs or monsters, plus what difficulty should be assume this map will be played on?
I am going for difficulty 'easy'.  Monsters on.  Although.... can the command block change it to peaceful?

Considering the overall map will make use of command blocks and will be played in 1.4, are we allowed to build our entries in the latest snapshot and make use of the new spawner mechanics and command blocks (to tell our story)?
Yes.

You stated that we are not allowed to expand the iron wall up, but are we allowed to expand the iron walls down (into the area given for redstone etc)
You can do anything you need under the story area, yes.  Break all the dirt, place whatever.

View PostFaume, on 25 August 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

Can we assume that mob griefing will be turned off?
That's a good idea I had forgotten.  Yes!

View PostFaume, on 25 August 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

Can we assume KeepInventory will be on?
I don't think so, but I will consider it.

View PostjGazMom, on 25 August 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

Will there be overall map rules that we should take into consideration (such as allowing to craft, break blocks, etc,) or will each level have it's own rules?

Basic rules:
Play on survival mode, at least easy difficulty.  
No breaking blocks unless a room specifies that it is ok, and then it is ONLY ok in that room.
Crafting is allowed if you are given the items to do so.
Placing blocks/items is allowed, but only in the room you receive them.
Room-specific rules will override these basic rules, but ONLY in the current room.

Spawning items is discouraged.
Flight/noclip/etc.. is discouraged.
Switching the time or difficulty is discouraged, unless instructed otherwise (e.g. at a checkpoint)

Anistuffs said:

Why do you prefer a pressureplate, which a mob can inadvertently activate & cause all sorts of mayhem by teleporting the nearest player to a different location in middle of a location, RATHER than a button/lever which ensures player activation?
This was my oversight.  A pressure plate is a bad idea.  Use buttons. Or levers or other creative mob-proof means.

View PostArabus, on 25 August 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

what if we need the players to start in different hights within the "boxes" ? i mean not every one will want players to start at the bottem of the iron room they might want them to go to the basement of a house or something
Ah yes - I forgot to specify that.  You can use any height within that alcove.

Posted Image

ColdFusionGaming
  • Minecraft: ColdFusionGaming

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:41 AM

View Postrsmalec, on 24 August 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

Wow - how'd you find that?  Oops - I should have reserved the second post. Oh well.
Actually, it was perfect timing. You posted just before I clicked on "maps" to see if there were any notable new ones. Posted Image

(I can ask a mod to delete the last post if you do indeed need a second post...)
Posted Image

Kinglau3
    Kinglau3

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1048 posts
  • Minecraft: Kinglau3

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hehehe interesting....
Posted Image

Vladimyr
    Vladimyr

Gold Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 471 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Another challenge? Do Friday evenings count towards the weekend? :)
Posted Image

rsmalec
    rsmalec

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4541 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

In addition to the map contest, I will be looking for:

Contest logos and banners!
Custom Textures!  For mobs and paintings.  (The blocks will remain default texture)
Contest theme song, for use in YouTube video!
Custom player skins!

Submit any of the above to [email protected] or provide a link in this forum.
ORIGINAL WORKS ONLY - do not send me something you copied.
You will be credited for all contributions!

View PostVladimyr, on 24 August 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

Another challenge? Do Friday evenings count towards the weekend? :)
I have a little more filming and editing to do now that I'm home :)
Everything else is ready.

Posted Image

Zetsuboushi
  • Minecraft: Zetsuboushi

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

Looking forward to it!
Time to get the MCedits and the voxelsnipers ready :D

R30hedron
  • Minecraft: R30hedron

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

Finally I catch a collab that I can help with! I'll see what I can do once I have some free time!
My policy: cobble stuff together and hope it sticks... which happens quite often seeing as cobblestone just floats there. Weird...

rsmalec
    rsmalec

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4541 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Posted Image

Unh3lpful
    Unh3lpful

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2124 posts
  • Minecraft: Unh3lpful

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'll have a go at a logo and banner. I'll need to get home first, my USB mouse bust.
I'm going to try a map too.

Posted Image

The_Forgotten
  • Minecraft: Bubble_Man

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

You know, I've always been a better worker with a designated area and *some* limitations! :D This seems like the perfect kind of challenge! I think I'll try to aim for at least two entries, with a third if I find the inspiration. This is a challenge I cannot decline!
Posted Image

Leaperrins
  • Minecraft: Leaperrins

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Looks very fun! I've never made a map/area before so I'm going to let people who can do that part deal with that, but I really look forward to playing it :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/Leaperrins
^ Feel free to check out my channel and please let me know what you guys think, I love hearing opinions! Loads more to come! :D

ParadiseDecay
  • Minecraft: ParadiseDecayTM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'll have a brand new, never heard before exclusive track for you Ron.

I'm going old school, it was composed on the Amiga.

The song itself was a challenge for me....

Now as you know tracker programes on the Amiga use only 4 tracks and 8 bit samples. This means only 4 notes can be played at the same time, the trick with tracker songs is to make the person listening think they are hearing more than 4 sounds at once.

Well, this time im going just 3 tracks! I'm still using the 8bit samples as they are the music worlds equivalent to Minecraft.

Uploading the track now, I'll send you a DM tweet.
Posted Image

Zetsuboushi
  • Minecraft: Zetsuboushi

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

I'm definitely entering :D
Too many ideas X-X

The_Forgotten
  • Minecraft: Bubble_Man

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostZetsuboushi, on 25 August 2012 - 03:24 PM, said:

I'm definitely entering Posted Image
Too many ideas X-X

Same thing here! But remember: your first idea is probably a bad choice. Same thing for the second and third! Keep going through them from the first one that surfaced to the last! At some point, the best idea should become obvious! :P
Posted Image

HappyPear
  • Minecraft: HappyPear

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

Just a couple of questions:

View Postrsmalec, on 24 August 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

Assume the map will be played with mobs turned on, in survival mode
  • Does this mean passive mobs or monsters, plus what difficulty should be assume this map will be played on?
  • Considering the overall map will make use of command blocks and will be played in 1.4, are we allowed to build our entries in the latest snapshot and make use of the new spawner mechanics and command blocks (to tell our story)?
  • You stated that we are not allowed to expand the iron wall up, but are we allowed to expand the iron walls down (into the area given for redstone etc)
Cheers!

Edit: Added extra query

Posted Image

Faume
    Faume

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Minecraft: Faume

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

How are you handling player death?

It seems the easiest (and least frustrating) would be to set the player's spawn to the same block they are teleported to each time they teleport to a new room. The advantage is they don't have to go through all the rooms to get back to the point they died. The disadvantage is they can't choose a different path until they reach the end.

In principle I like forcing people to deal with the consequences of their decisions, but in practice, some rooms might be too difficult for certain players so they could get stuck.

Another option might be to set the players spawn to the room they're teleporting FROM. So in order for their spawn to be set in a room, they have at least made it through to the end of one of the paths. If the room they get teleported to is too difficult for them, when they die, they can try changing just that last decision they made in the story to hopefully find an easier path. And those that want to continue on the same path only have to replay one room to get back to the point they died.

I'm a little curious why you say to assume survival mode rather than adventure mode. With all the design rules in place to keep players on the path, it seems a little strange to allow players to break their way out - purposefully or accidentally. I suppose some stories or puzzles will require the player to break some blocks. I'm still holding out hope that we'll have the ability to control which blocks can and cannot be broken in adventure mode by 1.4 release. :-P

Can we assume that mob griefing will be turned off?

Can we assume KeepInventory will be on?

Actually - Can we just set whatever game rules we want with a command block when people enter our room?
  • doFireTick    = toggles fire spread on/off
  • doMobLoot = toggles drop items on/off (xp still drops)
  • doMobSpawning = toggles on/off mob spawning
  • doTileDrops   = toggles farmed items (wheat, melon slices, etc.) drops on/off
  •    (still drop seeds even if off)
  • keepInventory = toggles keeping your inventory when you die on/off
  • mobGriefing   = toggles Creeper block damage and Enderman block pick
Additionally changing gamemode to Adventure Mode or Survival Mode depending on whether or not we want to allow the player to break blocks.

The only potential problem I could see is with fire spread and different difficulties - but you could just disallow that one.

EDIT: Hmm... actually several of the other options could cause problems in multiplayer when people are in different rooms with different rules.

You would also need to ensure that EVERY entry has a set gamemode block at the entrance spot.

Anyway, it's something to think about.

rsmalec
    rsmalec

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4541 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

Does this mean passive mobs or monsters, plus what difficulty should be assume this map will be played on?
I am going for difficulty 'easy'.  Monsters on.  Although.... can the command block change it to peaceful?

Considering the overall map will make use of command blocks and will be played in 1.4, are we allowed to build our entries in the latest snapshot and make use of the new spawner mechanics and command blocks (to tell our story)?
Yes.

You stated that we are not allowed to expand the iron wall up, but are we allowed to expand the iron walls down (into the area given for redstone etc)
You can do anything you need under the story area, yes.  Break all the dirt, place whatever.

Posted Image

piecia997

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

So we can tell whatever story we want and put some kind of choice for a player? How will it all make sense? ;p

Posted Image

Other maps from Gustavo Team: Cubeception, Cubeception 2, Old Hatreds