Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

MineCraft Server Currency


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1

Jmv7318
    Jmv7318

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

Okay so I have been thinking about I play on a server with a bunch of friends, and we have shops and stuff that sell things etc. But since there is no official currency for Minecraft currently, there should be one for SMP. I don't know what others would think of this topic, but I would love to get feedback and see if Notch mabye someday could come up with an Official Currency for Minecraft. The server I play on right now, we usually trade things. Or use gold as a currency. But there is a problem with gold because there is not really a large abundance of it everywhere and can be difficult to find for people. I would absolutely love to get some feedback on this subject.

Thanks, and please keep this post clean and fight fair. :o
Horatio Caine Impersonation...

It seems you, The Energizer Bunny, have been charged with,
(Takes off Sunglasses)
Battery..

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Register or log in to remove.

#2

wolfboy494

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

I would love a in-game currency though the problem is a currency on its own does nothing without something backing it (i.e. directly trade-able for diamonds / iron etc.) so that currency is always worth a base value.

I think to make currency viable their would be a need for a in-game shop and I'm not sure Notch would to that.

Personally I wouldnt mind seeing a randomly generated shop in the wild (maybe part of a NPC village) that sells goods for currency.

#3

Jmv7318
    Jmv7318

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

wolfboy494 said:

I would love a in-game currency though the problem is a currency on its own does nothing without something backing it (i.e. directly trade-able for diamonds / iron etc.) so that currency is always worth a base value.

I think to make currency viable their would be a need for a in-game shop and I'm not sure Notch would to that.

Personally I wouldnt mind seeing a randomly generated shop in the wild (maybe part of a NPC village) that sells goods for currency.


I agree with you but I am not sure how Notch would incorparate a Currency into Single Player Survival. It would be kind of pointless but the idea of a NPC village does sound very interesting. Well now that I read what your post says, involving "shop in the wild (maybe part of a NPC village) that sells goods for currency" , would be really neat. But I don't know how many people would back up this theory. Because what if there randomly generated shops happen to sell certain minerals? Then there would be a way to get Diamond and other minerals without actually digging into the earth, which, would end up messing with the fun of the game.
Horatio Caine Impersonation...

It seems you, The Energizer Bunny, have been charged with,
(Takes off Sunglasses)
Battery..

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#4

azoundria
  • Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:04 PM

Notch already made a currency. It's called gold. What other function is there for gold?

Mods like TradeCraft will let you use gold bars for trading. If anyone would like a server with gold bars as the main currency, check the one I am starting up (within 48 hours of launch now).
If anyone is planning to buy Minecraft for PC, talk to me first. I have some giftcodes that I'm not using and you can save money.

#5

Jmv7318
    Jmv7318

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

azoundria said:

Notch already made a currency. It's called gold. What other function is there for gold?

Well like I said in the initial post, gold can be difficult for some people to aqquire since it does take some digging to find.
Horatio Caine Impersonation...

It seems you, The Energizer Bunny, have been charged with,
(Takes off Sunglasses)
Battery..

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#6

falafelkorv

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

That depends. I dont think you could use gold, since new currency would be added all the time, and therefore lower in value. When me and my friends were playing, we used Slime balls as currency. Everybody got 64 to start with, then they could sell/buy from eachother. No money added, none removed (I actually ended up being the richest man on the server).
You could also make a custom texture pack where slime balls look like a dollar.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7

Jmv7318
    Jmv7318

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

falafelkorv said:

That depends. I dont think you could use gold, since new currency would be added all the time, and therefore lower in value. When me and my friends were playing, we used Slime balls as currency. Everybody got 64 to start with, then they could sell/buy from eachother. No money added, none removed (I actually ended up being the richest man on the server).
You could also make a custom texture pack where slime balls look like a dollar.

I really like this idea because Slime Balls have absoluetely no use right now but the only problem with that, is that last time I checked (Which I don't check often) Slimes were having issues spawning.
Horatio Caine Impersonation...

It seems you, The Energizer Bunny, have been charged with,
(Takes off Sunglasses)
Battery..

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#8

azoundria
  • Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:56 PM

Quote

That depends. I dont think you could use gold, since new currency would be added all the time, and therefore lower in value. When me and my friends were playing, we used Slime balls as currency. Everybody got 64 to start with, then they could sell/buy from eachother. No money added, none removed (I actually ended up being the richest man on the server).

Most people don't seem to mind that their government is constantly printing new money. How is gold any different?
If anyone is planning to buy Minecraft for PC, talk to me first. I have some giftcodes that I'm not using and you can save money.

#9

FunFroggySockMonkey

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

I love the idea of in game currency. Although, unless you actually put in NPCs, it would be kind of pointless. I would especially enjoy currency in a minecraft server. My friends and I have tried to get currency, but we can't figure it out.
If you can help I would be happy :)