• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Danisimo
    Danisimo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

So do dropped items disappear? I thought they stayed there until you retrieve them.(im talking about items that you drop when you die) You see i started a new world and was spawned next to an interesting cave system. I built a shelter near it and since i didnt know what else there is to do in minecraft i decided to explore it. It was huge i found iron, gold, redstone, that blue thing and diamond which im told are pretty rare. Next to the diamond i was ambushed by 4 zombies and died because i was out of arrows. I went back as fast as i can hoping to retrieve my items and continue the exploration but to my surprise both the zombies and my items were gone. Thats pretty bad because i lost hundreds of coal and over sixty iron. :/ I would have gone back if i had known that my items can disappear.

Register or log in to remove.

Adi_Tetac

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

Yep, They disappear after 5 minutes or so.
I'm Gonna Dance And Have A Champagne Blast! Hmm Maybe I Should Get Dressed First...

asferot said:

The minecraft will be an ever changing piece of evolution...

sashko138 said:

Describing Minecraft is like describing orgasms...

Greenlandys

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

Yes, anything you throw down or drop when killed despawns after about 5 mins. Better be quick on your feet!

There is a mod out there that leaves a chest with your items in on the spot you died , can't remember the name of it though.

Danisimo
    Danisimo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

Adi_Tetac said:

Yep, They disappear after 5 minutes or so.

:( It took me a couple of minutes to retrace my steps. Thanks for the answer.

AndroidAR

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Unless the chunk is unloaded, the items will disappear in about 5 or 6 minutes (I've heard as low as four and as high as seven). If the chunk is unloaded, I think the items will remain, and the next time the chunk is loaded, the items will still be there, but without a time limit. I'm not positive on that last part, but I'm pretty sure thats the case.

Danisimo
    Danisimo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Greenlandys said:

Yes, anything you throw down or drop when killed despawns after about 5 mins. Better be quick on your feet!

There is a mod out there that leaves a chest with your items in on the spot you died , can't remember the name of it though.

I always hated the way minecraft constantly saves the game. I had to rebuild my base 3 times due to creepers is there a way i can reload an older save or something?

Rayquaza
  • Minecraft: A_MissingNo

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

if you make backup copies of your save files, yes. but i did read something in the bloggy thingo about saving being optional

Posted Image

Dusty
    Dusty

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

Danisimo said:

Greenlandys said:

I always hated the way minecraft constantly saves the game. I had to rebuild my base 3 times due to creepers is there a way i can reload an older save or something?
Whats the fun of playing if you constantly restart just because your precious little base got destroyed.
SEE, WE ALL CAN MAKE BIG, COLORFUL, LETTERS

Danisimo
    Danisimo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

Dusty said:

Danisimo said:

Greenlandys said:

Whats the fun of playing if you constantly restart just because your precious little base got destroyed.

True. I wouldn't reload just because of that but after all the reason i went in there was to gather a lot or resources and then use them and now they're all gone. Its not the game's fault though ive got only myself to blame.

delticminer

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

i was exploding TNT to build a canyon and i got caught in a blast. when i got back from my spawn point, my stuff had gone. a bit of inventory editing and i was good, but its still annoying!
:) fail
Using [tnt] to make canyons is far from easy, let me tell you.

duartel
    duartel

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1922 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

Newbye is rite.
PS:You should get an avatar. The statistics say 86% of people that get flamed don't have an avatar.
The statistics also say 66% statistics are made up.
Scroll down my sig.
NAO

Feryll said:

WTFClock said:

Avacadolord said:

Cool?
Story?
Bro?
[simg]http://img839.images...4/notchchat.png[/simg]

Danisimo
    Danisimo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

delticminer said:

i was exploding TNT to build a canyon and i got caught in a blast. when i got back from my spawn point, my stuff had gone. a bit of inventory editing and i was good, but its still annoying!
:P fail

I cant do that because i dont know how much  i droped. I know what kind of items i had but not an aprox number and it would be lame to give myself more that i lost. Oh well you know what they say easy come easy go. It took X over 20 episodes and a lot of digging to find diamond, he didnt get it in a cave right next to him. Besides there are more caverns that i still havent explored.
P.S. What are the sudden FPS drops caused by? Does that mean that the game is generating more terrain or?

wyrmhole
    wyrmhole

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1577 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

AndroidAR said:

If the chunk is unloaded, I think the items will remain, and the next time the chunk is loaded, the items will still be there, but without a time limit. I'm not positive on that last part, but I'm pretty sure thats the case.

Sadly not the case.  The time it spends unloaded appears not to "count", but I've definitely had cases where I died, respawned very far away so the chunk I died in was definitely unloaded, I race back there, and arrive to where I died just in time to grab some of my stuff before the rest *poofed* out of existence before my eyes.

xlPickleBottlelx

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

It took seananners 6 episodes to find diamons  :o
Posted Image