Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

height limit for spawning mobs

mobspawner height limit mobspawner height limit mob farm mobfarm

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

TristanMrH

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

I just made a mob farm in a multiplayer server, and it's not working. I think this is because i built it too high, so i'm wondering what the max height that mobs will spawn at is. If anyone would be so kind as to inform me Posted Image

It now seems that it does spawn mobs, but only very very rarely. I've been keeping an eye on it for about 20 minutes now and so far i got only 2 skeletons out of it.

Register or log in to remove.

kevinbo12
  • Minecraft: dewy6624

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

I'm pretty sure mobs don't have a height spawn limit. What server are you playing on, they may have mob spawners disabled or something like that.

TristanMrH

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

it's not a mobspawner like a cage thing that spawns mobs, it's a dark room that allows mobs to spawn in, and then they get pushed by water and fall to be a one hit kill

darkknight456

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

making a bukkit server::: http://wiki.bukkit.o...ing_up_a_server
If you are running Java 7, type this
instead:

download crat bukkit save as craftbukkit

delete your old server
make a new folder
save craft bukkit into that folder
DO NOT OPEN CRAFT BUKKIT

next open up not pad copy and past the
wierd stuff under were is says If you are
running Java 7, type this instead:
then save as RUN.bat
put that in the same folder as craftbukkit
is in ext MC server
remember do not open craftbukkit.jar
wen the RUN folder is in and the
craftbukkit is in open up the one tht says
RUN then you are on your way

kevinbo12
  • Minecraft: dewy6624

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostTristanMrH, on 19 August 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

it's not a mobspawner like a cage thing that spawns mobs, it's a dark room that allows mobs to spawn in, and then they get pushed by water and fall to be a one hit kill
Oh well then it could be too small of an area, or maybe its too bright,or maybe your server diables mobs(I highly doubt that one), those are the only things I could think of.

TristanMrH

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

View Postdarkknight456, on 19 August 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

making a bukkit server:Posted Image http://wiki.bukkit.o...ing_up_a_server
If you are running Java 7, type this
instead:

download crat bukkit save as craftbukkit

delete your old server
make a new folder
save craft bukkit into that folder
DO NOT OPEN CRAFT BUKKIT

next open up not pad copy and past the
wierd stuff under were is says If you are
running Java 7, type this instead:
then save as RUN.bat
put that in the same folder as craftbukkit
is in ext MC server
remember do not open craftbukkit.jar
wen the RUN folder is in and the
craftbukkit is in open up the one tht says
RUN then you are on your way

erm, why are you telling how to run a bukkit server? i don't even run a server

View Postkevinbo12, on 19 August 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

Oh well then it could be too small of an area, or maybe its too bright,or maybe your server diables mobs(I highly doubt that one), those are the only things I could think of.
there are 100 spawnable spaces, it's pitch black in there (bl:0 all over) and no the server doesn't disable mobs, i spent quite a long time fighting a lot of them in caves. So none of those seem to be the case, i'm currently in the process of lowering the farm, but this involves redoing a whole part of my house :P I'm gonna see if that makes any difference

GoldenEagle2556

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

it's just mob lag from the server I presume, I go on a public bukkit server and the same thing happens there. Mobs spawn at any height (even in the void if you're dumb enough to do that. Like me :D )
Posted Image

KadwynMC
  • Minecraft: KadwynMC

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

Press F3 and check the "lc" value, if it is below the y co-ord where your mob trab then mobs won't spawn because that portion of the chunk technically isn't active, if this is the case, just build some tard pillars above your mob trap so that the lc is high enough to include your mob trap. Make sure you do this across all the chunks that your mob trap is in.

Hope this helps.

TristanMrH

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

View PostKadwynMC, on 19 August 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

Press F3 and check the "lc" value, if it is below the y co-ord where your mob trab then mobs won't spawn because that portion of the chunk technically isn't active, if this is the case, just build some tard pillars above your mob trap so that the lc is high enough to include your mob trap. Make sure you do this across all the chunks that your mob trap is in.

Hope this helps.
y=106 lc=111, it is lower though not by much i'll have to admit

1handedminer
  • Minecraft: 1handedminer

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

Hostile mobs dont spawn above y 128 because that is how tall the world used to go to and they havnt fixed that yet
plus you are saying that it is very high up? maybe they are despawning because they are so far away (more then 128 blocks away). also if mobs are to far away from you they dont wonder and just stand in the same place meaning they cant wonder into the water

Peppe
    Peppe

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1215 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:42 AM

View Post1handedminer, on 20 August 2012 - 04:46 AM, said:

Hostile mobs dont spawn above y 128 because that is how tall the world used to go to and they havnt fixed that yet
plus you are saying that it is very high up? maybe they are despawning because they are so far away (more then 128 blocks away). also if mobs are to far away from you they dont wonder and just stand in the same place meaning they cant wonder into the water

Not sure where you are getting this...
I've never had trouble building sky traps since they increased the world height.  They don't spawn above y=240.6 (eye level), but other than that they spawn very fast in sky traps.

There has been some weird loaded chunks issues and lighting issues, but assuming you check and fix those sky traps work better than anything you can build in the old height as you don't have to worry about caves or slimes.

SeventhHero

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

I'm pretty sure that they will start spawning 128 blocks away. But considering there are way more spots underground for them to spawn, I would get way up high with them (not too close though)
Posted Image

WhoDoctorK9
  • Minecraft: WhoDoctorK9

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

I'm sure you already know this, but no harm in repeating...I believe you have to be within 16 blocks of where they are to spawn to actually cause them to spawn. You have to stay within 32 blocks for them to stay active.
Love MineCraft and Doctor Who. Who'da thunk? | Cooler Master HAF 922 | Corsair Hydro H100 water cooler | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Motherboard | Intel Core i7-4770K | EVGA GeForce GTX 480 1.5 gig | Corsair Vengence 16 GB DDR3 1600mhz | Corsair Pro Series HX850 | 1 - Samsung 250GB 840 Pro | 1 - OCZ Vertez 2 128GB SSD | 2-Western Digital 2TB Cavier Black | 2-Western Digital 1TB Cavier Black | 1-Western Digital 320GB

Peppe
    Peppe

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1215 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:00 AM

View PostWhoDoctorK9, on 20 August 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

I'm sure you already know this, but no harm in repeating...I believe you have to be within 16 blocks of where they are to spawn to actually cause them to spawn. You have to stay within 32 blocks for them to stay active.

16 blocks is only required for spawners (the spinning mob cages).

Dark room traps work on the principle that mobs spawn in a dark space (light level 7 or lower).  As long as the mob can fit in the spot (2 high for most mobs, and the floor is a solid block).  

For dark room spawning mobs can't spawn within 24 blocks of the player.  Mobs are most active when the player is within 32 blocks and will never despawn when within this range.  Both of these are measured in a sphere around the player.

In a 32-128 block sphere around the play mobs can spawn -- will move around a little and then stop moving.  After a random period of being inactive the mobs will despawn.  Usually within 2 minutes if i recall correctly.

In all loaded chunks mobs can spawn, but if a player is not within 128 blocks of the mob it will instantly despawn.

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

Y=106 isn't that high, is that at your collection point?  What is your trap design?
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

TristanMrH

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

View Postrodabon, on 20 August 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Y=106 isn't that high, is that at your collection point?  What is your trap design?
y 106 is where they spawned, but i tore down the trap by now, it wasn't doing anything and no matter what i did it would change, at best i got 1 mod every five minutes while previous designs i used got like 5 mobs every ten seconds. The trap design i used is the latest by etho, that he uses on mindrcrack, he has a tutorial on it if you want to see. it works perfectly for him, but for some reason it doesn't for me, and i have no idea why

View PostSeventhHero, on 20 August 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure that they will start spawning 128 blocks away. But considering there are way more spots underground for them to spawn, I would get way up high with them (not too close though)
they start spawning when more then 24 blocks away, and there are no spots left underground for the to spawn, i lit them all up, and even if there was, it should still yield more then it did

Enrivio
    Enrivio

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

There may be light glitches in the dark room spawn area. There seems to be a bug where water blocks, cobblestone or even air blocks seem to emit light. Simply replace the block that seems to be causing the problem and the lighting bug should be fixed. Where it is a air block emitting light, place a block where the air block is and it should disappear.

I'm not saying that this is definitely the issue, just something to consider. :)
Posted Image

Cstalker
    Cstalker

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

How many players are on when you are on. On our server the more players that are on the less these types of mob spawners work. When there are no players on other than me mine works like a charm. another player has one also and he has the same issues.