Hoolean
    Hoolean

Tree Puncher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 35 posts
  • Minecraft: MrBluebear3

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

SRV DNS Records had support added in 1.3.1. They let domains forward to minecraft server ip's and their ports. My domain is puffybugs.com (I know, it's epic :D) and the port I need is 25565. My ip address is 87.127.136.30. I would really appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks in adance! :D
^The message is up there -.- ^

Bukkit Developer :D

Register or log in to remove.

zlRadio
    zlRadio

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 221 posts
  • Minecraft: zlRadio

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

Basically what you need to do is the following:

Access your "DNS Zone Editor" If your using cPanel, this would be under "Domains"

Add an "A Type" Record And then just add the server ip under "Address".

And then people can type in "Your domain name.whatever" and it will take them to your server

*Note the default port is 25565 so if your server is 10.0.0.0:25568

They will have to do the following: yourdomainname.com:25568

*Note: You can't make it so that "yourdomainname.com" links to 10.0.0.0:25486. It hast to be 25565 otherwise add the port at the end

And no one can do it for you without proper access.

Posted Image Posted Image

Hoolean
    Hoolean

Tree Puncher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 35 posts
  • Minecraft: MrBluebear3

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

View PostzlRadio, on 19 August 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

Basically what you need to do is the following:

Access your "DNS Zone Editor" If your using cPanel, this would be under "Domains"

Add an "A Type" Record And then just add the server ip under "Address".

And then people can type in "Your domain name.whatever" and it will take them to your server

*Note the default port is 25565 so if your server is 10.0.0.0:25568

They will have to do the following: yourdomainname.com:25568

*Note: You can't make it so that "yourdomainname.com" links to 10.0.0.0:25486. It hast to be 25565 otherwise add the port at the end

And no one can do it for you without proper access.
I understand fully how to setup "A Type" records; that is what I use at the moment. However my domain also has the ability to set SRV DNS Records, which allow the domain to point to the ip address AND a port. (Read http://en.wikipedia....wiki/SRV_record)
^The message is up there -.- ^

Bukkit Developer :D

zlRadio
    zlRadio

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 221 posts
  • Minecraft: zlRadio

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

So what do you need help with then?

I'm a tad confused on what you need help with

Posted Image Posted Image

Rogue
    Rogue

Gambrinous

• Forum Admin
  • Curse Premium
  • 8734 posts
  • Minecraft: Rogue
  • Xbox:RogueMurder

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Just add the port into the address when redirecting? Not entirely sure what you're asking either

Quote my post to make sure I see your reply - MCF Hosting CoordinatorPosted Image

bacon_avenger
  • Minecraft: bacon_avenger

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

Don't forget, a SRV record can not be pointed to a CNAME, it has to be the name listed in an A record.

What have you tried so far?  If it helps any, doing a google/yahoo/dogpile/etc for 'setup srv bind' turns up a lot of information on setting one up under bind, but is still useful to know what field does what.
I ride the bukkit on Linux with a PEX shooter at my side.  Please don't PM me for help, PM's don't help the community at large as it's not publicly viewable.  Use pastie or pastebin for files, I will not download files.  Click the up arrow if I helped. (I also do YT Vids)

Majh
    Majh

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Minecraft: Majh
  • Xbox:Majh

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

I am working on setting this up for my server.  I'll let you know if I make any progress.
Posted Image

jmaasing

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:22 AM

View Postbacon_avenger, on 20 August 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

Don't forget, a SRV record can not be pointed to a CNAME, it has to be the name listed in an A record.

Like bacon avenger said, must be a A record. So something like this:

For the SRV-record
_minecraft._tcp.minecraft.puffybugs.com. 7200 IN SRV 5 5 12345 minecraft.puffybugs.com.

TTL = 7200 (2 hours)
The two
5 - Priority
5 - Weight
is only needed for multiple servers hosting the same service, failover and load balancing
12345 - The port you want to use for the server

For the A record you just map the name "minecraft.puffybugs.com" to 87.127.136.30

SurviveMinecraft

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

Thank-you so much for all the details posted here - has helped tremendously!  I'm in the midst of setting up a server for my son and buddies and so far so good.  I'm stuck at what I hope is the final step.  The system is setup as follows:

- Server One is setup on port 25565 and can be reached from the outside world at name.homeserver.com.  I have been running this for a year or so with no issues at all.  I haven't had to do any special mapping or anything for this.
- Server Two is setup on the same machine, port 25570.  It can be reached at 70.71.111.26:25570 with no issues.

For the domain I've set up for my son, I want game.surviveminecraft.com to point to 70.71.111.26:25570.
- I have setup surviveminecraft.com with no issues (placeholder is there right now for a website)
- I have setup an "A" record with game.surviveminecraft.com pointing to 70.71.111.26.  This works as when I enter "game.surviveminecraft.com" into "join server", it connects no issues (it just connects to Server One - port 25565)
- I have setup a SRV record as follows:
Record:  _minecraft._tcp
Type:  SRV
Value:  0 5 25570 game.surviveminecraft.com.

Any reason why game.surviveminecraft.com wouldn't load up Server Two?
- Both records "A" and "SRV" were created Friday night - "A" already works.
- The string that would have been entered (using Dreamhost which is why the above is laid out as Dreamhost has it) would look like:  _minecraft._tcp.surviveminecraft.com. 3600 IN SRV 0 5 25570 game.surviveminecraft.com.

Is there any way for me to validate and/or list the "SRV" record on this domain through command-line and/or another tool?

On a totally different note, to see what my son has built in the past, complete with a time-lapse video, check out thanesproject.com :)

SurviveMinecraft

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

First of all, huge props to Bacon Avenger for his description on http://www.minecraft...e-same-machine/ as it helped me troubleshoot my issue.

Simply put, my SRV Record was for _minecraft._tcp and it should have been _minecraft._tcp.game

So, to summarize (hoping this will help somebody someday):
I have two servers (one on default and one on 25570) and I wanted to map game.surviveminecraft.com to 25570.

Steps
1)  Register www.surviveminecraft.com with somebody
2)  Setup an "A record" pointing game.surviveminecraft.com to the external IP of my minecraft server
3)  Setup a "SRV record" binding _minecraft._tcp to game.surviveminecraft.com at port 25570.

Wrong way:
_minecraft._tcp.surviveminecraft.com. 3600 IN SRV 0 5 25570 game.surviveminecraft.com.

Right way
_minecraft._tcp.game.surviveminecraft.com. 3600 IN SRV 0 5 25570 game.surviveminecraft.com.

Dreamhost automatically did the "3600" portion of the above so that's the only one I'm not 100% sure on.  Otherwise, I flushed the DNS cached, waited about 30 min and my boy and his buddies are now using game.surviveminecraft.com to play while my other boys are using a different address to play on their own server - both of which are hosted on one machine.  Woot! Posted Image

bacon_avenger
  • Minecraft: bacon_avenger

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

Glad to hear that I was able to help and you got it working.  :)
I ride the bukkit on Linux with a PEX shooter at my side.  Please don't PM me for help, PM's don't help the community at large as it's not publicly viewable.  Use pastie or pastebin for files, I will not download files.  Click the up arrow if I helped. (I also do YT Vids)

burg5204
    burg5204

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Minecraft: burg5204

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

I need help with doing this. Anyone welling to remote desktop and walk me through Virtual Host so I can have multiple servers. I just need to hide my Ip:port. I am willing to Donate for your help..

Thanks,

rockyjroller

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

I still need help, i have

_minecraft._tcp.mc.minexpvp.net s44.hosthorde.com:25637 3600 5
This is my SRV, its pointing to my host horde domain, the ttl is above, the prio is 5.