• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

altaire4
    altaire4

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

1.4 is looking to be a great update, but I can't seem to wrap my head around one feature.  Why be able to dye leather armor?  The only thing I can figure, is it is for factions, and PVP, but Leather has such bad protection that even that doesn't make sense.

So what's the point?
There's a reason he's called "The Sisko"
Star Trek DS9 and Doctor Who FTW.

Register or log in to remove.

KowaretaTamashi
  • Minecraft: TheFirstGun

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

View Postaltaire4, on 17 August 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

1.4 is looking to be a great update, but I can't seem to wrap my head around one feature.  Why be able to dye leather armor?  The only thing I can figure, is it is for factions, and PVP, but Leather has such bad protection that even that doesn't make sense.

So what's the point?
Either your a war machine or a good looking archer Posted Image
Also its only for decoration and it makes sense that you paint leather

EDIT: I dont know how many times i edited my reply xD
Posted Image

nick2go
    nick2go

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 361 posts
  • Minecraft: Nick2go

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

I guess it allows for almost 'clothes' in minecraft. Even if leather armor is pretty bad protective-wise, it just allows for further customization of the player.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RotomGuy
    RotomGuy

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1749 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

Too look snazzy. That's all that matters. Ever.

And besides, I really don't think you can use coloured dyes on solid metal battle equipment.

Forum Rules and Minecraft General Rules
Do read them before posting. I mean it. >:C
Grass Block is still here, though most of you have probably clicked it by now. Posted Image
Do not suggest Vertical Redstone, Emerald Tools, Obsidian Tools and Skylands. They will be burnt in a hole.

Debugman18
  • Minecraft: debugman18
  • Xbox:debugman18

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

Dinnerbone has said that it's partly to have a way of representing groups and such in PVP.

Posted Image
...but that's just like, my opinion, man.

GorgeousTaylor

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

Also, it gives a better use to leather armor. Most people just wear iron.

qNxX
    qNxX

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Minecraft: qNxX

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

View PostGorgeousTaylor, on 17 August 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Also, it gives a better use to leather armor. Most people just wear iron...

... and will keep on doing so because leather still has too low protection.
Posted Image
To those who want others to click the green arrow if they helped: The arrow is actually white, the square around it is green!

KowaretaTamashi

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostqNxX, on 17 August 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

But not if they make it possible to combine the both of them =P
Posted Image

GorgeousTaylor

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

But... THE COLORS.

Foxmaniac

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Colored leather armor does sound nice... Black leather may look cool, Light Gray leather may look kinda like fake iron armor :P just to fool the opponents :P well to keep it short. i like it :P

KowaretaTamashi

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

View PostFoxmaniac, on 17 August 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

Colored leather armor does sound nice... Black leather may look cool, Light Gray leather may look kinda like fake iron armor Posted Image just to fool the opponents Posted Image well to keep it short. i like it Posted Image
You dont wanna know how many different types of colours there is...
Posted Image

GerbilCrab475

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

Because so many players have been begging for such a feature for a very long time. So then Mojang gives it to them, and then the players complain about it.

Posted Image
^Not many of these potions can actually be made in vanilla Minecraft! Support the missing potions today! ^

Foxmaniac

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

View Postcrysis9999, on 17 August 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

You dont wanna know how many different types of colours there is...
I just read/noticed it in the other thread indeed, kinda all possible colours, pretty cool :)
* Foxmaniac trows his diamond Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image armour in the Posted Image Lava... (just kidding)

Black_Drath
  • Minecraft: Black_Drath

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:41 AM

View PostGerbilCrab475, on 17 August 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Because so many players have been begging for such a feature for a very long time. So then Mojang gives it to them, and then the players complain about it.
To be fair, it's not the same players. Well, I don't think it is...

But I think this is a nice feature. Nothing wrong with aesthetics.

Posted Image

fumifieder

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:24 AM

Why? Why not?
I think it looks cool. Besides, it makes it easier to PvP servers to identify their factions from colour.

bluevein
    bluevein

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:44 AM

This is awesome as clothing. I might even make some pink pajamas for my bedroom. :P

-----

Super low xp cost enchanting of leather armor...
4xProtection I on leather armor has double the damage reduction of unenchanted leather armor.
1xProtection II + 3xProtection I on leather armor has slightly more damage reduction than unenchanted iron.
2xProtection II + 2xProtection I on leather armor has slightly more damage reduction than unenchanted iron.
Protection I is best achieved as a level 1 enchant.
Protection II is best achieved as either a level 1 enchant (5% chance - cheapest xp wise) or a level 6 enchant (27.6% chance - cheapest with high chance).

As you can see above leather armor scales VERY well with enchantements. The way enchanting works in minecraft the worse quality an item is the more it benefits from enchantments. Yes it will still have low durability, but the point I am trying to make is that leather armor is far from useless, and even just level 1 enchants on all slots makes it much much stronger.

Comparison of benefit of maxed enchants on leather vs diamond.
Maxed Protection (1xProtection IV + 2xProtection III for example) on diamond armor increases damage reduction by 18%
Maxed Protection (1xProtection IV + 2xProtection III for example) on leather armor increases damage reduction by 160%!!!

I am not claiming that using max level enchants on something with as low durability as leather is efficient. But I am just trying to point out how big a difference it makes. Diamond armor barely benefits at all from maxed protection enchants relative to the other armors.

So yes leather armor has low durability and unenchanted has low armor. But even 4 tiny levels worth of enchantements can make a huge difference to it.
Also, Stanley is addicted to drugs and hookers.

Ace_Frog_5662

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

Why, you ask? Because now you can dye your armor to look just like diamonds!

Adslegend
  • Minecraft: ADS_LEGEND

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

And they usually have plenty of iron by the time they have enough leather for even half a suit of armour.

Debugman18
  • Minecraft: debugman18
  • Xbox:debugman18

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

I just thought it should be noted, that they may or may not be upping the protection some. They haven't said, but considering they're working on leather armor anyways, it couldn't hurt to give it a little more protection.

Posted Image
...but that's just like, my opinion, man.

haxjagarn
  • Minecraft: haxjagarn

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

I like the thought of wearing dyed armor :) sadly, if you want it to be good you have to enchant it and what does that mean? that means you will be left with armor that shines purple and what's the point of any colour then, huh?

What I want to say now could count as a suggestion but it's minor and would only have the newest features BENEFIT from it.
What I suggest is to decrease the shining of enchanted items, I made a rather crude attempt at it
Posted Image
save this picture and call it glint.png. Next replace the old one that's located in the "misc" folder inside the .jar file.
You will see what I mean.

Posted Image

build your portals closer than ever