Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Questions about LAN

lan questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Filliontus

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

Hai everyone! Hope everyone is doing good.

I got some questions about LAN.

The first one is that when me and friend try to play LAN it doesn't show up on the ''Searching for LAN'' screen. We have to go to Direct connect and type the normal ip. So it does work to play, but why is it like this?

The second question is that if i ( the host of the LAN ) has an mod installed, lets say Mo'Creatures. can my friend also use the mod without having it installed in the jar?

Thanks for helping me!

//Filliontus

Register or log in to remove.

gojiraman54

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

1. The player hosting has to pause the game and hit "Open to LAN", then it'll appear on the multiplayer menu

2. Depending on the mod, it should, and Mo' Creatures I believe does allow the other player to see them without having the mod.

Hope this helps. ;)
From a place beyond time, and time beyond counting.

DooM_BoS1991

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

I never was able to get the lan to work either... I say just download multiplayer and play with them on that

Posted Image

Stykker
    Stykker

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1219 posts
  • Xbox:Stykker

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

Mods will not be carried over, no. Most likely anything added by a mod will appear as a white block to the other person without the mod.

As for a LAN, its short for Local Area Network. Local is considered anything connected inside of your router, most of the time these are all the computers within a single house, school or computer lab. Anything outside of your house, for most purposes, can be considered Non local. Basically, a connection that does not extend past the first router layer in the connection.

You must be on the same local network to play with people through a LAN game.

DooM_BoS1991

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostStykker, on 16 August 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Mods will not be carried over, no. Most likely anything added by a mod will appear as a white block to the other person without the mod.

As for a LAN, its short for Local Area Network. Local is considered anything connected inside of your router, most of the time these are all the computers within a single house, school or computer lab. Anything outside of your house, for most purposes, can be considered Non local. Basically, a connection that does not extend past the first router layer in the connection.

You must be on the same local network to play with people through a LAN game.
Ya. Me and my cousin were and we are good with computers. We could not get it to work at all. Bukkit works better in my opinion. It will save the hassle and frustration over it

Posted Image

Stykker
    Stykker

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1219 posts
  • Xbox:Stykker

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostDooM_BoS1991, on 16 August 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Ya. Me and my cousin were and we are good with computers. We could not get it to work at all. Bukkit works better in my opinion. It will save the hassle and frustration over it
I think the Mojang team forgot to consider routing tables and internal IP's. I can only get it to work using a VPN, and even then its not worth it.

DooM_BoS1991

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostStykker, on 16 August 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

I think the Mojang team forgot to consider routing tables and internal IP's. I can only get it to work using a VPN, and even then its not worth it.
Ouch... yeah :/ I dont think it is either. Especially that way... Well they tried. Give it to them for that. But I can see the Open Lan feature disappearing within the next few updates. Im sure the Bukkit team will be happy for that

Posted Image