• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Friends can't join my LAN world

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Liquid Metal Slime

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:55 PM

I opened my world to LAN, but every time someone tries to join it says "Failed to connect to the server, Operation timed out".

Also I'm on a Mac, if that helps.

Register or log in to remove.

cjx23
    cjx23

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

Just to make sure, are you all in the same house? :P

Liquid Metal Slime

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

View Postcjx23, on 14 August 2012 - 12:02 AM, said:

Just to make sure, are you all in the same house? Posted Image

Yes.

Taizz
    Taizz

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1751 posts
  • Minecraft: Taizzz

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

This happens to me also =/ I just gave up and resorted to hosting a Bukkit Server.

Have I helped you? If I have why not help me back and hit the Posted Image down below? :D

TheInvisibleNinjaMonkey

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:55 AM

I have the same problem. me and my friend are in the same house but when i try and connect it says operation timed out or it just stays on the connecting to server thing forever

CODsniperkid

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

It could be your router security or your firewall blocking the ping from one computer to the next. Check both of those logs.

The only stupid question is the question you don't ask. ~GB_Implicit

gerbil
    gerbil

Support Guru

• Members
  • 4917 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

or the server is using the wrong IP address on that machine.

Liquid Metal Slime

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

View PostCODsniperkid, on 14 August 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

It could be your router security or your firewall blocking the ping from one computer to the next. Check both of those logs.

How do I do that?

boereknul59

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

I have the same thing with my brother. He want to connect to my LAN world but than it reads Failed to connect to the server(same thing as you). Get someone a solution? plz help us.

Liquid Metal Slime

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

Can someone who's a genius about LAN connection stuff help us out on this? I've been waiting a long time for Minecraft 1.3 because of the LAN feature and it's a bummer that it's not working. I want to find a solution ASAP.

gerbil
    gerbil

Support Guru

• Members
  • 4917 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

See http://www.minecraft.../#entry17565715

I'm not sure what the impact to a Mac of changing the hostname to IP address mapping, but it's one thing you could try.

PANDA_FUA

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

I'm having the same issue, i've even disabled my firewall and checked the IP adresses but IT WON'T WORK!

Liquid Metal Slime

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:23 AM

Update: It turns out that I can connect to my friend's world over LAN on the same network, it's just that he can't connect to me.

hero630
    hero630

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

This happens to me too.  My brother opens his world to LAN, and I can't connect and when I put in the iP in direct connect, it says "Connection Timed Out, Failed to connect to the server" and if he tries to connect to my LAN world the same thing happens.  I need help.

Liquid Metal Slime

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

UPDATE: My friend just tried to connect to a random public server, and it worked. So, we know that this is exclusive to when he tries to connect to my LAN world.

hardyboyz683
  • Minecraft: Davethefag

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

same thing happend to me when  my friend came over i waited for 3 weeks just to play with him on minecraft together and it didnt work.
Posted Image

rory_jt
    rory_jt

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Minecraft: roryjasper

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

Same here - help would be much appreciated!
Posted Image

Marin
    Marin

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Minecraft: Marin

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

I get "Connection Timed out"... Other LAN games work fine. C'mon, 1.4 is out in a week or so and I haven't even tried all that 1.3 offers yet :(
Posted Image
If Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy this into your signature and hope it happens.

Scryedge
    Scryedge

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

I had the same problem but fixed it, i can join my PC on LAN but my PC cant join my laptop, Go to your firewall security, then go Firewall Properties, then it should show you domain, private and public profiles, go to your public profile and click where it says "Protected Network Areas":   [Customize]" click customize and uncheck all settings you see, then there you go. Both computers should have these settings to join each other.
"P.S. I did this on Windows 7, for anything less than Windows 7, just turn off firewall for public profile, Im not sure about mac but it should be something very similar, Good Luck."

Liquid Metal Slime

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

View PostScryedge, on 02 October 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

I had the same problem but fixed it, i can join my PC on LAN but my PC cant join my laptop, Go to your firewall security, then go Firewall Properties, then it should show you domain, private and public profiles, go to your public profile and click where it says "Protected Network Areas":   [Customize]" click customize and uncheck all settings you see, then there you go. Both computers should have these settings to join each other.
"P.S. I did this on Windows 7, for anything less than Windows 7, just turn off firewall for public profile, Im not sure about mac but it should be something very similar, Good Luck."

I just opened firewall advanced settings in System Preferences, and firewall blocked Minecraft. I made firewall allow Minecraft and now it works! Thank you so much!! Now I can finally have friends join my LAN!