Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Applying to be a moderator


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
6346 replies to this topic

#2821

MaxJ2001
    MaxJ2001

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Let's see, assuming it takes about 30 days to get it approved/denied, how much time until it's looked at...

Posted Image


Register or log in to remove.

#2822

TheEvanCat
  • Location: Sealand
  • Minecraft: TheEvanCat
  • Xbox:TheEvanCat
  • PSN:TheEvanCat

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostMaxJ2001, on 08 January 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

Let's see, assuming it takes about 30 days to get it approved/denied, how much time until it's looked at...

That's a rough estimate. You could be the only one in the batch, or everyone in the forum could be applying and that batch would take until 2015.

Posted Image

Don't judge me because I'm fabulous.


#2823

MaxJ2001
    MaxJ2001

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

OK, You're right... If a batch is about normal size, it's about 15-25 more days until it's looked at.

Posted Image


#2824

cestislife
    cestislife

    Resident Fuzzball

  • Sectional Moderator
  • 6580 posts
  • Location: Malaysia
  • Minecraft: LORDVENOM0001

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostMaxJ2001, on 08 January 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

OK, You're right... If a batch is about normal size, it's about 15-25 more days until it's looked at.

Patience is key. I wouldn't worry about when your application is going to be looked at, it just drives you nuts if you keep thinking about it :P

Posted Image


#2825

ZeRo
    ZeRo

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3028 posts
  • Location: 乃モ卄工れ刀 ㄚ◯∪.....
  • Minecraft: ∪れㄥ◯匚K卄モ丹尺匕乙

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

My last one was about a month and 1week.
Just Be patient

For the reply.

Life is such a Pain, Follow me and be a Wolf


Posted Image


#2826

Corvo
    Corvo

    Enderdragon Slayer

  • Members
  • 13482 posts
  • Location: 'Murica

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostZeRo, on 09 January 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

My last one was about a month and 1week.
Just Be patient

For the reply.
It shouldn't take longer than a month for your app to get decided on once the batch it's in actually starts getting worked on.

Or so I've heard.

Posted Image


#2827

Raynbow
    Raynbow

    Farlander

  • Members
  • 15858 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostCorvo, on 09 January 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

It shouldn't take longer than a month for your app to get decided on once the batch it's in actually starts getting worked on.

Or so I've heard.
It's kinda dependent on a lot of variables really. Like if you submit your app toward the end of a batch, your waiting time will be less because you'll be straight into the next batch, rather than if you submitted just as a batch was imported, in which case would add a fair bit of waiting time on. Then it's goes to admin availability, and actually deciding, stuff like that. Everything is a factor in the time but so long as you can be patient then you'll be fine.

This current batch is somewhat close to completion.

#2828

TheEvanCat
  • Location: Sealand
  • Minecraft: TheEvanCat
  • Xbox:TheEvanCat
  • PSN:TheEvanCat

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

What I typically do is I put in an app and then forget about it so I'm not wound up waiting for an accepted/denied PM. Then when I get one, I'm like "wut?"

Posted Image

Don't judge me because I'm fabulous.


#2829

MaxJ2001
    MaxJ2001

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Will not having any experience moderating a forum hurt the chances of being accepted?

Posted Image


#2830

TheEvanCat
  • Location: Sealand
  • Minecraft: TheEvanCat
  • Xbox:TheEvanCat
  • PSN:TheEvanCat

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostMaxJ2001, on 09 January 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

Will not having any experience moderating a forum hurt the chances of being accepted?

If nobody has any experience, then how can they get experience? I think experience helps, but lack of experience hinders.

I've modded like, two forums before. They were both server Enjins with well-behaved people. The only thing I had to do really was put threads back on rails and cool some server election flamewars before they escalated.

Posted Image

Don't judge me because I'm fabulous.


#2831

Corvo
    Corvo

    Enderdragon Slayer

  • Members
  • 13482 posts
  • Location: 'Murica

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostRaynbow, on 09 January 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

It's kinda dependent on a lot of variables really. Like if you submit your app toward the end of a batch, your waiting time will be less because you'll be straight into the next batch, rather than if you submitted just as a batch was imported, in which case would add a fair bit of waiting time on. Then it's goes to admin availability, and actually deciding, stuff like that. Everything is a factor in the time but so long as you can be patient then you'll be fine.

This current batch is somewhat close to completion.
Aren't priority in batches on a first come, first serve basis?  Like if I put my app in right after a batch gets done and the new one starts being worked on, then in the batch mine is in it would get looked at sooner?

For future reference anyway.  I haven't actually applied.

Posted Image


#2832

MrFibre
    MrFibre

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • Curse Premium
  • 2028 posts
  • Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
  • Minecraft: MisterFiber

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

View PostMaxJ2001, on 09 January 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

Will not having any experience moderating a forum hurt the chances of being accepted?
Experience shouldn't be too large a concern. I had no experience moderating prior to MCF, and I was accepted. Mostly we pay attention to your post quality (which is basically helpfulness, kindness, ect).

~ Mt. Quebec Howls ~


#2833

MaxJ2001
    MaxJ2001

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

I do have some nonsense/joking' aroun posts(considering I wanna moderate off-topic) but I still have my fair share of helpful posts...

Posted Image


#2834

jefe
    jefe

    Creamymin

  • Forum Admin
  • 16134 posts
  • Location: Colorado
  • Minecraft: jefe323

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

View PostCorvo, on 09 January 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Aren't priority in batches on a first come, first serve basis?  Like if I put my app in right after a batch gets done and the new one starts being worked on, then in the batch mine is in it would get looked at sooner?

For future reference anyway.  I haven't actually applied.

Yes, your application would be in the next batch (it's a queue-type system, first in first out). However, once it's in the apparatus system there is no guarantee in which order the applications will be processed.  While I can't speak for the rest of the admins, I never look at applications in order.


As for experience, none is required.  A bit is useful, but most of the tools we use are in-house anyway so most of the "experience" we'd look at is user to user interaction (most of which we glean from user's posts) and not "how well can I use x, y or z forum software tools".

#2835

TheEvanCat
  • Location: Sealand
  • Minecraft: TheEvanCat
  • Xbox:TheEvanCat
  • PSN:TheEvanCat

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostMaxJ2001, on 10 January 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

I do have some nonsense/joking' aroun posts(considering I wanna moderate off-topic) but I still have my fair share of helpful posts...

A sense of humor is an automatic fail.

Posted Image

Don't judge me because I'm fabulous.


#2836

DoctorFetus
  • Minecraft: DoctorFetus

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostTheEvanCat, on 10 January 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

A sense of humor is an automatic fail.

Yes.

It only gets in the way. You must be operating at 100 PERCENT EFFICIENCY

#2837

MaxJ2001
    MaxJ2001

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Even in the Off-Topic section?

Posted Image


#2838

Rogue
    Rogue

    Gambrinous

  • Forum Admin
  • Curse Premium
  • 8733 posts
  • Location: Rochester, NY
  • Minecraft: Rogue
  • Xbox:RogueMurder

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostMaxJ2001, on 10 January 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

Even in the Off-Topic section?

No, DoctorFetus was employing sarcasm.

Quote my post to make sure I see your reply - MCF Hosting CoordinatorPosted Image


#2839

MaxJ2001
    MaxJ2001

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Oh, good. TY

Posted Image


#2840

LimitlessMC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostMaxJ2001, on 10 January 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

Try not to worry to much, just apply and go about how you usually would and report people who break rules and participate in the forums as you always do.. Doesn't have to be complicated.
"The only easy day was yesterday"