• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Is there trick to finding Nether Fortresses?

the nether nether fortress

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Peteeez
    Peteeez

Carpenter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Minecraft: Pedroitos

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

I've been wondering around the Nether for hours and I haven't seen a single Nether Fortress, I'm looking Nether Brick for my house and a Blaze rod to make an Ender Eye but I just can't seem to find any fortresses, I've even got lost from the portal a few times. Is there any tips to finding them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Register or log in to remove.

spiderraptor42

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

View PostDild0Merchant, on 12 August 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

I've been wondering around the Nether for hours and I haven't seen a single Nether Fortress, I'm looking Nether Brick for my house and a Blaze rod to make an Ender Eye but I just can't seem to find any fortresses, I've even got lost from the portal a few times. Is there any tips to finding them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
patience.
Posted Image

IronMagus

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

There's no hard-and-fast rule to find their exact location but there is a general rule of thumb that can speed up the process a bit. Nether fortresses tend to generate in rough, zig-zaggy "strips" that run generally along north-south lines. This means that you shouldn't explore in a north-south fashion, or else you're likely to remain forever stuck between two of these strips, never crossing over one and so never seeing a fortress. Instead, you should explore either east-west or diagonally, this way you'll cross over the strips at regular intervals, maximizing your chances of spotting a fortress. Once I learned this trick, it's never taken me more than ten minutes or so to find one after I started looking.
Village Mechanics: A not-so-brief guide - Update for 1.4! Added subsection on iron farming to the iron golems section. Only ten villagers required to spawn golems (down from sixteen)! Put to rest the "facing doors cancel each other" myth!

View PostTechdolphin, on 30 September 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

If you say plz because it is shorter than please, I will say no because it is shorter than yes.

LeMasterTJ
  • Minecraft: LeMasterTJ

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Go west-east or vice versa, not north-south/south-north. Because of the way Fortresses generate, you can go North-South forever, but never find one. They generate in North-South lines, so if you're not in one of the "lines", you're outta luck. Run a world through Amidst to see what I mean. :P
I have no idea what to put here, nor do I have any idea what to make my profile pic. Ideas welcome, I suppose. Now satisfy my like whoreing hogging self and give me a little rep, please and thank you? :P

CosmicForum
  • Minecraft: CosmicStorm

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

Walk forwards until you see one, DO NOT STOP WALKING UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries!" - French Knight

Peteeez
    Peteeez

Carpenter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Minecraft: Pedroitos

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

View PostIronMagus, on 12 August 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

There's no hard-and-fast rule to find their exact location but there is a general rule of thumb that can speed up the process a bit. Nether fortresses tend to generate in rough, zig-zaggy "strips" that run generally along north-south lines. This means that you shouldn't explore in a north-south fashion, or else you're likely to remain forever stuck between two of these strips, never crossing over one and so never seeing a fortress. Instead, you should explore either east-west or diagonally, this way you'll cross over the strips at regular intervals, maximizing your chances of spotting a fortress. Once I learned this trick, it's never taken me more than ten minutes or so to find one after I started looking.

Thank you, I will try! Also so they tend to be at the bottom of the Nether or up high or which, so should I be going up or down to find one?

IronMagus

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

View PostDild0Merchant, on 12 August 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

Thank you, I will try! Also so they tend to be at the bottom of the Nether or up high or which, so should I be going up or down to find one?
I've heard you should look around level y=70 and below.  I don't know if there is a limit to their height or not, but the pillars that hold them up go all the way down to the ground.  I tend to just stay on the surface, however high that is, and look all around.  Once you do get near a fortress, they're pretty hard to miss.
Village Mechanics: A not-so-brief guide - Update for 1.4! Added subsection on iron farming to the iron golems section. Only ten villagers required to spawn golems (down from sixteen)! Put to rest the "facing doors cancel each other" myth!

View PostTechdolphin, on 30 September 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

If you say plz because it is shorter than please, I will say no because it is shorter than yes.

Epicness1324

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

Open up the co-ordinates with F3. Walk in the direction that makes the "f" co-ordinate display as 0. I always find fortresses when walking in that direction
Posted Image
I am ninja'd far too often.

FrikinFluffahBunnah

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:43 AM

I had the same luck as you, taking many hours to find a Nether Fortress. I eventually did find one however, and it was closer to my portal that I would have thought. As many people in this thread already said, traveling east and west, or diagonally is your best bet for finding on.

When I first entered the Nether, I just started tunneling straight forward for SOOOO long, which ended up getting me absolutely no where. Turns out the fortress was just a litle bit east of where my portal was.

Pro tip: Take along a stack of cobblestone and a stack of torches with you, then you can place a cobblestone and put a torch on top of it as you go along, that way you never get lost. Once you find a Nether Fortress, I would reccomend mining some Nether Brick and using it as a marker back to the fortress, that way you know which direction the fortress is from your portal.

For those who are curious: I got a TON of nether brick and nether fences from the fortress I found, about 40 Nether Warts, and I found a Blaze Spawner :P

Keyl10
    Keyl10

Carpenter

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:38 AM

Decided to take the easier route and switch over to creative to fly through to find a fortress.  Found one, quite a ways away.  Got lost though and found about seven more on my trip back, which concluded with a new portal a good 5000+ blocks from my base.  Long walk/flight to say the least.  

And now I've got a railway to that original fortress with a wonderful blaze farm.

CatsGoBark
  • Minecraft: CatsGoBark

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:43 AM

I don't know about you but I just walk in one direction until I find one or get killed.
The fact that cats go bark is scientifically unproven to be 100% false.

CrystalCreeper
  • Minecraft: CrystalCreeper

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

Keep walking and don't even think about punching a pigman. I'm serious. I made that mistake and now I can't even enter the Nether without getting killed 9001 times over.
HAX ON YOU
Lol

Night_Soul
  • Minecraft: yoshiplush2

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

You just have to keep looking at the bottom of the nether were the lava is and you can find one then.
NOTE: Theses are quite hard to find.
yoshiplush2/Yushe is my name not night_soul GIVE A +1

BillyBoy64
  • Minecraft: MuttJunior

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

You pick a direction and walk. If you come up to lava, turn.

Bring lots of cobble with you. Place one down every so often (good to put one down where you can still see the last one) and use it as a "breadcrumb" trial to get back to your portal. And then just go out searching. As others have said, try not to travel north-south direction if you can help it (migth need to for short distances to get around lava, but keep it generally in an east-west direction as much as you can).

I also found it works best to look out of the corner of your eyes. The fog seems to be much less if you use your peripheral vision than it is looking straight ahead.

DevilOfEnderDragon

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

View PostDild0Merchant, on 12 August 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

What version do you use,1.2.5?. If it is,single player commands for 1.2.5 is wayyyyyyy long ago out,download it then command "SetSpeed8" Turn difficulty to "Peaceful" Then walk forwards (For 15 minutes) And see if you can find anything

MrSpaM
    MrSpaM

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

I've always found they spawn right next to where my entrance portal is, i've even spawned directly into a fortress before

Zorg
    Zorg

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

If you want a trick use Minutor to find it (search in the wiki for download).

Crykura
    Crykura

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • Minecraft: Crykura
  • Xbox:TsB I Talent

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

Nether Fortresses tend to spawn in "strips" aligning along the Z axis (north/south) in the nether, making them easier to find after one has already been found by simply moving north or south, keeping the X coordinate steady. This is a good method to use if you are having trouble finding Nether Fortresses

Ronar1
    Ronar1

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Minecraft: Ronar1

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Nether fortresses have a habit of spawning on the same Z axis. Which Z coordinate depends on the seed. But once you find one fort, you can keep walking the Z axis to find more. With that in mind, its why the zig zag method mentioned earlier was most likely to be helpful.

3DS FC: 3540 - 0163 - 8988
My friend safari is water, PM me and I'll add you!

daniyaal14rules
  • Minecraft: Daniyaal14

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:28 AM

this has ALWAYS worked for me, sometimes far away or close , and I mean REALLY close but head south> IM TELLIN YOU IT WORKS PEOPLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!