• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Circles...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

scootin_aboot

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

I have a problem: I am awful at circles. Each and every circle I build ends up either as a diamond or as some bizarre monstrosity, and so every time I've had to build a circle I've ended up relying either on mcedit or the circle building chart that's been floating around. But now I'm planning a project that calls for something more- I need a flat circle with diameter of 601 blocks.
The mcedit circle tool doesn't build anything bigger than two hundred and something, so i've been studying the charts and while I've identified some basic patterns I lack the necessary math skills to derive a appropriate formula. I've tried searching every board in this forum and I haven't hit on anything useful, so...

My plea: can someone give a suggestion as to how to build this thing, either by hacking or pure hard toil or whatever? Your help would be much appreciated...

Register or log in to remove.

rainpeltstar1
  • Minecraft: rainpeltstar1

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:51 PM

First I make a square, then take off the corners. But you should have a set width and length, say 25 X 50.
Posted Image

gogman25 said:

P.S Do not say junk from Europe never works, because junk from America never works. Kay?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Wulf_Oman
    Wulf_Oman

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1030 posts
  • Minecraft: Wulf_Oman

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

[]  []  :Skeleton:  :iapprove:  :Spider:  []  []
[]  :Zombie:  []  []  []  :SSSS:  []
:Lava:  []  []  []  []  []  :tnt:
:Black:  []  []  []  []  []  :Black:
:Black:  []  []  []  []  []  :Black:
[]  :Black:  []  []  []  :Black:  []
[]  []  :Black:  :Black:  :Black: []  []

:)

scootin_aboot

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

The problem here is the size of the thing- copying the patterns of any smaller circles I've seen just leads to an  diamond looking thing.

DaBiggman

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

What I do is draw in photoshop (or paint if you dont have it) and just hold shift to form a perfect circle with the circle tool.  Then, convert that into minecraft as each pixel = a block.
Posted Image
Diamond Awards: 2

DaBiggman, you now have my favorite avatar on these forums

Lorimarko

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

Am I the only one who immediately thought "CROP CIRCLES" upon seeing this thread? Am I the only one who wants to see someone make some awesome crop circles in Minecraft?

Proof of Purchase: Lorimarko

Arcesious said:

Yay, random mysterious update that no one else got. My game is special now. Special.

Posted Image

Quackor
    Quackor

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:35 PM

Lorimarko said:

Am I the only one who immediately thought "CROP CIRCLES" upon seeing this thread? Am I the only one who wants to see someone make some awesome crop circles in Minecraft?

I thought about Crop Circles too :iapprove:

On a serious note - get a quad-ruled notebook, some pencils, and an eraser - now you can plan building ANYTHING in Minecraft!

riv
    riv

Carpenter

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

i use MCedit to make circles, they have an item called 'brush' that lets you set the diameter of the brush and you can make pretty much perfect spheres, delete the top half of the sphere and you have a circle made for you, its how i made my water castle (currently under construction)

Posted Image

scootin_aboot

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:38 AM

I seem to have underestimated the tl;dr effect...

riv
    riv

Carpenter

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:46 AM

you can still use MCedit to make your 601 circle diameter just make a 100 diameter sphere and use it to make a cross then round off the edges

or you can use math, a 600 meter circle can hold a 428 meter square which would be the center of your arc, also you only have to make a quarter of it in order to make the full circle, so start off w/ a 300x300 square and then from one point of that square build a second square thats 214x214 (in a different material)
now you can build a grid 1 block on top of it spaced 20 meters apart so you have a grid of 20x20 over your 300x300
you should then be able to recreate this in paint or some other program, draw your circle on top of it and then match each 20x20 square w/ the picture

scootin_aboot

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:04 AM

riv said:

you can still use MCedit to make your 601 circle diameter just make a 100 diameter sphere and use it to make a cross then round off the edges

or you can use math, a 600 meter circle can hold a 428 meter square which would be the center of your arc, also you only have to make a quarter of it in order to make the full circle, so start off w/ a 300x300 square and then from one point of that square build a second square thats 214x214 (in a different material)
now you can build a grid 1 block on top of it spaced 20 meters apart so you have a grid of 20x20 over your 300x300
you should then be able to recreate this in paint or some other program, draw your circle on top of it and then match each 20x20 square w/ the picture

You, sir, win 1000 internets! Many thanks.

SemanticX

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:06 AM

or you could use a program from the wiki called perfect sphere which generates the plan of your circles for you
[Frame] http://www.minecrafttutorials.co.uk <-My Minecraft Tutorial Site(WIP)
[Frame] http://www.semanticx.co.uk/  <-My Minecraft Blog
[Frame] http://www.youtube.com/user/SemanticX  <-My YouTube Channel

NeonVolcom

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:19 AM

Haha me too bro, me too -_-
Posted Image

Treece
    Treece

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:32 AM

riv said:

Can someone please simplify this simple maths? D:

'Squids are evil. I will eat them all. I WILL EAT THEM ALL'
- Cookies to whomever gets the reference

VinexNike
  • Minecraft: VinexNike

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:43 AM

I suck at circles tooooo :/
Posted Image

thekrimzonguard

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

Use MS Paint to draw a circle (hold down Shift when using the ellipse tool), then zoom in until you can see the pixels.
It'll be a pain to copy into Minecraft manually and accurately, but it''s a perfect circle nonetheless!

riseoflegends
  • Minecraft: riseoflegends

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:42 AM

Whenever I need to make circles, I just use this diagram:

Posted Image
Link to a bigger version

Just pick the diameter you want and follow the design.

diegofn
    diegofn

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

http://i50.tinypic.com/2lj71c7.png
IMA FREAKIN GENIOUS.

p.s. not made by meh.
:tnt:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

zyzzyvette

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

diegofn said:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2lj71c7.png
IMA FREAKIN GENIOUS.

p.s. not made by meh.
:D

riseoflegends said:

Whenever I need to make circles, I just use this diagram:
Link to a bigger version

Just pick the diameter you want and follow the design.

Did you two even READ the OP?

OP, I always use Paint, but I've never used MCEdit so I don't know if there's an easier way.