How to fix: Internal exception: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

fix java.net.socketexcpetion internal exception connection reset

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

GoldMiner

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Posted Image

Common symptoms

The symptoms are quite the same with everyone else. You log in (sometimes you can't and thus gives you the error), the world naturally loads, you are able to explore around but you are unable to chat or build. After 10 seconds you get kicked and the error pops up. Some people like myself could barely play fine during night times but during the day, multiplayer was unplayable. Sometimes, when you travel very fast either by cart or by flying (chunks are loaded faster) you inevitably get kicked out with the exception.

Posted Image

How is it caused?

I won't go into the specifics but a socket exception is generally caused by errors in the TCP. However we will specifically be looking in solving connection resets which are generated by the RST bit sent by the server which you tried to connect to (server resets the connection). This happens either because your internet connection has a high latency or ping or your internet connection is damaged (faulty wires). This causes packet loss and unfortunately Minecraft is highly sensitive to it.

You might think that your internet connection is super fast which obviously describes that Minecraft multiplayer should run fine. Well yes. Minecraft only needs about 50kbps to send chunk information and player data, however even if you have a 100Gbps connection, online performance is usually dependent on the ping. The speed in which data travels from one place to the other. Anti-viruses, firewalls and other applications which slow down your internet can be involved.

Another cause is entirely software related. Different versions of Java may behave differently with each other, in this case we're talking about the Socket class. I'm not entirely sure but I think the Socket class may have incompatibility issues with other versions. Don't quote me on this though. If that's the case it can be fixed simply by updating Java to the latest version. In fact, this is the number one solution that surprisingly worked for most users. There's a how-to-guide below.

Back in Minecraft version 1.3, people have been spamming the internet with this mysterious error. The main cause was related to the Minecraft client not being compatible with the multiplayer servers. Users couldn't get in because the server version was still out of date. So the solution was to downgrade the client. Mojang have also pointed this issue on their website but unfortunately they don't provide much support for this bug (that's why I'm doing it myself).

Posted Image

Solutions!

Firstly make sure your client has the same version as the server you're trying to join. If you don't have the same version you can download MCNostalgia and use it to downgrade your client.

Update Java

If you don't want to have any incompatibility issues, then I'd encourage you to install the latest Java runtime environment (jre 7.0_05). Before you do, it is recommended that you uninstall other previous versions. If your Operating System runs in 32bit then install the 32bit (x86) version only. If you have 64bit, install both starting with 64bit and then 32bit in this precise order.

Disable un-needed network hosts

Hamachi and Virtual Box could be one of them. They can slow down or interfere with your connection. Access the network control panel and click on "modify network cards" (or something similar). Right click on whichever host you need to disable and then simply click disable.

Disable your firewall

You can access the firewall settings in the control panel and disable it there. If that doesn't work you could try also disabling your router's firewall. If those fail try disabling your anti-virus (these options aren't recommended as hackers can easily infiltrate your computer).

This also works for: Internal exception: java.net.SocketException: Software  caused connection abort: socket write error

Re-install Minecraft

Who knows... something in the game files might have gone corrupted. A simple fix is to re-install Minecraft completely (make sure you save your worlds first).

Allocating more memory

Some users claimed that allocating more memory to their Minecraft client fixed the exceptions. Odd, I'm not quite sure why it happens to work but I guess it's worth trying.

Here's a how-to-guide on how to add more memory.

Check for bad wires, splitter etc

If you are connected through ADSL then you might want to check if your phone/ADSL splitter is working properly. You can test it by unplugging the splitter and connecting the ethernet cable directly into the phone line.

More testing!

Try changing your modem by grabbing one off a friend. Also, try a different network or a different PC to see where the problem really is. If you want to know what your ping is click here. A slight packet loss could easily trigger the exception error.

Posted Image

No hope Posted Image

If you are still having issues then before you post you must try all of these suggestions and have done all of the testing. I may not be able to help since my knowledge is quite limited to some extent but I may in the future when I learn a bit more about socket exceptions.

Please post your system specifications including your internet speed/ping. The more information you provide the more I'll be able to help.

If it works, please press the green arrow to the right.

Edited by GoldMiner, 09 April 2013 - 01:11 PM.

Internal exception: java.net.socketException: connection reset
Click here for help!

Register or log in to remove.

IronWaffle
    IronWaffle

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 954 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

Good suggestions. If anyone decides to  install Linux remember you may need to update LWJGL if you have control/sound/video problems. Google how to update that in minecraft or click my signature, I have the guide linked in my thread.

Never take the sword or bow off the hotbar!

Posted Image

TheRealRocketeer777

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

Thx For the suggestions Hope this worked u Did GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoldMiner

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

I have tried a windows re-installation but the problem still persists... weird huh?

Click here for help!

GoldMiner

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Update, this error is not always caused by software.

Click here for help!

DubsIV
    DubsIV

Carpenter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Minecraft: Dubs22

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:29 AM

Hey so I am having extreme difficulties with connecting to my server. I am constantly getting disconnected with the message " internal exception: java.net.socketexepction: connection reset." I am not positive what exactly you want to know but my ping is 118, earlier i was getting 50.

GoldMiner

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostDubsIV, on 13 September 2012 - 07:29 AM, said:

Hey so I am having extreme difficulties with connecting to my server. I am constantly getting disconnected with the message " internal exception: java.net.socketexepction: connection reset." I am not positive what exactly you want to know but my ping is 118, earlier i was getting 50.
Welcome on board. I need to know if you tried every solution including the ones in further suggestions. I need to know your operating system, system specs and modem/router.

Click here for help!

DubsIV
    DubsIV

Carpenter

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

View PostGoldMiner, on 14 September 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

Welcome on board. I need to know if you tried every solution including the ones in further suggestions. I need to know your operating system, system specs and modem/router.

Inspiron 1440 laptop
Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
2.0 GHz Performance Rated at: 3.00 GHz
4.1 GB RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
DirectX  11.0
84.5 GB Free Space

GoldMiner

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostDubsIV, on 18 September 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

Inspiron 1440 laptop
Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
2.0 GHz Performance Rated at: 3.00 GHz
4.1 GB RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
DirectX  11.0
84.5 GB Free Space

And the rest please... :)

Click here for help!

DubsIV
    DubsIV

Carpenter

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:05 AM

motorola surfboard and a trendnet?

I heard that you can get connection resets if your computer has an IP address conflict with another device on the network.

that actually makes sense. 2 of my roommates play on the same server with me. But only 1 of them consistently plays when I do. and we have a dynamic map online that has a chat. (and it connect your name with your IP) And We've had issues with him chatting and showing up as my name and me showing up as his. Just now we tried it and he showed as his and I showed up as his name also. Then i just logged on and logged off and tried typing on the map again and it showed up as my name.

....so if that makes any sense....

Any idea how I can fix this issue or verify it is the problem? We checked IP's and do not have the exact same. I use to play on the same network at my old apartment with my roommate and we never had any issues (this was also before 1.3).

I directly connected to the internet today for a bit and played minecraft with no issues. I just tried again on wifi and was immediately given the same error of connection reset.

GoldMiner

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

Conflicts with other IP address may be the issue but if the problem appears to happen when you're the only one connected then it's not the case. However you can give it a try assigning your computer a static IP, there are many tutorials on the net about it. Question, do you get disconnected only on wifi or on all networks?

Click here for help!

DubsIV
    DubsIV

Carpenter

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

I do not get disconnected when my room is offline. My roommate who plays MC with me is hardwired and Im on the wifi. I get disconnected. Although when I take his cable and hardwire myself to the internet (he is off the internet) I do not get disconnected.

EDIT I tried making a static IP but i got no internet access. i must have done something wrong but i cant figure out what. I did my computer side stuff correctly but I am unsure on what to do for the router.

EDIT i followed this video...

I believe i have a static IP address, i did not do anything to the router. I have internet access and am playing. gonna try and wait to see if i get dc'd. i get get dc'd twice to "End of stream" while i was minimizing my game trying to use the forums and load a few sites.

EDIT just got same error but instead of connection reset it said "READ TIMED OUT"

DubsIV
    DubsIV

Carpenter

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

....got connection reset error again..

GoldMiner

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

What if you both use cable?

Click here for help!

Delbareth
  • Minecraft: Delbareth

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

For some weeks I regularly meet this problem. But if I'm right it's not exactly the same.
I can log on, play for few seconds and then it crashes saying that error message (or another one "End of flux" it seems to me). And some times you cannot walk at all. At the begining it happened only in the central region of the overworld. At this time I has to move 200 blocks away and it was fine again (quite tedious but possible). I was then able to go to the nether and do what I want. Nether has always been ok, even when closing/opening a session. But at each death, I restarted in the overworld and it crashed.
I noticed that going back in the "buggy area" from a distant portal was still fine. It seems that it crashes when it load all the chunks at the same time (at the spawn instant). But now it also crashed when distant, so it's becoming very difficult for me too reach the nether.
Do you think this problem is related to yours?

Precision: this problem happens when connected to our serveur, from a laptop or computer, under windows or linux system... And the serveur has been updated.
Posted Image

GoldMiner

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostDelbareth, on 01 October 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

For some weeks I regularly meet this problem. But if I'm right it's not exactly the same.
I can log on, play for few seconds and then it crashes saying that error message (or another one "End of flux" it seems to me). And some times you cannot walk at all. At the begining it happened only in the central region of the overworld. At this time I has to move 200 blocks away and it was fine again (quite tedious but possible). I was then able to go to the nether and do what I want. Nether has always been ok, even when closing/opening a session. But at each death, I restarted in the overworld and it crashed.
I noticed that going back in the "buggy area" from a distant portal was still fine. It seems that it crashes when it load all the chunks at the same time (at the spawn instant). But now it also crashed when distant, so it's becoming very difficult for me too reach the nether.
Do you think this problem is related to yours?

Precision: this problem happens when connected to our serveur, from a laptop or computer, under windows or linux system... And the serveur has been updated.

No I don't think it's related...

If this happens on that specific server in one specific location of the game then it's obviously the server's problem. Tell your admin about it. Are other players having the same issue?

Click here for help!

Delbareth
  • Minecraft: Delbareth

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Yes other players (on different type of computers) and even the admin.
The most strange thing is that when you manage to go out of the buggy zone, it doesn't crash anymore and then you can come back in the buggy zone without problem... until you die or exit (nether or real life) and return.
Posted Image

john1557
    john1557

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Nothing has worked so far, I have also resorted to reading and watching other people's stuff, nothing has worked so far. Can you pleeeeeeeaaaaasssssseeeeeeee help me?

GoldMiner

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

View Postjohn1557, on 06 October 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

Nothing has worked so far, I have also resorted to reading and watching other people's stuff, nothing has worked so far. Can you pleeeeeeeaaaaasssssseeeeeeee help me?

Have you tested your internet connection?

Click here for help!

BLiiTzyHD

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

I just allocated more ram and that seemed to work fine thanks for the tips
Posted Image