• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft video recording policy and monetizing.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Acelike
    Acelike

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Minecraft: Acelike

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

Within reason you‘re free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the Game. By “within reason” we mean that you can‘t make any commercial use of them or do things that are unfair or adversely affect our rights. If you upload videos of the game to video sharing and streaming sites you are however allowed to put ads on them. Also, don‘t just rip art resources and pass them around, that‘s no fun.

I am this "paranoid" person about getting my YouTube videos flagged and receiving a copyright strike.
Just double checking here;
From what I've read there, it is implied that you MAY record and upload videos to YouTube, you may also monetize them to gain revenue.
Correct?

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/AcelikeMC

Currently in development!

Register or log in to remove.

welshpixie
  • Minecraft: WelshPixie

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Correct. Further, if Minecraft did not have that specifically stated, commentary videos, tutorials, parodies and a few other types of video also fall with the 'fair use' policy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use It's a good thing to read up on beyond the wiki article, if you intend going into making videos Posted Image

Acelike
    Acelike

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Minecraft: Acelike

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

View Postwelshpixie, on 10 August 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

Correct. Further, if Minecraft did not have that specifically stated, commentary videos, tutorials, parodies and a few other types of video also fall with the 'fair use' policy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use It's a good thing to read up on beyond the wiki article, if you intend going into making videos Posted Image

Thanks. I'm always strict with this copyright stuff, don't want to get in trouble, you know? Posted Image

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/AcelikeMC

Currently in development!

taschneide
  • Minecraft: taschneide

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

So, if I get a notification saying that "one of my videos [a video of Minecraft] may have copyrighted material," when I dispute this, should I choose:

a. I own the CD/DVD or bought the song online
b. I'm not selling the video or making any money from it
c. I gave credit in the video
d. The video is my original content and I own all of the rights to it
e. I have a license or written permission from the proper rights holder to use this material
f. My use of the content meets the legal requirements for fair use or fair dealing under applicable copyright law.
g. the content is in the public domain or is not eligible for copyright protection.

(Likely candidates are in bold.)

Most of the video is just pure Minecraft, however, I do "remix" (or rather, cut up and rearrange) one of the music disc songs for my intro and outro.

Posted Image

A CTM series by me, Tasch! (Wither Saga #1: Darkfall now under construction!)

welshpixie
  • Minecraft: WelshPixie

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

If you're only using music found inside the Minecraft game, and not from any external source, then you can select 'e', and provide a link to the Minecraft terms and conditions page from their website where it states that you can use game content in monetized videos.

pickelsurprise

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

I've been thinking about doing this, but even with Mojang's permission, I'm still a little worried.

From what I've heard, YouTube has a tendency to take down monetized videos if they even suspect that they're breaking copyright agreements. Obviously with the statement above, this is not the case for Minecraft videos, but I'm just paranoid YouTube will think it is and start taking my videos down.

Does anyone actually have any personal experience with monetizing Minecraft videos on YouTube? I'd like to know if there are any people out there who are still doing it, and if they've had any issues.

I suppose I could always just try, but I'd prefer not to get into any potential legal trouble if YouTube does decide to make an issue of it.

Cries
    Cries

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'd just like to confirm for comfort's sake that Mojang & Notch specifically said that you can make money out of their game through videos & stuff so you don't have to worry about Mojang taking your videos offline.

XxlittlexeggyxX

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

wondering this too... good to know, since i just enabled monetization before reading this :P