Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

On how to use /gamerule...?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Chilangosta
  • Minecraft: Chilangosta

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

I haven't heard any explanation of the new "/gamerule" command in the latest snapshot, except this from the Minecraft Wiki:

/gamerule <rule name> <value> or/gamerule <rule name> : Allows the player to adjust several base settings. Rule Names: doFireTick, doMobLoot, doMobSpawning, doTileDrops, keepInventory, mobGriefing.

I'll probably get on and play around with this, but until I do, is there anyone that can tell me what these base settings do and what values modify them (how much, etc.)?

Register or log in to remove.

RobZ51
    RobZ51

Void Walker

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1911 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostChilangosta, on 10 August 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

I haven't heard any explanation of the new "/gamerule" command in the latest snapshot, except this from the Minecraft Wiki:

/gamerule <rule name> <value> or/gamerule <rule name> : Allows the player to adjust several base settings. Rule Names: doFireTick, doMobLoot, doMobSpawning, doTileDrops, keepInventory, mobGriefing.

I'll probably get on and play around with this, but until I do, is there anyone that can tell me what these base settings do and what values modify them (how much, etc.)?
All you can do is turn them on and off, like /gamerule doFireTick false turns fire spread off. They are case-sensitive. doMobLoot disable makes nothing drop items, the monsters and animals just drop xp. doMobSpawning turns off mob spawning, i don't know what doTileDrops do. keepInventory decides if you keep your inventory when you die. mobGriefing turns off creeper block damage and endermen block pickup.
Posted Image

qNxX
    qNxX

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Minecraft: qNxX

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

What Boilingfort said. And doTileDrops decides whether the thing you planted drops if you want to harvest it.
If it's true you get your wheat from a fully grown crop, if it's false you only get the seeds.
Posted Image
To those who want others to click the green arrow if they helped: The arrow is actually white, the square around it is green!

cadika_orade
  • Minecraft: cadika_orade

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

Very interesting indeed. So I could make a map out of wool and TNT, add a pool of lava, and stop fire from spreading until someone solves the final puzzle?

I could....

doFireTick = Turn fire spread on and off.
doMobLoot = Keep mobs from dropping loot and potentially making my adventure map easier.
doMobSpawning = Keep new mobs from spawning except where I want them to.
doTileDrops = No more looting chests by breaking them!
keepInventory = ...I have no idea. o_O
mobGriefing = No creeper craters or enderman blocks! I'll bet it stops zombies from breaking doors, too.
The Internet is a big place, friend. I've been places you've n͍̺e̩v̦e̦̰͍͓̩ͅr̜̭̝̬̬͉̤̬ ͙ịm̖͇a͍͇̤͙̥g̤̘i͔͖̤̼̪̬n͖͔̳̬̯e̩̘ḓ͈͔̠̙͇̼̯.͎

RobZ51
    RobZ51

Void Walker

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1911 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

View Postcadika_orade, on 10 August 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

Very interesting indeed. So I could make a map out of wool and TNT, add a pool of lava, and stop fire from spreading until someone solves the final puzzle?
That could work.
Posted Image

Skylinerw
    Skylinerw

Sectional Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 3637 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

View Postcadika_orade, on 10 August 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

keepInventory = ...I have no idea. o_O

It's to keep your inventory upon death, instead of losing everything. Very helpful :).

cadika_orade

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostSkylinerw, on 10 August 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

It's to keep your inventory upon death, instead of losing everything. Very helpful Posted Image.

Ah! I like that idea. Thank you. :3
The Internet is a big place, friend. I've been places you've n͍̺e̩v̦e̦̰͍͓̩ͅr̜̭̝̬̬͉̤̬ ͙ịm̖͇a͍͇̤͙̥g̤̘i͔͖̤̼̪̬n͖͔̳̬̯e̩̘ḓ͈͔̠̙͇̼̯.͎

Chilangosta
  • Minecraft: Chilangosta

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Thanks! I guess jeb did get around to implementing a lot of the changes adventure map creators wanted to see, then.

So, to sum up:

*All values true/false, respectively
doFireTick          = toggles fire spread on/off
doMobLoot         = toggles drop items on/off (xp still drops)
doMobSpawning = toggles on/off mob spawning
doTileDrops       = toggles farmed items (wheat, melon slices, etc.) drops on/off (still drop seeds even if off)
keepInventory    = toggles keeping your inventory when you die on/off
mobGriefing    = toggles Creeper block damage and Enderman block pickup on/off

Let me know if this list is incorrect. Again, million thanks!

Skylinerw
    Skylinerw

Sectional Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 3637 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

View PostChilangosta, on 10 August 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

Thanks! I guess jeb did get around to implementing a lot of the changes adventure map creators wanted to see, then.

So, to sum up:

*All values true/false, respectively
doFireTick   = toggles fire spread on/off
doMobLoot = toggles drop items on/off (xp still drops)
doMobSpawning = toggles on/off mob spawning
doTileDrops    = toggles farmed items (wheat, melon slices, etc.) drops on/off (still drop seeds even if off)
keepInventory = toggles keeping your inventory when you die on/off
mobGriefing    = toggles Creeper block damage and Enderman block pickup on/off

Let me know if this list is incorrect. Again, million thanks!

From what I heard doTileDrops is for explosions: whether or not an explosion will cause any blocks to drop. Haven't heard the part of the farmed items though O.o

The mobGriefing also counts zombies breaking down doors. It does NOT take into account if a mob tramples crops or related.

EDIT:

For the doTileDrops, it seems that no block will provide any drops. It's possible the seed thing is a bug, then.

cadika_orade

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

View PostSkylinerw, on 10 August 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

For the doTileDrops, it seems that no block will provide any drops. It's possible the seed thing is a bug, then.

Ah. that makes more sense. I like this change. It will really allow for some dynamic maps.

I was thinking "tile enitity" like chests and furnaces. No idea why Mojang sometimes uses "tile" to refer to any block. :/

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

I'm thinking doTileDrops toggles whether a block will drop anything when broken.  Someone above said wheat would still drop seeds, just not wheat.  Is that true? It sure doesn't make sense.  Seems like mining any block would no longer drop an item.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

CynicBound

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

People don't seem to understand what tile entities are. Basically they are any (block?) that has extra stored data for example chests, furnaces, blocks with redstone. Making it useful so if water spreads by accident or something unintentional or if you want somethong to be destroyed but not have all these drops ling around, this option is great for you. Although I don't know why they didn't include this in creative mode, items keep filling up my inventory.
Posted Image

cadika_orade

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

View PostCynicBound, on 10 August 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

People don't seem to understand what tile entities are. Basically they are any (block?) that has extra stored data for example chests, furnaces, blocks with redstone. Making it useful so if water spreads by accident or something unintentional or if you want somethong to be destroyed but not have all these drops ling around, this option is great for you. Although I don't know why they didn't include this in creative mode, items keep filling up my inventory.

That's weird. Blocks don't drop when I'm in Creative. o_O

jacer21
    jacer21

Carpenter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Minecraft: jacer21

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

View Postcadika_orade, on 10 August 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

That's weird. Blocks don't drop when I'm in Creative. o_O

For me items only drop when they are broken indirectly. For example, when I break the sand block under some cactus, the cactus will drop but not the sand.

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

Arrows fired from dispensers, mob drops, things popped by breaking other blocks are what fill up my inventory.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

kamikazehighland

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

I've been trying gamerule and it's not working.  Says it's an unknown command.no matter how I type it in.  I did it case sensitive and everything.  "/gamerule doFireTick false" says Unknown Command.

fmine_77
  • Minecraft: flo_77

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

View Postkamikazehighland, on 11 August 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

I've been trying gamerule and it's not working.  Says it's an unknown command.no matter how I type it in.  I did it case sensitive and everything.  "/gamerule doFireTick false" says Unknown Command.

Are you trying it in snapshot 12w32a?
My adventuremap Sky fortress: Link
Sorry, if my englisch is bad. It is not my native language.

VitorBatistaLOL
  • Minecraft: VoiceActorMan
  • Xbox:VoiceActorMan

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

This topic was so much useful!
Milion thanks for chilangosta (for asking and replying the answer) and other helpers!!!
Posted Image

QuiqkSilver

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

The mobgriefing one isnt very thorough. I tested it yesterday. It works with Creepers and Endermen and stuff, but not Ghasts blowing up blocks and Silverfish breaking them when they leave the block.

Chimera245

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

Also, it's worth noting that if MobSpawning is off, all the mobs that have ALREADY spawned are still there, and mobs can still come out of spawner blocks, like in a dungeon or Nether Fortress. And unlike Peaceful difficulty, it seems to stop animals and other passive mobs from spawning, too.