Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

OUYA

ouya android minecraft

  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: what do you think of OUYA (37 member(s) have cast votes)

are you getting it?

  1. Yes! (14 votes [37.84%])

    Percentage of vote: 37.84%

  2. No! (5 votes [13.51%])

    Percentage of vote: 13.51%

  3. No but it looks interesting (10 votes [27.03%])

    Percentage of vote: 27.03%

  4. Maybe (8 votes [21.62%])

    Percentage of vote: 21.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1

SkaterSam
    SkaterSam

    Enderman Ender

  • Members
  • 8543 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

Have you seen the new OUYA game console yet?
If not go check it out. http://www.kickstart...eo-game-console
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

#2

TheAwesomeHNH
  • Location: Nether

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

http://www.minecraft...le/page__st__80
beat ya to it
Posted Image

#3

SkaterSam
    SkaterSam

    Enderman Ender

  • Members
  • 8543 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

View PostTheAwesomeHNH, on 08 August 2012 - 06:47 AM, said:

oh sorry I had not seen that one :P
Posted Image

#4

Boelens
    Boelens

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3682 posts
  • Location: the Netherlands
  • Minecraft: Boelens

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

We bought the limited edition one over here with two controllers, can't wait, looks promising.
Posted Image

#5

CosmicSpore

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

I'll probably get one someday, just because I have plenty of uses for a device like that.
I probably wouldn't use it for it's intended purpose though, unless it actually does become popular.

On that note, I don't think it's going to be really popular. I think it has the potential... but the developers don't actually seem all that interested in what the system needs, they seem to be quite a bit more interested in it's marketing potential, and how to make money.
I don't think they actually care about gaming... They really have not shown it. In fact, they used many different... well, basically lies, to support the KickStarter.
As well, they seem to refuse to answer the concerns of funders, potential funders, as well as potential future customers.

And like any business, if all you care about is making money and nothing else... You're not going to succeed at anything really great.

But I don't know yet... Maybe they are just overwhelmed at this point and acting like morons because of that... But their KickStarter was set up with the lies in the first place, so I'm really starting to be quite skeptical about most of their 'promises' for this thing, and whether they can actually handle it or not.

They have, so far, only been feeding off of over-hype, and nothing but that.

#6

mattsenzo
  • Location: Pennsylvania, USA
  • Minecraft: mattsenzo

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

I won't be buying this. Something in my gut is telling me that it won't meet expectations that everyone is getting excited over. From the way I've heard it's going to be a powerful cell phone that can play video games better then a cell phone. To me that sounds like a step back in time for technology.

Yes I know it will be ~$100 but it sounds over hyped and I think people are thinking it will be better then current consoles when it will most likely be nothing close to them.

But that's my two-cents on this product.

EDIT: and the KickStarter for a new console seems like a last resort then a first step in funding a company.

EDIT2: After rewatching the video it looks like they are going more the Apple route. Make it look good and work well but don't truly push technology.

#7

Drtrdt
    Drtrdt

    Iron Miner

  • Members
  • 291 posts
  • Location: a world you may not understand
  • Minecraft: drtrdt

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

I don't if I want to waste my money on that, but it seems like something new.

Signatures are too mainstream,


#8

Boelens
    Boelens

    Glowstone Miner

  • Members
  • 3682 posts
  • Location: the Netherlands
  • Minecraft: Boelens

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

I think it's more for developing of games, and the easy ability to mod/edit games.
Posted Image

#9

Clark
    Clark

    Nether Resident

  • Members
  • 2493 posts
  • Location: uk, cambrigeshire,wisbech
  • Minecraft: 123guy45

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

View Postmattsenzo, on 09 August 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

I won't be buying this. Something in my gut is telling me that it won't meet expectations that everyone is getting excited over. From the way I've heard it's going to be a powerful cell phone that can play video games better then a cell phone. To me that sounds like a step back in time for technology.

Yes I know it will be ~$100 but it sounds over hyped and I think people are thinking it will be better then current consoles when it will most likely be nothing close to them.

But that's my two-cents on this product.

EDIT: and the KickStarter for a new console seems like a last resort then a first step in funding a company.

EDIT2: After rewatching the video it looks like they are going more the Apple route. Make it look good and work well but don't truly push technology.

The "hype" is over the fact that it is one of the only consoles (If not, THE only) that allows users to put games on there with out having to spend so much to get a licencing on the bloody thing (As there is not one).

What people do not get that it is not trying to beat the Xbox/PS3/Wii, it is trying to help Indie devs get a game going. Much like steam, but for consoles. In no way is it trying to push technology, only to help Indie games and the devs.
No matter what you do or were you come from, you will all ways be judged by the general opinions Gaming section.

#10

CosmicSpore

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

View Postmattsenzo, on 09 August 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

I won't be buying this. Something in my gut is telling me that it won't meet expectations that everyone is getting excited over. From the way I've heard it's going to be a powerful cell phone that can play video games better then a cell phone. To me that sounds like a step back in time for technology.

Yes I know it will be ~$100 but it sounds over hyped and I think people are thinking it will be better then current consoles when it will most likely be nothing close to them.

I'm not sure what people are expecting... But I don't think anyone is expecting it to be better than the Xbox or PS3 or anything. If they are then they are certainly going to be disappointed by that.

It really does have cell-phone parts in it. Some of the better ones, too. The Tegra 3 being the main focus. And for $100 that actually is not a very bad deal at all.

They make their money by not having to install a screen, a phone signal... thing, or many of the other fancy gadgets phones have in them these days. And those pieces are actually the things which make smartphones so expensive.

What makes the console unique is it's ability to be a cheap console for indie developers.
It's a very affordable console for consumers, comes a traditional controller, and it's an open-platform that has no licensing fees.

It has the potential to market some really awesome old-style ("retro") games, as well as plenty of new innovative indie games.
That is where it could potentially be a true success..... as well as a complete failure.

It also has great potential to be a good device for hackers, modders, and etc. who know how to program within the Android OS.
You can basically do anything you want to it that you could do with a smartphone except much more... if you know how.

#11

mattsenzo
  • Location: Pennsylvania, USA
  • Minecraft: mattsenzo

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

View Post123guy45, on 09 August 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

The "hype" is over the fact that it is one of the only consoles (If not, THE only) that allows users to put games on there with out having to spend so much to get a licencing on the bloody thing (As there is not one).

What people do not get that it is not trying to beat the Xbox/PS3/Wii, it is trying to help Indie devs get a game going. Much like steam, but for consoles. In no way is it trying to push technology, only to help Indie games and the devs.

So why not just get the Ubuntu OS and make the game on there? Android is Linux based so it should be able to everything the Android OS can.

You wouldn't have to buy a new product all they would have to do is make the store for Ubuntu and ta-da you can play Angry Birds (bad example) on your desktop.

Does that make it a little clearer for what I'm trying to say?I'm not the greatest at getting what I'm trying to say onto here.

#12

Clark
    Clark

    Nether Resident

  • Members
  • 2493 posts
  • Location: uk, cambrigeshire,wisbech
  • Minecraft: 123guy45

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

View Postmattsenzo, on 09 August 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

So why not just get the Ubuntu OS and make the game on there? Android is Linux based so it should be able to everything the Android OS can.

You wouldn't have to buy a new product all they would have to do is make the store for Ubuntu and ta-da you can play Angry Birds (bad example) on your desktop.

Does that make it a little clearer for what I'm trying to say?I'm not the greatest at getting what I'm trying to say onto here.

Yes, you can do this. The OYUA is for people who want a game on a CONSOLE not a PC. Also, if you read cosmic spores post, you can see why there is so much hype.
No matter what you do or were you come from, you will all ways be judged by the general opinions Gaming section.

#13

Vividkinz
    Vividkinz

    Enderman Ender

  • Members
  • 8352 posts
  • Location: Sorry, too busy being dead.
  • Minecraft: Vividkinz

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

I might consider buying this thing when interesting new titles are on it.

As of right now, the only titles I've seen are games that have been released on other platforms.

Posted Image


#14

mattsenzo
  • Location: Pennsylvania, USA
  • Minecraft: mattsenzo

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

View Post123guy45, on 09 August 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

Yes, you can do this. The OYUA is for people who want a game on a CONSOLE not a PC. Also, if you read cosmic spores post, you can see why there is so much hype.

I read his post but to me it still seems like all they are doing is taking a cell phone and changing the casing and calling it a console. It doesn't seem like it's worth wasting time and money on it when the cell phone can already do all of the stuff they are making. It is nice to see that more people want to get the public in to coding but I don't see this as the right way of doing it.

The only difference between a computer and a console is the controller in your hand. You could easily make a controller for the computer and you could't tell from in-game that you were on a computer.


View PostCosmicSpore, on 09 August 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

I'm not sure what people are expecting... But I don't think anyone is expecting it to be better than the Xbox or PS3 or anything. If they are then they are certainly going to be disappointed by that.

I've have a few friends donated and then told me it will be better because it's newer then current consoles. That's mostly why I think people are expecting more out of it then what they are truly buying. I may just have been talking to a small percentage that I'm basing it off of.

When they told me that all I could do is shake my head because I know there is little I can do to change their minds.

#15

bowserchomp
  • Location: Tennessee
  • Minecraft: bowserchomp

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

Every console should come with a free neckbeard. :lol:
Don't fear the ripper.

#16

Lucario41893
  • Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
  • Minecraft: Lucario41893

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

View Post123guy45, on 09 August 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

Yes, you can do this. The OYUA is for people who want a game on a CONSOLE not a PC. Also, if you read cosmic spores post, you can see why there is so much hype.

A console? Really... I don't even really think that this classifies as a console in the least sense. If this OUYA is a console, then the iPad is a console because I can plug it into a TV and use it to play games or watch or do whatever.

It really is an overpowered phone to say the most. If devs really want to make a game for a console then they shouldn't be looking into a cell phone SDK.

If you are serious about making a game or something, why wouldn't you make it for the PC? Everyone and their brother has one and if you're making a game that can run with 1 GB of RAM and a mobile phone processor then even crappy "Wal-Mart" computers would be able to handle such things no problem.

It just seems to me like it's a little bit of a waste of money, all you're basically getting is a controller to play the games with, and there are dozens of third party and other types of software to use your PS3 or xBox or whatever type of controller you have with a PC.

#17

01coolwhip

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:03 AM

so some 1 Plz one tell me whats the difference between the ouya and a Console like the ps3 or Xbox?

#18

Kennyiyi
    Kennyiyi

    Newly Spawned

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

I backed for the limited edition and I am really excited to get it. I like the fact that a lot of easier games like jump & run style games will be on OUYA.

#19

jppk1
    jppk1

    Portal Expert

  • Members
  • 5337 posts
  • Location: Finland
  • Minecraft: jppk1

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostKennyiyi, on 05 September 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

I backed for the limited edition and I am really excited to get it. I like the fact that a lot of easier games like jump & run style games will be on OUYA.
Necropost much?