I've reached about 6 javaw.exe's that take up about 4GB of RAM. but my CPU stays very low like at 0-10%. Also my RAM usage was at around 96% Usage which should have resulted in a blue screen of death; however, nothing happened.
I think from what I've seen, it may be the new minecraft update with ATI Graphics cards. Everyone I know that has been having this problem has a ATI and everyone that I know that don't have this problem are using a Mac or NVidia graphics card.
I'll tell you what doesn't work.
1. Clean update still causes the problem.
2. Using a different launcher still causes the problem.
3. Using batch files still causes the problem.
4. Whether it Crashes, You click the x button, you press terminate the process, or you click the Quit Game button, it still causes the problem.
5. Deleting 1.2.5 minecraft that for some reason gets downloaded in force update still causes the problem.
6. Clicking End Process Tree or End Process still causes the problem.
7. Using mods or not still cuases the problem.
8. Having Java 7 Update 5 or Java 6 or Java 7 Update 3. It doesn't matter. It still causes it.
A lot of people have just been uselessly saying these things fix it, but you have to understand that sometimes things like this doesn't work for everyone. Maybe just you.
I am for SURE that problem originates from Minecraft. It may be the compatibility between Minecraft and Java or the Graphics card.
But this problem has not occured to me ever, until 1.3.1 came out.
I can also confim all this. I have a Raedon graphics card and have tried everything. Nothing works.