• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

HomieRicky
    HomieRicky

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1013 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

So yesterday when 1.3.1 came out, I began to experiment around with all the new features. I opened up my Singleplayer world to LAN and I got a line of text saying that the server opened up on an IP and on some port.

Now I know that the IP is my internal IP which only people within my network can join, but I thought, "Can others join too if they had my external IP?" So I portforwarded the port that my local server was using and I gave the IP and port to a friend of mine who was clearly not on my network. Guess what, he got in. I don't know if anyone discovered this already but you can try it for yourself.

How to do this: Just make a Singleplayer world, type /publish, portforward the port it gives you (NOTE: The port is not the same everytime you open the server), get your EXTERNAL IP address on a website like whatismyip.com or ipchicken.com, then finally, give the external IP and port to the person who will join the server.

tl;dr You can let anyone join your LAN server if you portforward the given port and give external users your external IP (whatismyip.com) and said port.

EDIT /*

I haven't been back to this thread in quite a while and I see that some people are confused with the process. Portforwarding differs from router to router. I'm not very good at doing it to routers other than my own. If you need steps on this process, there are many tutorials on portforward.com. Also, MineCrak has a link to a topic with instructions for using Hamachi.

View PostMineCrak, on 02 September 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

btw: Ivorius has just posted detailed Instructions for all platforms on how to extend your LAN-Server to others over the internet via Hamachi.

So two ways to get the job done. I've also posted a back link in that thread to this one, so the circle is now complete. Posted Image

*/

-ricar144

Goodbye...

Register or log in to remove.

verean
    verean

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Minecraft: verean

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

That is a very interesting find, if only the port was always the same!

Wiinick
    Wiinick

Coal Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:54 AM

This doesnt work for me. I am no stranger to port forwarding but please provide an example of what to put into the port box. I just put my computer IP which is 192.168.1.74. Do i need to put 192.168.1.74:XXXXX

starlinvf
    starlinvf

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3169 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

That was one of the first things people were messing with when the snapshots added it.   And then we spent a half a day going insane because we couldn't figure out why no one could connect to it....  then we found it out it was binding to the loopback.   And then they fixed it.

View PostWiinick, on 03 August 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

This doesnt work for me. I am no stranger to port forwarding but please provide an example of what to put into the port box. I just put my computer IP which is 192.168.1.74. Do i need to put 192.168.1.74:XXXXX

What box are we talking about here?

DarkKat48

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

Worked like a charm for me Ricar144.  Gave an upvote for the clean cut instructions.

View PostWiinick, on 03 August 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

I put the IP it gave me and put the port in the port range.  Gave my friend my public IP address and she connected right away doing a direct connect.

kannaKG24

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

Can this work with LogMeIn Hamachi? If so, can you explain how? Posted Image

Is there a way to keep the same IP for friends to connect, so they can save the server?

mabvs
    mabvs

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Minecraft: Mabvs

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

192.168.***.*** is a LAN IP, not the real IP of the internet. You need to find it 1st. In windows, just open a command prompt (WInkey +r, type cmd, hit enter), then type winipcfg. You should see 2 IPs, one that starts with 192 and another... the other is the one you need.
Those that can, do. Those that can't Google it.

Taizz
    Taizz

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1751 posts
  • Minecraft: Taizzz

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

Damn Minecraft LAN and it's random port choosing! >.< But On topic, nice find! ^_^

Have I helped you? If I have why not help me back and hit the Posted Image down below? :D

Serpentis

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

I was looking for a confirmation on whether port forwarding would work for a LAN game just yesterday. Thanks, Ricar! I've bookmarked this thread and already upvoted you. Great instructions. Simple and straight forward.

cadika_orade
  • Minecraft: cadika_orade

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

Very cool find. Also, if you just Google "what is my ip", Google will tell you your external IP. Yay Google!
The Internet is a big place, friend. I've been places you've n͍̺e̩v̦e̦̰͍͓̩ͅr̜̭̝̬̬͉̤̬ ͙ịm̖͇a͍͇̤͙̥g̤̘i͔͖̤̼̪̬n͖͔̳̬̯e̩̘ḓ͈͔̠̙͇̼̯.͎

57davidrusted

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

Sorry, but if it isn't too hard, do you think one of you guys could please help me with port forwarding?

you_are_mad
    you_are_mad

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1005 posts
  • Minecraft: you_are_mad

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

It's better to just use the usual minecraft_server.exe. You only need to port forward the 25565 port once and you're set for life.
Posted Image

kmce
    kmce

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:50 AM

for a fool like me could you go over it once more with clear insructions, all the ip's confuse me i dont know what one i give to people

MineCrak
    MineCrak

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4130 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

Very nice, thank you. Now if I could only port forward through my works firewall. ;) Or even just access an external minecraft server through the firewall.

cadika_orade
  • Minecraft: cadika_orade

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

View PostMineCrak, on 01 September 2012 - 03:24 PM, said:

Very nice, thank you. Now if I could only port forward through my works firewall. Posted Image Or even just access an external minecraft server through the firewall.

Proxy it!
The Internet is a big place, friend. I've been places you've n͍̺e̩v̦e̦̰͍͓̩ͅr̜̭̝̬̬͉̤̬ ͙ịm̖͇a͍͇̤͙̥g̤̘i͔͖̤̼̪̬n͖͔̳̬̯e̩̘ḓ͈͔̠̙͇̼̯.͎

Bomb Bloke

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:19 PM

Proxies are great for outgoing communications, but we're talking about incoming connections here. You'd have to set up a full-on VPN or equivalent.

View Post57davidrusted, on 31 August 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

Sorry, but if it isn't too hard, do you think one of you guys could please help me with port forwarding?
The exact process depends on your modem/router, here's a good place to start learning.

If memory serves, the "open to LAN" function chooses a random port number every time you use it. This means you need to reconfigure the port forward in your modem/router every time you use it, too. As you_are_mad mentions, the "minecraft_server.exe" server functionality doesn't have this problem.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P

MineCrak
    MineCrak

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4130 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

View Postcadika_orade, on 01 September 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

Proxy it!

Hmm, I'll have to research this. Thanks!

btw: Ivorius has just posted detailed Instructions for all platforms on how to extend your LAN-Server to others over the internet via Hamachi.

So two ways to get the job done. I've also posted a back link in that thread to this one, so the circle is now complete. ;)

FireNemisis13
  • Minecraft: FireNemisis13

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

View Postyou_are_mad, on 31 August 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

It's better to just use the usual minecraft_server.exe. You only need to port forward the 25565 port once and you're set for life.
Ok but with that you are limited to what mods you can run with friends

d3thdrug
  • Minecraft: e3e

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

does this work with hamachi?
i herd u liek mudkipz mod                                                                               downlod here:
http://www.minecraft...mudkipz-update/

d3thdrug
  • Minecraft: e3e

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

1.which ip do you port
2.where do you port

plz answer quick i wanna play with my cuz
i herd u liek mudkipz mod                                                                               downlod here:
http://www.minecraft...mudkipz-update/