Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Snooper Settings...


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1

Shadowkillerr

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

So, apparently Minecraft has decided to do a little data mining with the 1.3.1 patch.  There is a new menu in the options called 'Snooper Settings...' that allows Minecraft to get specs about your computer and version of minecraft.

  The exact quote of the description is 'We want to collect information about your machine to help improve Minecraft by knowing what we can support and where the biggest problems are.  All of this information is completely anonymous and viewable below.  We promise we won't do anything bad with this data, but if you want to opt out then feel free to toggle it off!'

In and of itself I have absolutely no problems with them gathering information to help improve Minecraft.  Furthermore, they did at least mention it in the patch notes.  My concern is two-fold though.   First and foremost, it states "+ Added option to turn off and view snooper data" which implies that it's been there for a while and only now is viewable and can be toggled.  Second, why in the world is it on by default.  Yet another example of a company using software to invade my privacy without my explicit permission.

Tell me, what are your thoughts/concerns on this?

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Gatling_Tech
  • Location: Algaisia
  • Minecraft: "GLaDOS".

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostShadowkillerr, on 02 August 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

So, apparently Minecraft has decided to do a little data mining with the 1.3.1 patch.  There is a new menu in the options called 'Snooper Settings...' that allows Minecraft to get specs about your computer and version of minecraft.

  The exact quote of the description is 'We want to collect information about your machine to help improve Minecraft by knowing what we can support and where the biggest problems are.  All of this information is completely anonymous and viewable below.  We promise we won't do anything bad with this data, but if you want to opt out then feel free to toggle it off!'

In and of itself I have absolutely no problems with them gathering information to help improve Minecraft.  Furthermore, they did at least mention it in the patch notes.  My concern is two-fold though.   First and foremost, it states "+ Added option to turn off and view snooper data" which implies that it's been there for a while and only now is viewable and can be toggled.
if so, it'd have been from a snapshot, which i'm guessing most people using them would have it on anyway

Quote

  Second, why in the world is it on by default.  

Tell me, what are your thoughts/concerns on this?
because most people will never care enough to really check it. they'll get much better results with it on by default, than they will by having it off by default,

Quote

Yet another example of a company using software to invade my privacy without my explicit permission.
it's anonymous, and you said you have no problems with it, and it is with your explicit permission, don't like it, turn it off.

#3

rbailey5
    rbailey5

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

Most programs that collect this type of data usually have you opt out, not in. The only difference is that most of the time it's a check box you uncheck during installation.

In the change log Mojang told us it was there, not to mention that it has it's own button in the options menu that people will see every time they change there settings. They're also telling us exactly what data they are gathering instead of simply saying "It's not personal" like most other software developers would.

So, I don't have an issue with it.
Posted Image

#4

jagr06
    jagr06

    Coal Miner

  • Members
  • 123 posts
  • Minecraft: jagr06

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

Honestly I don't see the problem, Mojang aren't a shady company who's going to use your PC specs and data to mess with people. They're trying there best to make minecraft play the best it can on every PC out there even some older models and they've done a good job so far. You say you're fine with this idea especially after they explained what the data is likely going to be used yet you complain it's on by default. That's a standard for most options and like above there's no initial opt in options as most programs has it listed as opt out.
www.youtube.com/user/jagr06

#5

Nerevar
    Nerevar

    Creeper Destroyer

  • Members
  • 6104 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

People would have known if the MC client was harvesting specific information and sending it to Mojang before 1.3.1. Also, what version of Java you use and your OS isn't really private information, and even if it was the act is simply not egregious.

-The Power to Destroy-


#6

Skelator424

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

View PostGatling_Tech, on 02 August 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

it's anonymous, and you said you have no problems with it, and it is with your explicit permission, don't like it, turn it off.
Having it default to "off" and me turning it on would be my explicit permission. It's assuming my permission is being given because I'm not turning it off, when in reality I may not be aware it's even in there. That is the exact opposite of explicit permission.

View PostNerevar, on 04 September 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

People would have known if the MC client was harvesting specific information and sending it to Mojang before 1.3.1. Also, what version of Java you use and your OS isn't really private information, and even if it was the act is simply not egregious.

Incorrect.
First, while we were aware that Mojang was considering doing this, most people were NOT aware that it was already being done until they saw the option to turn it off.
Second, yes my Java and OS version are private information, because I haven't released it to anybody. I will agree that it is not personal information, and that they are not collecting any identifying information. But that's not the point.

I will say this simply so it's not taken the wrong way. I have no problem providing feedback if asked. I have no problem with them knowing what Java version and OS I'm using, if they ASK. The problem I have is HOW they are going about this- they are assuming that I don't have a problem with it and not doing anything to make sure I'm aware it's even going on in the first place.

Any and all forms of data collection should be "opt-in", with the exception of cases where there is a clear and obvious message alerting the user to the fact data is being collected and telling them how to turn it off. In some countries and regions, defaulting to "on" could even possibly violate one or more laws related to customer data collection and storage.

#7

jimmybrite
  • Location: Qu├ębec, Canada

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

0 concern, even if you pirate the game. And you can turn it off.

#8

cecilexplodes
  • Location: tn
  • Minecraft: cecilkrakken

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

There was a huge thread about this when Notch mentioned it on January 25th of this year.  He even polled his readers to see what they thought! Check out the post here: http://notch.tumblr....etting-us-snoop

I am sure you can find the thread if you look hard.  Good luck!

#9

ivyn
    ivyn

    Redstone Miner

  • Members
  • 623 posts
  • Location: Valhalla
  • Minecraft: ivyn

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:31 AM

There are NO NEGATIVE REPERCUSSIONS! Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot or trying to discredit mojang.

Besides, other companies record your settings and what have you, and others do even more. Example, Google has everything you've ever searched linked to your IP, emails and name. Are you complaining that they have records of you googling scat llama porn? No? Then buzz off with this bitching...
Posted Image

#10

Xinkc
    Xinkc

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 970 posts
  • Minecraft: Xinkcet

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

View Postcecilhowe, on 05 September 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

There was a huge thread about this when Notch mentioned it on January 25th of this year.  He even polled his readers to see what they thought! Check out the post here: http://notch.tumblr....etting-us-snoop

I am sure you can find the thread if you look hard.  Good luck!

OMG, I remember that thread. It was awful.

Anyways, collecting anonymous, general usage data that is on by default is a common practice by my understanding.
Dragon Cave free since the summer of 2011.

#11

Gatling_Tech
  • Location: Algaisia
  • Minecraft: "GLaDOS".

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

so was this a purposeful necro bump? or something else?