Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

A Way to Install Mods without 7zip or WinRar

zip rar mods install minecraft.jar i like cheese

  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1

KA13
    KA13

    Coal Miner

  • Members
  • 108 posts
  • Location: The Nether
  • Minecraft: XLPizza13
  • Xbox:NO!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

Here's a way to install mods very, very easily without downloading unarchive programs such as 7zip and WinRar:

1. Click on start, and search "folder options".
2. In this thing, look for a line that says "show hidden extensions" or something like that.
3. Click the checkbox next to it, and close "folder options".
4. Go to your "minecraft" folder, and click on "bin".
5. Right click on minecraft.jar, click "rename" and rename it to "minecraft.zip".
6. Unzip minecraft.zip and extract the stuff into a folder in "bin".
7. Delete "minecraft.zip" and name the new unzipped folder "minecraft.jar".
8. Done! Now you can just drag all of your mods into minecraft.jar without having to unarchive it every time!
Posted Image
           Adding New Stuff to Minecraft since 2012!

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Jaymus
    Jaymus

    Stone Miner

  • Members
  • 90 posts
  • Minecraft: Jaymus3

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

I suppose that is a good way of doing that, but does that really belong in "mods" discussion?
No content found

#3

KA13
    KA13

    Coal Miner

  • Members
  • 108 posts
  • Location: The Nether
  • Minecraft: XLPizza13
  • Xbox:NO!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostJaymus, on 01 August 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

I suppose that is a good way of doing that, but does that really belong in "mods" discussion?
Yeah, it's how to install mods. Doesn't that belong in mods discussion?
Posted Image
           Adding New Stuff to Minecraft since 2012!

#4

beastman3226
  • Minecraft: beastman3226

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

You could also just change the minecraft.jar to a .zip and extract modded classes from there to minecraft.zip. Change back before you play.

#5

KA13
    KA13

    Coal Miner

  • Members
  • 108 posts
  • Location: The Nether
  • Minecraft: XLPizza13
  • Xbox:NO!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

View Postbeastman3226, on 01 August 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

You could also just change the minecraft.jar to a .zip and extract modded classes from there to minecraft.zip. Change back before you play.
Yur way is good too but then you have to do that every time you install a mod, my way you do it once and then you don't need to do it again. But yur way is a pretty quick way, though :)
Posted Image
           Adding New Stuff to Minecraft since 2012!

#6

Cuttersc2

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

so rather than installing 7Zip which is completely free software, has no ads, and is not a virus, your going to make yourself do a lot more work?

#7

Chaos_Therum
  • Location: Florida
  • Minecraft: Chaos_Therum

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Yeah why not just install 7zip it's a necessary program for me whenever I re install windows one of the first programs I install is 7zip
{MMFWCL}
Posted Image

#8

KA13
    KA13

    Coal Miner

  • Members
  • 108 posts
  • Location: The Nether
  • Minecraft: XLPizza13
  • Xbox:NO!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

View PostChaos_Therum, on 01 August 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

Yeah why not just install 7zip it's a necessary program for me whenever I re install windows one of the first programs I install is 7zip
I wasn't saying you had to i was just suggesting an idea, just use 7zip, i was just telling the way i do it.
Posted Image
           Adding New Stuff to Minecraft since 2012!

#9

Reiko
    Reiko

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

What if you don't have a "minecraft.jar" file or what ever. Mine just says "minecraft". And when i rename it .zip it does nothing... Help? :T

#10

nworB_cirE
    nworB_cirE

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Location: Utah, USA
  • Minecraft: nworB_cirE

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

View PostReiko, on 31 October 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

What if you don't have a "minecraft.jar" file or what ever. Mine just says "minecraft". And when i rename it .zip it does nothing... Help? :T

View PostKA13, on 01 August 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

Here's a way to install mods very, very easily without downloading unarchive programs such as 7zip and WinRar:

1. Click on start, and search "folder options".
2. In this thing, look for a line that says "show hidden extensions" or something like that.
3. Click the checkbox next to it, and close "folder options".

4. Go to your "minecraft" folder, and click on "bin".
5. Right click on minecraft.jar, click "rename" and rename it to "minecraft.zip".
6. Unzip minecraft.zip and extract the stuff into a folder in "bin".
7. Delete "minecraft.zip" and name the new unzipped folder "minecraft.jar".
8. Done! Now you can just drag all of your mods into minecraft.jar without having to unarchive it every time!

Posted Image
PLEASE! Learn to use spoiler tags, especially when posting crash reports: [spoiler]YOUR TEXT HERE[ /spoiler]

#11

Reiko
    Reiko

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

I know! I read that thing! I DON'T HAVE A MINECRAFT.JAR FILE! what do I dooooo? D:

#12

DiegoAtravesar
  • Location: Canada
  • Minecraft: DiegoAtravesar

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

View PostReiko, on 31 October 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

What if you don't have a "minecraft.jar" file or what ever. Mine just says "minecraft". And when i rename it .zip it does nothing... Help? :T
That means You skipped the steps at the beginning, to enable file extensions. Go do that, then try.

Also: like the above other people mentioned, Its usually easier to just use a zipping tool; This is a good method though, and certainly an interesting idea.

TBH Your essentially doing the same thing the Archiver is doing, just manually. I also think that Your PC has to have some sort of Archiver(even the most basic) in order to deal with the .zip's properly in the first place ;)
Servers I play on: NearbyNation Sub Server
Current Project: Universal Configs (On hold currently)

#13

nworB_cirE
    nworB_cirE

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Location: Utah, USA
  • Minecraft: nworB_cirE

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:35 AM

View PostReiko, on 01 November 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

I know! I read that thing! I DON'T HAVE A MINECRAFT.JAR FILE! what do I dooooo? D:

Spoiler:

It only says "minecraft" because you didn't follow instructions. You need to enable viewing known file types.
Posted Image
PLEASE! Learn to use spoiler tags, especially when posting crash reports: [spoiler]YOUR TEXT HERE[ /spoiler]

#14

DiegoAtravesar
  • Location: Canada
  • Minecraft: DiegoAtravesar

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostReiko, on 01 November 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

I know! I read that thing! I DON'T HAVE A MINECRAFT.JAR FILE! what do I dooooo? D:

View PostnworB_cirE, on 01 November 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

Spoiler:

It only says "minecraft" because you didn't follow instructions. You need to enable viewing known file types.
If You read it, You read it. You have to DO it. If You don't, You'll have a "Minecraft" file, with the Java icon. If You actually follow his instructions, It will change from "Minecraft" to "Minecraft.jar".  :)
Servers I play on: NearbyNation Sub Server
Current Project: Universal Configs (On hold currently)

#15

LightlordWu
  • Minecraft: LightlordWu

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

awsome i cant afford winrar and 7zip doesnt work for me, skydaz forums doesnt get all the mods on so this is what i have being looking for thx
Posted Image

#16

LightlordWu
  • Minecraft: LightlordWu

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

i just got a black screen i followed all the instructions what do i do?

oh wait i diid 1 instruction in the wrong order il try again.
Posted Image

#17

LightlordWu
  • Minecraft: LightlordWu

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

this doesnt work for me
Posted Image

#18

collcroc123

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

I kept trying and trying and did every step but i don't have a Minecraft.zip or .jar! I do have a Minecraft folder but it really isn't a... well.... folder. I forgot but there is a website that you just download, move it into a file and run. it was awesome but i forgot the address!Posted Image Posted Image

#19

yoboh1
    yoboh1

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

Just seeing what rank i am (Tree puncher, out of the water etc.)

#20

DayaScara

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

I think I did everything right but when drop my downloaded mod into the folder and i go to play Minecraft it doesn't work. Do you have to do something with the downloaded mod file first or...