• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

MCEdit: Minecraft World Editor (Now open source!)

world editor

• Please log in to reply
9499 replies to this topic

wideload
    wideload

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1333 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

View PostmeepstrodeRIO, on 05 April 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

it needs a update it's hard to work with the new blocks because they are with mising textures :/
It's open source. You could always add the new blocks yourself and submit it for addition - if you're that desperate.
Also, make sure you are using MCEdit 0.1.8 and not 0.1.7. That might have support for the newer blocks added.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

thebaum64
  • Minecraft: thebaum64
  • Xbox:thebaum64x
  • PSN:I Don't Like PSN

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

thank you :)

Posted Image

Click here for my Modpack!

If I have helped you in anyway or you like what I have posted, Please like my post. Thank you.

Locster9332
  • Minecraft: Locster9332
  • Xbox:SimplexCypress2

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:41 AM

I have been trying for a couple hours now and i still cant get MCEdit to work. I download and install all the required equipment to my good computer, but MCEdit just doesnt work. When I open the launcher it pops up for about a second then it disapears. Is anyone else having similar issues or know how to fix this to get MCEdit to open? Please help.
Check me out on YouTube------https://www.youtube....Y8beugYYiw/feed

Virtual_Pancake

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

What kind of sorcery is this with the chunks?

Posted Image

Posted Image

My server is 1.7.2 and I set the MCEdit chunk generator server to 1.7.2 as well, yet it still fails to match up the chunks. Why?

wideload
    wideload

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1333 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostLocster9332, on 07 April 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

I have been trying for a couple hours now and i still cant get MCEdit to work. I download and install all the required equipment to my good computer, but MCEdit just doesnt work. When I open the launcher it pops up for about a second then it disapears. Is anyone else having similar issues or know how to fix this to get MCEdit to open? Please help.
Are you extracting it from the zip and running it from a folder?
It would help to know exactly which version of MCEdit you are trying to run, and what OS (incl. 32 or 54-bit) you are trying to run it on. Make sure they match, especially for Macs as some people have got confused with them before.
Also read back through the thread, several others have had this problem and you may find a solution there, unless you've already tried that.

View PostVirtual_Pancake, on 07 April 2014 - 06:59 AM, said:

What kind of sorcery is this with the chunks?
My server is 1.7.2 and I set the MCEdit chunk generator server to 1.7.2 as well, yet it still fails to match up the chunks. Why?
Does your server contain any mods?
MCEdit only uses a pure vanilla chunk generation. If you have any mods installed this could affect chunk generation, even if the mods are  non-terrain related ones.
If you do have mods on your server then you shouldn't really use MCEdit to generate terrain (without the mis-match), or you could go looking for an in-game chunk generator. There used to be one but I'm not sure if it's still around. You'd place a block, select the area and off it would go.
You could also select the mismatched MCEdit created area and move the land up/down a few blocks so that it's closer. A bit of terraforming, smoothing and maybe biome changing and you're done.Posted Image
Posted Image

Virtual_Pancake

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:33 PM

Does your server contain any mods?
MCEdit only uses a pure vanilla chunk generation. If you have any mods installed this could affect chunk generation, even if the mods are  non-terrain related ones.
If you do have mods on your server then you shouldn't really use MCEdit to generate terrain (without the mis-match), or you could go looking for an in-game chunk generator. There used to be one but I'm not sure if it's still around. You'd place a block, select the area and off it would go.
You could also select the mismatched MCEdit created area and move the land up/down a few blocks so that it's closer. A bit of terraforming, smoothing and maybe biome changing and you're done.Posted Image

Yes, my server contains mods but it contains all the same mods my old server did and I never had this problem. The only thing I can recall changing is the level type which I set to "LARGEBIOMES". I am guessing MCEdit is unable to handle this?

wideload
    wideload

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1333 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostVirtual_Pancake, on 07 April 2014 - 06:33 PM, said:

Yes, my server contains mods but it contains all the same mods my old server did and I never had this problem. The only thing I can recall changing is the level type which I set to "LARGEBIOMES". I am guessing MCEdit is unable to handle this?
Yes, that would do it. MCEdit doesn't support large biome generation (as far as I am aware). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
You may have hit lucky with the installed mods if they aren't affecting anything. I've read many discussions on this in the ExtraBiomesXL thread. There's no way of telling which mods affect generation so I place safe and assume that all mods do. It's worth being aware of it if you add any more in the future.
Posted Image

evilsupahfly

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

View Postwideload, on 07 April 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

Yes, that would do it. MCEdit doesn't support large biome generation (as far as I am aware). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope. You're absolutely correct. In fact, that was one of the first things I posted about when I started using MCEdit. On the other hand, there is a tool called the MinecraftLandGenerator (or MLG for short) that will do large biomes, however you can't run it for anything less than a 1000x1000-block area.

That being said, though, you can delete the problem chunks in a given area in MCEdit, then set MLG to run at a specific area. Any land that already exists will be skipped and the remainder will be filled in based on the world data saved in level.dat.

All you need is the Minecraft server for the version you're playing in-game (i.e., 1.7.2) and a server.properties file that contains the name of your world, and the type, like LARGEBIOME or AMPLIFIED.

MLG will seamlessly fill in the rest. For simplicity, I just save the Minecraft server.jar and MLG to my SAVES folder and run it from there so I only have to change the LEVELTYPE and WORLDNAME settings when I want to work on a new world.

If you end up with a little extra, you can always trim it again in MCEdit. Since MLG is a JAVA app, you should make sure your JAVA is updated before running it. Also make sure you read the setup and running instructions on Page 1 of the MLG thread very carefully because there's a lot that can be misunderstood if you just skim it, but if you do have problems, just ask them. :)

Screwin' With The Nether - Courtesy Of MCEDIT!
Posted Image

Exxmorphing

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

Does anyone know if MCedit version 1.7 is at least somewhat compatible with the latest minecraft versions (1.7.8)?

Also, how unstable is the 1.8 MCedit build? Would anyone suggest using it at all, or should I just use the 1.7 version despite being meant for minecraft 1.6 (according to the forums)?

Edit: I read back a few pages and found that mcedit 1.7 should work with the latest versions, but the new, unimplemented blocks will have a pink texture. However, should I still use Mcedit 1.8 instead anyways?
"I do not judge, only chronicle"
-John Singer Sargent

wideload
    wideload

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1333 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostExxmorphing, on 13 April 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

Does anyone know if MCedit version 1.7 is at least somewhat compatible with the latest minecraft versions (1.7.8)?

Also, how unstable is the 1.8 MCedit build? Would anyone suggest using it at all, or should I just use the 1.7 version despite being meant for minecraft 1.6 (according to the forums)?

Edit: I read back a few pages and found that mcedit 1.7 should work with the latest versions, but the new, unimplemented blocks will have a pink texture. However, should I still use Mcedit 1.8 instead anyways?
The only compatibility problems that I can think of is with textures for the newer blocks. Other than that, all versions of MCEdit will work fine with any MC version from 1.x upwards. So MCEdit 0.1.7 will work with MC 1.7.8, but I don't believe it supports the newer blocks. MCEdit 0.1.8 does include some, if not all the newer blocks. I haven't moved up to MC 1.7.x, so I'm not 100%, I'm just going off the changelog.
But....MCEdit 0.1.8 is mainly classed as unstable (IMO) more as a warning that something may go wrong, not that it will. I, and many others in this thread, always use his 'unstable' builds. They are much more stable, and bug free, than other people's final releases. I wouldn't worry about it and just go ahead and use 0.1.8. If you're still uncertain use a backup of your world save, so you're always safe.Posted Image
Posted Image

mcfilmmakers

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

The question remains unanswered:

How do you make STAIRS?

wideload
    wideload

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1333 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

View Postmcfilmmakers, on 13 April 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

The question remains unanswered:

How do you make STAIRS?
You never asked a question about stairs. You asked about swapping coal block textures.
Methinks you've posted in the wrong thread. Maybe you meant the MCreators thread?
Posted Image

mcfilmmakers

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:54 AM

View Postwideload, on 13 April 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

You never asked a question about stairs. You asked about swapping coal block textures.
Methinks you've posted in the wrong thread. Maybe you meant the MCreators thread?

Aye, my cookies got twisted! Apologies!

JP_KRAFT
    JP_KRAFT

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Minecraft: JP_KRAFT

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:35 AM

mcedit isn't working for mac 10.6.8!

wideload
    wideload

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1333 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostJP_KRAFT, on 16 April 2014 - 12:35 AM, said:

mcedit isn't working for mac 10.6.8!
Yes it is.

See, others can be just as informative about the answer as you can about your problem. How aout you explain, in more detail, what you tried to do, what exactly didn't work, whether you got an error log (mcedit.log) and what your exact system specs are? (i.e. you need 64-bit for Macs)
That info would be helpful for Mac users to begin to sort this out.Posted Image
Posted Image

CTU
    CTU

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:32 AM

I could use some help. I need to export several chunks from my old world to a new one because the old one did not spawn the bioms I want and I think I could one that will (harden clay biom for one) I am usesing a modded 1.6.4 game client if that counds. I managed to export the chunk files tho did not see an option to import them and not sure how to do it

wideload
    wideload

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1333 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

View PostCTU, on 17 April 2014 - 02:32 AM, said:

I could use some help. I need to export several chunks from my old world to a new one because the old one did not spawn the bioms I want and I think I could one that will (harden clay biom for one) I am usesing a modded 1.6.4 game client if that counds. I managed to export the chunk files tho did not see an option to import them and not sure how to do it
By 'export the chunk files' I assume you mean using the Extract option from Chunk Control? I'm not sure that you can import them. At least not with MCEdit. But you can do what you want by using schematics.
Use the standard Select tool in the hotbar. Select the area you want to export then click Select Chunks on the left hand side, so that you know you have the whole chunks selected. Export it to your hard drive. Load your other world and use the Import tool in the hotbar to load the chunk schematic back in. Place it where you want (you might want to clear an area first) and save if your happy.
A modded game won't matter as long as the mods are exactly the same for both worlds, i.e. block ID's match and any modded blocks used in one world are present in the other. If not you might get some discrepancies like missing or altered blocks. You might also get sharop terrain changes between the new chunks and the imported ones. Just terraform them to look more natural.

If you just want to change the biomes of your new world (but this WON'T give you blocks like clay) then I'd reccommend World Painter.
Posted Image

HANGR4P
    HANGR4P

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

Best!

Gerry503
    Gerry503

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Minecraft: Gerry503

Posted Yesterday, 04:02 PM

I'm having problems with the filters. I want to change the biome that I live in, but the filters button is red and I am unable to select or use it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Subscribe to my Youtube channel, DrivenByDiamond,
bit.ly/18TbJoc

wideload
    wideload

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1333 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:28 PM

View PostGerry503, on 18 April 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

I'm having problems with the filters. I want to change the biome that I live in, but the filters button is red and I am unable to select or use it. Does anyone have any ideas?
You need to select an area first and then the filter button will become available.
Posted Image