• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

MCEdit: Minecraft World Editor (Now open source!)

world editor

• Please log in to reply
9499 replies to this topic

DeADeND
    DeADeND

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:35 AM

ty so much for this cool programm !! realy great work !
it save ton of my work, i now playing(1.703) in a world created with 1.301 with lots of stuff out of many of my other worlds. 8)

Register or log in to remove.

dureiken

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:09 AM

Hi there,

great tool, just a question : I deleted a chunk on my map but when playing again on the map, the chunk doesn't regenerate and I have a big hole on my map :(

Anyone can help me ? :)

Thanks

gabessdsp
    gabessdsp

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 221 posts
  • Minecraft: gabessdsp
  • Xbox:gabessdsp

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

My one complaint about this software is that when I have mods, with blocks, I can't see those blocks. I understand why this is, but what i want to know is, is it possible to edit something in the MCEdit folder so I can display extra blocks added by mods?
Posted Image

tj00110
    tj00110

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

View Postgabessdsp, on 16 July 2011 - 12:05 PM, said:

My one complaint about this software is that when I have mods, with blocks, I can't see those blocks. I understand why this is, but what i want to know is, is it possible to edit something in the MCEdit folder so I can display extra blocks added by mods?

I think the import button on the menu helps with that stuff.
I have been playing Minecraft since beta came out, this game is great!

pwntpants
  • Minecraft: TheTurbanat0r00

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

Okay, does anyone know if it is possible to choose the direction of placed pistons with MCEdit?? I need to place a very large amount, so I don't want to do it by hand but when I do it it places in one direction only
Posted Image

tjb0607
    tjb0607

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:55 PM

I just made an AUR Package for you. :)

Posted Image

Lord_Rump

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

I'm running Mac OS 10.5.8 and whenever I try to open MCEdit, it doesn't start. I checked the Console and it says: "osascript: display dialog 'Could not find Python2.6. Check your system configuration and try again.': No such file or directory"

Any way to fix this?

MinerGal

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:08 AM

I've been using MCEdit to plan out structures I want to actually build in a world and was wondering if there was a way to take a schematic and get a list of how many blocks of each type are needed to build it from scratch? I mean I can count them manually but some of the things are just really big and that would be terribly unpleasant to do >.>

Solatium
    Solatium

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:27 AM

I used MCedit to edit the level file for my multiplayer server, but now when I try to log in, the server overloads and the lag in game is unbearable.

I did not edit the files while I had minecraft running or the server running. I tried to place portal blocks to experiment if I could make a bigger nether portal than usual. After realizing something was wrong, I closed it all again and opened MCedit and removed the portal, but upon loading the game it does the exact same thing. I tried replacing the level file with a backed up one; didn't work. I tried replacing the whole world folder with a backed up version; didn't work. I am in the process of replacing my whole .minecraft folder with a backup, but any help is appreciated.

I am using stable 15 and Beta 1.7.3.

D00dlyD00
  • Minecraft: D00dlyD00

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:29 AM

PLEASE HELP!
MCEdit does not work in OSX Lion because X11 is not supported. Is there some way around this?
PLEASE HELP!

tritime
    tritime

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Minecraft: COOLMINER48

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

Where is the download?! I cant find it

Posted Image

tritime
    tritime

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Minecraft: COOLMINER48

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

Why does it say minecraft alpha level?

Posted Image

whythisname

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

I don't know if this has been asked before (I don't feel like going through 178 pages of posts -.-), but is it possible to also delete instances? You know, stuff like minecarts (in minecart form, not item form). Because I use mcedit for my stations and because it doesn't delete minecarts in the selected areas I end up with minecarts everywhere when I paste something with even more minecarts in it on the same spot.
So is it possible to delete minecarts? Or if it's easier, don't copy them when you clone an area? The main issue is just that I can't delete minecarts, but when I clone an area it also clones the minecarts in it.

I hope that's clear enough. Other than this issue I really like mcedit though.

MineCrak
    MineCrak

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4130 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:59 PM

codewarrior;

Will MCEdit work on ymod maps? Those maps use beta 1.2_02 linear chunks like vanilla Minecraft but extend either 256/ 512 or 1024 blocks instead of 128, depending on how you make the map.

* And perhaps more importantly; does MCEdit or will it eventually work with the newer height mod 'Cubic Chunks' maps? This is a 3D Chunks mod that raises the game map vertical size to 4096 blocks! It uses (16x16x16) sized chunks.

Cubic Chunks works with the current version of Minecraft beta 1.7.3 and is being actively developed and supported by Robinton and uses ModLoader. I believe this sort of mod & map type is the future of Minecraft, especially for building those epic 1:1 Large Scale Reproductions and things like that.

If MCEdit does not currently support these maps then I sincerely hope that you will consider working with Robinton to add some sort of basic support. This would have a huge impact on the future of High-Map support and usage for all of us! Thanks for reading my plea. :)

btw: I have now added info regarding the Cubic Chunks mod to my Higher Map thread/tutorial:

+ How to have a Higher map ( 256 / 512 / 1024 / 4096 ) instead of 128 +

[EDIT] Robinton has agreed to try and make ymod maps convertible to his current and supported 3D Chunk maps. If this is accomplished then it might not be as necessary to work on direct support for ymod maps with your software. But it will make your support of 3D chunk maps that much more valuable! :)

Robinton has detailed some more info on how his maps work: Here and here.

azureflamecloud

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

so does this tool work with MC-Extended world?
cause so far, all the MC-Extended world that I opened in MCEdit gives a MalformedChunk Error
is there a way for us MC-Extend user?

P.S. I'm on a Mac OS X  and on stable15

Unbrown
    Unbrown

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

Is ther a circle generation tool to make large cylindrical towers and stuff?
"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time."

codewarrior

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

View PostHiro TDK, on 15 July 2011 - 07:32 AM, said:

For the love of God, I will kiss you if add functionality to hold SHIFT to add to the current selection. I have a hilly forest and I need to add a layer of tall grass under the trees and without it, this process is tedious as hell. If you need help figuring out functionality, this is what I'd do.

There's more to it than that. I'd have to rewrite every single editing operation to work in terms of an irregular selection.

View PostBobacupcake, on 15 July 2011 - 07:33 AM, said:

I've searched around for this but couldn't find one...

I have a large mountain made of stone, but want it to be filled with ores and caverns. Is there any downloadable filter that adds ore and caverns with a similar code to normal ore in non-edited terrain? (So and so chance of replacing stone with coal up to layer 128, so and so change of replacing stone with diamond up to layer 16, etc.)
Technically, it can be done by turning off the "TerrainPopulated" bit on those chunks to make Minecraft repopulate them. I just need to put in a way to do it.

View PostToraskino, on 15 July 2011 - 05:47 PM, said:

How do I need to run MCedit on Linux? I tried the following, but it didn't work:
How about ./mcedit.sh or python -O MCEditData/mcedit.pyo ?

View Postdureiken, on 16 July 2011 - 08:09 AM, said:

Hi there,

great tool, just a question : I deleted a chunk on my map but when playing again on the map, the chunk doesn't regenerate and I have a big hole on my map :(

Anyone can help me ? :)

Thanks

Use the Chunk Control tool to completely delete chunks. Minecraft will regenerate them later.

View Postpwntpants, on 16 July 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

Okay, does anyone know if it is possible to choose the direction of placed pistons with MCEdit?? I need to place a very large amount, so I don't want to do it by hand but when I do it it places in one direction only
You should do precision building in Minecraft, then use the Clone tool in MCEdit to place a large number of whatever you built. Clone is pretty good about copying everything.

View Posttjb0607, on 16 July 2011 - 06:55 PM, said:

I just made an AUR Package for you. :)

Hey, thanks for that! What's the command to tell the AUR package manager to install it?

View PostLord_Rump, on 16 July 2011 - 09:15 PM, said:

I'm running Mac OS 10.5.8 and whenever I try to open MCEdit, it doesn't start. I checked the Console and it says: "osascript: display dialog 'Could not find Python2.6. Check your system configuration and try again.': No such file or directory"

Any way to fix this?
Download the latest stable or testing version again. I had to tweak the startup script a bit. Make sure you install python2.6 and numpy since you're on 10.5.

View PostSolatium, on 17 July 2011 - 04:27 AM, said:

I used MCedit to edit the level file for my multiplayer server, but now when I try to log in, the server overloads and the lag in game is unbearable.

I did not edit the files while I had minecraft running or the server running. I tried to place portal blocks to experiment if I could make a bigger nether portal than usual. After realizing something was wrong, I closed it all again and opened MCedit and removed the portal, but upon loading the game it does the exact same thing. I tried replacing the level file with a backed up one; didn't work. I tried replacing the whole world folder with a backed up version; didn't work. I am in the process of replacing my whole .minecraft folder with a backup, but any help is appreciated.

I am using stable 15 and Beta 1.7.3.

Instead of "replacing the whole world folder", what you should do is explicitly grab the world folder and put it somewhere else before you copy the backup into place. This eliminates the possibility of "leftovers" from the corrupted world getting into the clean one.

You should tell us exactly what edits you did.  It's possible to edit your map into a very laggy state by using the wrong block IDs.

View Postazureflamecloud, on 17 July 2011 - 04:12 PM, said:

so does this tool work with MC-Extended world?
cause so far, all the MC-Extended world that I opened in MCEdit gives a MalformedChunk Error
is there a way for us MC-Extend user?

P.S. I'm on a Mac OS X  and on stable15

Doesn't work with MC-Extended. The chunk format changes drastically (uint16-array, RLE, ...) whenever extended block IDs are used.
MCEdit: Minecraft World Editor

"We will absolutely not keep in mind what external mapeditors will have to do to read data from the disk, that makes no sense whatsoever." - Grum

codewarrior

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:41 PM

View PostMineCrak, on 17 July 2011 - 02:59 PM, said:

[size="3"]codewarrior;

* And perhaps more importantly; does MCEdit or will it eventually work with the newer height mod 'Cubic Chunks' maps? This is a 3D Chunks mod that raises the game map vertical size to 4096 blocks! It uses (16x16x16) sized chunks.

Robinton has detailed some more info on how his maps work: Here and here.

I didn't know someone was working on another height mod!  Thanks, I'll keep an eye on this. FYI, MCEdit only works with the ymod from 1.2_01.  The later ymod uses a variable chunk height that MCEdit can't deal with.
MCEdit: Minecraft World Editor

"We will absolutely not keep in mind what external mapeditors will have to do to read data from the disk, that makes no sense whatsoever." - Grum

MAY_0
    MAY_0

Carpenter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Minecraft: MAY_0

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:37 AM

I might dowload this sometime. Just waiting for newer versions of Minecraft to come out. Oh, and this is:

1:Awesome
    2:Awesome
    3:Awesome       Hint: Choose Awesome.  :GoldBar:

Nomelas
    Nomelas

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:59 AM

im a bit confused, are you able to remove chunks completely so that it reloads and repopulates them the next time you log on? I tried "delete blocks" and "delete entities" options but im unsure if it worked

Edit: nvm figured it out after i reloaded the program i was able to go to the chunk control option (seemed bugged the first time)