• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

What actually does stop the spiders? - Updated Again.

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

Thescorpi0n

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

Since there has been alot of rumors lately about what spiders can climb on and on what they can't, I made a vid showing the 6 most talked about solutions.
It also is a redo of my first video, since people were saying I used a texture pack, which i didn't though.
Anyway, this shows which rumors are true, and which aren't.

SXTn_lNvBuk

Edit : New updated video, with some of the stuff you guys suggested.

GC8959uvEE0

2nd Edit : Another new video is online! have fun watching it!.

5ru8G866KkA

Posted Image

duartel said:

Monkah_Boy said:

DimMyXx said:

Cool.
Story.
Bro.

Register or log in to remove.

bleachisback

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

Hope you don't have as many haters this time. And btw, spiders have always been able to climb ladders, along with sheep, chickens, squid, cows, creepers, skeletons, zombies, and slimes.

Piejacker875
  • Minecraft: Piejacker875

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

Everyone probably knows by now, but I suppose this will help the morons. =)
See my "About Me" page. Signatures are now way too restrictive. I'm an oompa loompa. 20% more chocolate than you.

Humby
    Humby

Carpenter

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

Have you tried seeing if they can go up walls where the first layer of the wall is bare, but the second or third layer has something on it?

Like this (side view):

:chestfront:  :chestfront:
:chestfront:

Where  :chestfront:  = ladder (or sign, or torch, or whatever).

chalackd

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

I thought that the whole rumor about ladders stopping spiders had to do with the ladders being only at the top of the wall, so the spider would have to start climbing the wall then hit the ladder and get stuck.  From my testing this particular method did seem to work.

Build a 4 block high wall, put the ladders only around the top row, and re-test.

Putting ladders right to the ground defeats the whole point of the test in the first place, spiders have always climbed proper ladders, along with all other mobs.
Steam?  The only steam I see is emanating from that pile of crap slapped onto so many good games nowadays.

If your penis looks anything like a creeper I suggest you go see a doctor about it, something's definitely wrong!

Nimbull
    Nimbull

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1189 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

Any block object sticking out of the wall will stop em. This includes fencing.

(Side)

:(  :Diamond:
:Diamond:  :Spider:  - *Bonk* Ouch!
:cobblestone:
:cobblestone:
:grass:  :grass:

Now since Spiders are two blocks wide you can stagger the objects like so.

(Top)

:cobblestone:  []  :cobblestone:  []
:cobblestone:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:  :cobblestone:
Posted Image

Thescorpi0n

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

Humby said:

Have you tried seeing if they can go up walls where the first layer of the wall is bare, but the second or third layer has something on it?

Like this (side view):

:P  :(
:(

Where  :(  = ladder (or sign, or torch, or whatever).

Oh I didn't know it was like that, I may try it tomorow :D.

Posted Image

duartel said:

Monkah_Boy said:

DimMyXx said:

Cool.
Story.
Bro.

WiseGuy57

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

I've heard (not seen) that Spiders can get over a ledge under certain circumstances- they won't crawl upside down, but the can jump out and up, and then land on the side of the ledge (like in some games with a wall jumping feature that ignore the laws of physics).

Mr_Pirate12321

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

chalackd said:

I thought that the whole rumor about ladders stopping spiders had to do with the ladders being only at the top of the wall, so the spider would have to start climbing the wall then hit the ladder and get stuck.  From my testing this particular method did seem to work.

Build a 4 block high wall, put the ladders only around the top row, and re-test.

Putting ladders right to the ground defeats the whole point of the test in the first place, spiders have always climbed proper ladders, along with all other mobs.

Yeah, this is true.
Off topic: What's so bad with Steam?
Posted Image

bleachisback

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

Mr_Pirate12321 said:

chalackd said:

Yeah, this is true.
Where'd Steam come in from?

MeltingData

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

I think the best way to stop spiders is a roof.

Thescorpi0n

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

bleachisback said:

Mr_Pirate12321 said:

chalackd said:

Yeah, this is true.
Where'd Steam come in from?

after 15 minutes I figured out he was talking about chalackd's sig, lol.

Posted Image

duartel said:

Monkah_Boy said:

DimMyXx said:

Cool.
Story.
Bro.

Zaburam
    Zaburam

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Minecraft: Grand Admiral Luxor III

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

:mossystone:  :mossystone:
[]  :mossystone:
[]  :mossystone:
:mossystone:  :mossystone: :mossystone:

:mossystone:
Posted Image

chalackd

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

Mr_Pirate12321 said:

chalackd said:

Yeah, this is true.

Referring to my comments on Steam in my sig, to those who were wondering.

My problem with it is how it's forced onto a person so often, even when buying games from a "brick and mortar" store.  My hate for it first started a few years ago when I was still stuck on dial-up internet, with no other options because I don't live in a city.  I bought a retail boxed copy of Lost Planet and brought it home, installed it, and then was presented with the fact that Steam required me to patch the game to the latest version before I could activate offline mode.  Ever tried downloading an 800+Mb patch on dial-up with no pause/resume capability?  Kind of defeated the point of buying single player games to play with a lack of internet in the first place...

Nowadays I've learned to live with Steam a little bit, I still curse and swear when I'm forced to install the Steam client onto my computer with a retail purchased game, but there isn't really any other choice in many cases.  But even recently my Steam-hate was rejuvenated when I went to play Fallout:NV and my Steam client had been accidentally connected...  Without further warning I was stuck in a patch download process that broke my game until it was complete, and which took *TWO DAYS* to complete because the Steam servers were all bogged down with all the recent holiday sales.

If it wasn't forced upon me in the first place, or still wasn't forced so much as a bullshit DRM strategy (Which only serves to make it a hassle to play your legitimately purchased games, the pirate players never even have to see this crap) then I wouldn't have a problem with it.  Even through my hate skewed vision I can still see the many advantages that Steam does present, but damn, don't force me to use it.  /rant

Aaand, back onto the actual topic...

I don't really get where the interpretation came from that spiders couldn't climb ladders at all came from in the first place.  All the first topics that I've seen relating to this presented it in a manner that seemed to imply that the mechanic behind ladders/signs/pictures/torches stopping spiders was that they acted similar to a ledge when the spider was already attached to the underlying wall.  I can't speak to the effectiveness of signs, pictures, or torches though, I've heard mention that pictures work, but can be shot down by Skellys.  And from what I understand torches and signs are non-solid to start with and thus shouldn't work.

I've only tested with ladders so far myself, after watching the video posted here.  Otherwise I've been busy lately with a building project and had peaceful turned on, but that's not going to last much longer...
Steam?  The only steam I see is emanating from that pile of crap slapped onto so many good games nowadays.

If your penis looks anything like a creeper I suggest you go see a doctor about it, something's definitely wrong!

Thescorpi0n

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

BTW, just want to add this.
If you're going to make a ledge like that, it's better to make a 3 high wall, and then a ledge instead of the 2 high you saw in the video.
on 2 high ledges, they can still manage to jump on the ledge.

Posted Image

duartel said:

Monkah_Boy said:

DimMyXx said:

Cool.
Story.
Bro.

Gremlinator

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

Excellent and scientific test, unlike other people. Good to see that someone actually tests things out.

Posted Image

Ignnis
    Ignnis

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

Ive seen billions of threads of this :/ But suggested before:
:iapprove:  :Notch:
[]  :Notch:
:Notch:  :Notch:  :Notch:
or
  [] :Notch:  :Notch:  :Notch:  :Notch:  :Notch:
  [] :Notch:  []  []  []  :Notch:
  :Notch: :Notch:  []  []   :Notch:   :Notch:
You'll just have to put up with the annoying squeaking noises D: But I highly suggest No.1 because in No.2 they can and will jump you upon exit of your house.

[simg]http://i3.photobucke...ox/LexaeusH.png[/simg]
"Ha..ha..ha ha ha, mwaha..ha ha ha,la..la..la la la..we want his Leather Pants!.."
[Zombie]  
[|] [Leaves]

bukojuko

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

make a wall thats 4 high and put ladders on the top block all the way around and test that

3 high might work but 4 high is probably better

:)  :|:  - Ladder
:iapprove:  :(  - (Bonk ?)
:D
:stone:

Joshman1306

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:07 AM

why not just kill the spiders that are annoying you?
I have the best signature ever!

scoop75
    scoop75

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

i use this....
[]  []  []  []   :Orange:  :Orange:  []
:Orange:  :Orange:  :Orange:  :Orange:  :Green:  :Green:  []  
[]  []  []  []  :Green:  []  []
[]  []  []  []   :Green:    :P   []
:)  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow: :Yellow:  :Yellow: :Orange:  :Orange: