• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How to get to the Overworld if you forgot a linkbook (Mystcraft).

mystcraft

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

valliant12
  • Minecraft: valliant12

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

Now, you've just landed in your flat mushroom-biome Mystcraft age. HOORAY! Time to place down your linkbook and stand.

Posted Image

Except for one slight problem...you forgot your linking book to the Overworld!

Posted Image

Do not fret. I have a way to get back to the Overworld. First you'll need a program that can edit .dat files. I recommend NBTExplorer as it is the program used in this guide. NBTEdit, what NBTExplorer is based off, is also an excellent choice and should work with this guide as well. Also hack if you have SPC, NEI, TMI, etc. installed, yourself a linkbook.

Once the program's downloaded open the ZIP with an archiving tool such as 7zip or WinRAR (I recommend 7zip because it doesn't have annoying windows that pop up when you use it) and copy the files to their own folder. Then open the program.

Posted Image

Now, if the program can't find your .minecraft or the location is wrong you'll need to tell it where to look. To do that, click File > Open Folder and locate the saves folder. For instance, mine is "C:\MultiMC\instances\Modded\.minecraft\saves". Expand the folder with your world name then level.dat > Data > Player > Inventory. You will see a lot of "4 entries" and hopefully some saying "5 entries" or higher. Open the one(s) saying "5 entries"

Posted Image

The one(s) that say id: 457 like in the picture above are the ones we want. Open the tag folder and double-click AgeUID. Change it to 0. If you want, you can also change the name to Overworld or something else. Now click save, fire up Minecraft and use that book to return home. I hope you had a compass with you!

Thanks for reading! This was my first guide so do comment about how it could be improved, and PLEASE tell if it worked for you - it did for me but I may have missed something or just got lucky.
"Do not turn this invitation down. It has been said that petting the tummy of a kitten is like frolicking in the back hair of an angle" - theoatmeal.com

Register or log in to remove.

maximaximal

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Thank you sir! You saved my day Posted Image
EDIT: And I have to say that you did your guide very well. I liked the bold text and the pics. The only problem I had: When I was back in the overworld, I spawned ~25 blocks in the sky and hit the ground deadly, BUT that's not your problem ;)

valliant12
  • Minecraft: valliant12

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

View Postmaximaximal, on 19 July 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

Thank you sir! You saved my day Posted Image
EDIT: And I have to say that you did your guide very well. I liked the bold text and the pics. The only problem I had: When I was back in the overworld, I spawned ~25 blocks in the sky and hit the ground deadly, BUT that's not your problem Posted Image

Actually, I believe you can stop that, there may be a way to change the spawn coordinates in the tag folder.
"Do not turn this invitation down. It has been said that petting the tummy of a kitten is like frolicking in the back hair of an angle" - theoatmeal.com

discodancepant

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:16 AM

Dude i was about to be ridiculously frustrated .. i was stuck in a useless mushroom world. Thanks for this. I did everything right. I brought a linking book, but not a stand. I went back to the overworld to get something and thinking the linking book would still be there i went back ... annd it was magically gone.

cello1993

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

Dude! This sounds awesome but I got a big problem x_x

There are simply NO entries under "Inventory". I'm pretty sure I got everything right, went to the level.data of the world I was just playing, then Player, then Inventory but it's empty hahaha so now I'm really fucked eh?

Veovis Muad'dib

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Since this comes up as a result in Google, may I suggest the real way to do this?

Legitimate:
=-=-=-=-=-=
Find an age with a Star Fissure in it, find the Fissure within a few chunks of spawn, fall through.

Cheating:
=-=-=-=-=-=
Cheats Enabled:
/tpx 0

No "Cheats" but access to Creative mode through NEI or the like:
Spawn notebook while in creative.  (The check is for creative mode, not whether you crafted it or not.)  The notebook contains all symbols, including Star Fissures.

No NBT editing or anything like that.
I do stuff.

Ages of Mystcraft - Symbols released!  New symbols for Mystcraft!
Now working on Ages of Mystcraft - Tech and Ages of Mystcraft - Journals.

AustinMacQ

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

My good Sir...... You have just saved me so much time. :-(o): <------ for you

WTFFFS
    WTFFFS

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

Another non-legitimate way is to use MCedit to move player. I have used this when due to me being basically damn stupid I ended up in an age with no book and no supplies at all ..... a void age lol

Veovis Muad'dib

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

How is MCEdit easier than /tpx 0 or spawning a creative notebook?
I do stuff.

minecraftnut

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

EDIT: Just read about the star fissure, so nvm.

Veovis Muad'dib

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

Makes me wonder why people criticize things they aren't up to speed about.

EDIT: Never mind saw edit.
I do stuff.

bobaganousch

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

You could just make a twilight portal and then go to the twilight and teleport back since twilight portals only every take you to the overworld :P

TheChipiron

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

please, help!!
yesterday i was in my new age when i died and lost my linking book, so you know. i get stucked there
then i found this fabulous guide, and ive already installed and launched correctly NBTExplorer to solve this, but anyone of my 5 entries folders has ID:457!!!
any idea??

Platoonsgt1
  • Minecraft: Platoonsgt1

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

Couldn't you just "/tpx 0 0 70 0"?

Edit: Didn't read all the comments in detail...
You probably won't have to define the co-ords of your destination.
I agree with "/tpx 0"
I like to help with the construction of server infrastructure, such as spawn buildings, shops and arenas. If you require assistance, send me a PM.
My Server: No Plugins, Amplified, Snapshot Server

Veovis Muad'dib

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:24 AM

Legitimate:
=-=-=-=-=-=
Find an age with a Star Fissure in it, find the Fissure within a few chunks of spawn, fall through.

Cheating:
=-=-=-=-=-=
Cheats Enabled:
/tpx 0

NOTE: Cheats can be temporarily enabled in any singleplayer save simply by opening the game to LAN.

No "Cheats" but access to Creative mode through NEI or the like:
Spawn notebook while in creative.  (The check is for creative mode, not whether you crafted it or not.)  The notebook contains all symbols, including Star Fissures.

No NBT editing or anything like that.
I do stuff.

Hoag
    Hoag

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

Hi Valliant, thanks a lot for the tip. Saved my bum after my bro played on my account and forgot to bring a linking book (the dumb ***)

Anyway, since I wasn´t carrying anything in my inventory thinking that just getting myself killed would bring me back I had a bit of a problem following your exact guidelines. Fortunately, we found a workaround I thought might be interesting.

Follow your entire guide until: level.dat > Data > Player > Inventory.

Instead of going to Inventory check the Player folder for a Dimension value. Should be the number of the age you travelled to.

Set this to 1 and save, then relog and you should respawn right in your own age after getting a little sneak peak at the End.

AnonTheMouse

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

As Veovis has said, there are several ways to do this without an editor.
  • If you have the resources, you can make books and look for a Star Fissure.
  • If you have access to Creative Mode, you can give yourself a book with all the symbols and make and Age with a Star Fissure. (This does require Creative Mode).
  • If you can use commands, you can enter "/tpx 0" to instantly return to the Overworld (technically, you could also use /tpx with a different number to go to other Ages).
  • If you have no resources, but still want getting home to take some effort, "/myst-create" and "/myst-agebook" can be used to try and get a world that does have resources.
  • Similar to the above, "/myst-agebook" plus a dimension number can give you a linking book back to an already-created Age.

Check out my 5 Rules of Game Design!
Posted Image

Veovis Muad'dib

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

Don't forget that if you're in SSP and you don't have commands, you can open the game to lan to temporarily enable them.
I do stuff.

GodScarab
  • Minecraft: DreeNzO

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

Another thing you can do is download MCedit (just search on google) and then you can pick a dimension to travel to, one of the dimensions is the overworld.

Veovis Muad'dib

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

I don't understand why people keep searching for convoluted ways to do this, when I've already given the absolute simplest ways possible above.

If you find an easier solution than what I've posted I'm all ears, but downloading an external application is just overkill...
I do stuff.