• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft HD

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Civilnotice

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

So I've been tossing this idea around on /v/ for a while, and they seem to be mostly in favour of it and suggested that I make a thread here to showcase the work I've been doing. We all love Minecraft's 16x16 style, but who would be in favour of a "Minecraft HD", with current-gen graphics?

I'm not saying this is possible, and I'm not saying that it should be done, but just as a hypothetical situation, do you like the idea? Below are a few mock-ups of what I believe Minecraft HD might look like.

Scenes:
Peering into a cave, torch in hand.
Deep inside the cave, light waning.

Models (not yet implemented into a scene):
Creeper

Register or log in to remove.

N3X15
    N3X15

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

Java would choke on this, as it has memory limits.  It'd have to be C# or (more likely) C++, although I'd prefer C# since it would be easier to port to other platforms.

MineEdit :: Snow :: VoxelSim

Stereo
    Stereo

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

Awesome, man. I'd murder for someone to make this real. But, like N3X15 said, Java can't handle it.
This may seem like a signature, but don't be fooled.

It IS a signature.

Civilnotice

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

N3X15 said:

Java would choke on this, as it has memory limits.  It'd have to be C# or (more likely) C++, although I'd prefer C# since it would be easier to port to other platforms.
That's been the main discussion/argument among us so far. Many don't believe it would be possible at all, even on the most well-optimized game engines, because of the scale of the world.

NateTheGreatt

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

Civilnotice said:

N3X15 said:

That's been the main discussion/argument among us so far. Many don't believe it would be possible at all, even on the most well-optimized game engines, because of the scale of the world.

Definitely wouldn't be on Java. A new engine would have to be developed for it in some C-based language.
"It's kind of like a testosterone-fuelled Harvest Moon in this regard, only you don't shear sheep to make clothes, you PUNCH THEIR GODDAMN WOOL OFF."

- Niall Slater, Minecraft and Emergent Storytelling

Isuress
    Isuress

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:12 PM

You make me cream my pants Civil =D
Lol, I'm the guy that suggested for you to make the thread and that bumped the OP's picture.

I hope people move the convo here though, there's quite the discussion going on =o

Civilnotice

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

Isuress said:

Lol, I'm the guy that suggested for you to make the thread and that bumped the OP's picture.

I hope people move the convo here though, there's quite the discussion going on =o
I think if they moved the conversation here, they'd get the thread shut down from greentext and butthurt.

Isuress
    Isuress

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

Civilnotice said:

Isuress said:

I think if they moved the conversation here, they'd get the thread shut down from greentext and butthurt.

Lmao, quite possibly. Though they're really going at it  :/  . Well, they were afew minutes ago. The conversation seems to have died down quite abit unfortunately. Mostly people arguing about how Java isn't a good language and then the lovers of the language rise up and then it just goes back and forth.

But it really should be understood that if a project like this were to take place, Java would be, in no way involved  :?  . It really wouldn't be able to perform this, I mean without little to no FPS.

Positivity LOVE the idea though. Hopefully Notch gives some input, lol.

CoreyHelms

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

Civilnotice said:

Isuress said:

Hopefully they don't bring it here, except for the select few who were rational in that post. (This is the OP by the way.)

TheYeIIowDucK

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:22 PM

Notch: "Hey, Java, do this" *shows these pictures
Java: "Okay! Just a sec-- AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! MY GUTS!!! MY MEMORY!!! AHHHHH!"
Notch: Ō_ō
Posted Image

Isuress
    Isuress

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:26 PM

TheYeIIowDucK said:

Notch: "Hey, Java, do this" *shows these pictures
Java: "Okay! Just a sec-- AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! MY GUTS!!! MY MEMORY!!! AHHHHH!"
Notch: Ō_ō

I enjoyed this interpretation of the actual events that would take place during the birth of this project.
No sarcasm :P

kizzycocoa
  • Minecraft: kizzycocoa

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

PLEASE do a creeper HD model!  :shock:

Eavan
    Eavan

Carpenter

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

N3X15 said:

That is an odd statement, as the textures and geometry of the scenes are stored in high performance video memory. All that is stored in your RAM is a reference to the texture, which is a tiny 4 byte integer.

In short: This would not change the amount of RAM Minecraft uses.

Zuriki
    Zuriki

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • 5317 posts
  • Minecraft: gdscei

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

...could do it in Unity...

virulentRant

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:09 PM

Eavan said:

N3X15 said:

That is an odd statement, as the textures and geometry of the scenes are stored in high performance video memory. All that is stored in your RAM is a reference to the texture, which is a tiny 4 byte integer.

In short: This would not change the amount of RAM Minecraft uses.
I'm glad someone brought this up.

The big issue, as far as I can tell, would be the issue of processing.

Imagine these graphics on an infdev map, and you'd see the problem, especially if it were turning to night or day.

Otherwise, I would want this.

It would be extremely silly, but that's another reason why I want it.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Alphasoldier

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

You just made my day YellowDuck
Posted Image

DrPayne666

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

Can you make more pictures of these scenarios? They look really cool!

ShadowDusk

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:40 PM

I love this :P

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
All Hail the Tail
Posted Image

2nd place in the neko logo competition: Cardgame Well done enjoy your prize.

Skillkills
    Skillkills

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1157 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

Zuriki said:

...could do it in Unity...
Not too bad of an Idea, I would do it if I knew how to work Unity....
Posted Image

NuclearDemon said:

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary.
Those who do.
And those that don't.

HeadHunter67 said:

"I'd like to sssssssspeak to you about Jeeesssussssss...."

Theonlydoh2 said:

Rain, rain, go away,
THAT'S WHAT ALL THE HATERS SAY.

Zachariasmith
  • Minecraft: Zachariasmith

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:20 PM

I kinda like the idea but I detest the style in that screen shot.
This text is just here to take up space. Congratulations. You found it!-Zachariasmith