• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[MOD]SSP Terrain generation bugfix

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Damoklesz

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:59 AM

Currently the terrain generation algorithm is bugged, most likely in several ways. There was a solution for probably the most serious one at http://getsatisfacti..._scrambled_mess, so I've implemented it. I wouldn't really call this a real mod, because it's just switching two variables in the code, but you have to install it, like any other mod (overwriting the exisiting class file in minecraft.jar). The credit for finding the bug goes to jmlsteele, who btw has a legit patcher that fixes SMP terrain generation. I searched, but I couldn't find any other mod, that could do this fix for SSP. If there is any, this post is obviously redundant and I've just wasted a hour of my time figuring out how to mod minecraft.

I tested it on a new map. I walked around a bit before saving this image.

Original:
Posted Image

I deleted all the chunks using MC MapDeleter / Pine Tree Generator, then I installed this mod, and walked a bit around the same area again. The game automaticly regenerated the same chunks (the random seed for the map is still the same), but this time sand and grass became alligned.

Fixed:
Posted Image

As you can see this solution is probably not perfect. Most of the sand seems to be in the right place, but there are still a few wierd things around, that I'm just going to ignore. All I can say, that it's definetly better with this fix than without.

The fix only affects the terrain, while it's being generated, so it does nothing with your already existing save file. If you want to fix your world, that's already generated, then you can just download the Map Deleter I already mentioned. There you can manually select the bugged chunks, delete them, and after applying this fix, Minecraft should properly regenerate them as soon as you get close to the area in-game (not tested yet). You obviously lose anything you had in those chunks. Wierd things might also happen with trees growing around the edge of the deleted chunks.

This is made for Beta v1.2_01.

Download normal version

The BiomeTerrainMod already uses the rx.class file, without fixing this bug. I don't use that mod, but according to some people, the resulting terrain is still affected by this bug, so I fixed the same thing there too. Install this only after BiomeTerrainSSP06b.
Download BiomeTerrainMod version

Just to be safe, always back up everything! I'm not responsible for any damage you might think this mod caused. The normal one should be working OK though. I don't really care about BiomeTerrainMod, so I haven't tesed it, and probably never will. It might not even work at all.

Register or log in to remove.

thefrop
    thefrop

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:08 AM

oh wow. i will use this next time i make a map. but right now i have too much stuff on the map im using right now to risk anything.  

+1 to you sir. hopefully notch will see this and use it.
My mind is a scary place.

Timmysteve said:

Well, if everything is covered in semen, once you turn the blacklight on, it'll look like daytime 24/7.
Because of copious amounts of rooster sperm.

Cryect
    Cryect

Redstone Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:14 AM

Heh damn, I always thought it looked strange and now seeing it fixed its obvious just had the chunk coord directions flipped.  Would explain why I ran into the same issue when I was rewriting the terrain generation for my own stuff :-p  Just thought I had made a mistake.
Posted ImageYou're a lone commando tasked to destroy the Nazi Zombie Federation's dam.

Damoklesz

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:48 AM

thefrop said:

oh wow. i will use this next time i make a map. but right now i have too much stuff on the map im using right now to risk anything.  

+1 to you sir. hopefully notch will see this and use it.

This problem is already officially acknowledged for at least a month or so. Still, it hasn't been fixed. My guess is that the whole generation process is planned to be rewritten in the future, and that's why this hasn't been fixed. Or at least I hope there is some reasonable answer. But I grew tired of waiting, and like I said the solution was already available.

Krelos
    Krelos

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Minecraft: Krelos

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

Awesome to have, or at least see... It apparently conflicts with the terrain mod, since that is designed to work off the bugged file, I suppose, and so the fixed one causes it to crash. Rather ironic, in a way...
I thought you'd contracted a disease that gave you the same metabolism as an oak tree - Maggarg II
It heals all of your goddamn hearts! - kittensamurai
How would his arms and legs POOP backwards? - pontusedberg

Vishnaborg
    Vishnaborg

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1124 posts
  • Minecraft: vishnaborg

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for this. That bugged terrain was annoying.

just_dont_do_it

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

That's absolutely incredible, thank you sir!

4rz0
    4rz0

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Minecraft: 4rz0

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

Anyone here who wants to make a SMP fix out of that?
The only true way to play Minecraft is multiplayer!

4rz0
    4rz0

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Minecraft: 4rz0

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

[Edit]
The only true way to play Minecraft is multiplayer!

Ryushi
    Ryushi

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 972 posts
  • Minecraft: Ryushi

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

This is what bugs me about notch. We're fixing his stuff for him.

I swear, if he just let the modders do the debugging and testing, we'd be set.

Also, the terrain generator mod KIND OF fixes this. The "pimples" of scrambled chunks are smaller.
Click on the banner to visit the TF2 steam group
Posted Image

Damoklesz

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

4rz0 said:

http://minecraft.stfu.ca/patcher/

Damoklesz

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

Edited the original post with the BiomeTerrainMod version. Since I'm not going to test it, it would be nice if someone could tell if it's working or not.

huts98
    huts98

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:20 AM

Before:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image

Thanks

But I'm kind if annoyed that I deleted the chunk that had my cave house in it. :/ Though that has nothing to do with the fix, it was my own error.

mysticviperx

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:40 AM

can this be use, edited or written for smp? perty plz.

please dont respond "its for single player,derr" i know...i would like to know if it could be used to mod the server.jar files...

FlamingBrad

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:01 AM

Does this work for errors related to nether travel? Basically, I travelled far away in the nether, and when I came out there's huge walls of rock. If I delete the sharp wall chunks and use this, will it blend it so it looks right?

DRoseDARs
    DRoseDARs

Gold Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:19 AM

mysticviperx said:

can this be use, edited or written for smp? perty plz.

please dont respond "its for single player,derr" i know...i would like to know if it could be used to mod the server.jar files...

Derr, evidently you didn't bother reading the 4th sentence in the OP where he said, "The credit for finding the bug goes to jmlsteele, who btw has a legit patcher that fixes SMP terrain generation." You can find the link to it in the second sentence Damoklesz posted in the OP.

Damoklesz, thank you for doing this fix and bonus you attempted to do it for the BTM too.

Levy
    Levy

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Minecraft: Levy_Wilson

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

I. Love. You.

Epitaph64

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

More people need to know about this.

Kamokazi
    Kamokazi

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

Wow, this is great...we're actually generating new SMP maps now to find a new home and this will be awesome for it.  Thanks to you and jmsteele for doing this until Notch gets an official fix.

Aedda
    Aedda

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

Omg thank you so much, I had no idea how much this issue was bothering me until installing this. It is often said that there is no world as good as your first and for me this was true, every world since then has seemed off, tainted, unappealing, sometimes downright ugly. I had thought it was because they weren't the first world I had created. In reality I realize, it was because they looked wrong, chunks messed up all over the place, it destroyed the landscape entirely, it robbed the game of any and all visual appeal.

I installed your mod, intending to generate world after world looking for a good one. I got stuck on the first one I tried, it just seemed so perfect again. I have no desire to continue my other worlds now, this is my new home.

Thank you again, such a simple fix with such a profound effect.

-Aedda