• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Why does Bane of Arthropods even exist?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

algebraicAT333
  • Location: Wishing I was a dinosaur king at war with the fairy queen.
  • Minecraft: algebraicAT333

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

I enchant my diamond sword with 30 levels of experience.

Fire Aspect II. Okay, that's pretty cool.

Knockback II. Ooh, that's nice.

Looting II. I kinda wanted Looting III, but that's okay I guess.

Bane of Arthropods IV. Well, might as well throw this sword into the nearby lava pool.

What am I supposed to use this stupid thing for? It's only good against spiders, cave spiders, and silverfish. You only see spiders commonly because cave spiders are only in abandoned mineshafts and silverfish are only in strongholds. It is absolutely useless!

This is one of the points where I hate the random enchanting set-up, as well as getting Fortune II instead of Fortune III on a level 30 enchant.
Posted Image
Super Hostile maps I've completed: Spellbound Caves (Yeah, I pretty much suck.)

Register or log in to remove.

DontStealMyBacon
  • Minecraft: DontStealMyBacon

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:52 AM

I hate bane of anthropods too, but the trick is that it doesnt make your diamond sword any weaker. It might only help with fighting spiders, but it is still a standard diamond sword against anything else, so go hunt some creepers anyway.
Posted Image

algebraicAT333
  • Location: Wishing I was a dinosaur king at war with the fairy queen.
  • Minecraft: algebraicAT333

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

View PostDontStealMyBacon, on 13 July 2012 - 02:52 AM, said:

I hate bane of anthropods too, but the trick is that it doesnt make your diamond sword any weaker. It might only help with fighting spiders, but it is still a standard diamond sword against anything else, so go hunt some creepers anyway.

I know it doesn't make it any weaker, but it's not as good as, say, Sharpness. I would rather have Smite than stupid Bane of Arthropods.
Posted Image
Super Hostile maps I've completed: Spellbound Caves (Yeah, I pretty much suck.)

SpetS15
    SpetS15

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:12 AM

to piss you off of course, 50 levels of nothingness. I also got it in this video

xcadaverx

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

It exists because spiders exist. Some things are more useful per level, some are less useful. There are upsides and downsides. That's the nature of a gamble.

redsand
    redsand

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Minecraft: redsand007

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:02 AM

What cadaver said and because Mojang wanted to greatly agitate BdoubleO.  Posted Image

joman195
    joman195

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1261 posts
  • Minecraft: joman59

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:02 AM

I always keep one Bane of Arthropods sword in case I run into a cave spider spawner while mining.
Skal ~Joman195

Posted Image

Wik3dWarrior

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

yeaa thats so true i hate spiders!!

dragontyron
  • Minecraft: dragontyron

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

i would envy a sword with those enchants. so what if its got Bane of Arthropods? its still got fire aspect, knockback, AND looting. Bane of Arthropods just makes it all the more useful for those pesky cave spiders.
Posted Image

Spikeyroxas

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Well, i would prefer to take a sword with BoA enchantment to an abandoned mineshaft then one without.
especially on the harder difficulties

Charlie Brown

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

I keep BoA swords in a chest, so that when the sword I'm using is near broken I use it to disenchant a BoA sword. There's no big deal to that enchantment, except if you have like 3 or 4 cave spider spawners to disable. A BoA sword is an awsome help in that case. Other than that it's pretty much trash.

In single player I do the same with knockback swords, and in multiplayer I add smite into the trash chest.
Posted Image

KingBart

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

View Postredsand, on 13 July 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

What cadaver said and because Mojang wanted to greatly agitate BdoubleO.  Posted Image
This.

On a side note though, anyone else notice that it is next to impossible to get a level V enchantment in the snapshots. The only level V enchantment I got was Smite. No other enchants including the ones for tools, bows and armor, were level V. I even did some lengthy testing by going into a creative world and enchanting all enchant items with level 30 enchants. I filled a chest for each item, and yeah, only Smite reached level V with about a 1 in 60 chance of getting it. For swords, Bane of Arthropods and Knockback were close to a 1 in 3 chance for level IV. Oh, and for armor, it seems Fire Protection is by far the most common enchantment in 12w27a.

Charlie Brown

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

I believe some enchanting problems, including that one, were mentioned in the full bug list of one of the latest snapshots. So hopefully they will adress that.
Posted Image

bobri
    bobri

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1179 posts
  • Minecraft: bobri

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Just think, it s better than having an unenchanted diamond sword. Stop being such a spoilt brat.

No, it isn't butter, it is gold

Now that we have that sorted out, can you please leave, thanks?

MisterD70

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Its there because Notch was experimenting damage bonuses on mob specific weapons, and IMO its just another incomplete thought, just like the dragon boss and the "end" realm, and the Nether.

Ya know, things that Notch thought, Oh this could be cool, yawn, next.

fumifieder

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Bane of arthropods is useful.

Only in Vech's maps (and other maps of a similar style) because of the nature of the maps, where there are tons of cave spiders and what not.

But in actual survival, even on hard difficulty, it is very easy to defeat spiders.
The same goes for zombies and skeletons too, but you encounter them more often than spiders, so smite if more useful than BoA.
Jeb/Mojang should either make spiders harder or make them spawn more often.

Charlie Brown

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

View Postfumifieder, on 13 July 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

Jeb/Mojang should either make spiders harder or make them spawn more often.

As far as I know spiders have the same spawning rate as other regular mobs, the only thing that keeps them from spawning more often is the space they need to spawn (3x3x2), that hinders their spawning rates in caves, mines, etc. Raising the spawning rate probably wouldn't change much, changing the space required would. I would agree with that too. There's too few spiders everywhere, except on the surface. :\
Posted Image

Prettypinkdork

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

This is one of the many reasons I have the Superior Enchanting mod. Spiders are so freaking easy to kill anyway. What I really could use is a creeper specific enchant. At least that fills a need. Would be nice if said enchant also worked on Ghasts, even though swords aren't the best thing to kill ghasts with.
Under no circumstances do I want villagers building ugly little houses in my world. That's my job.
Posted Image

EyeOfTheDaev
  • Minecraft: dmcklveen

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

Because cave spiders.
Posted Image

fumifieder

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

View PostCharlie Brown, on 13 July 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

As far as I know spiders have the same spawning rate as other regular mobs, the only thing that keeps them from spawning more often is the space they need to spawn (3x3x2), that hinders their spawning rates in caves, mines, etc. Raising the spawning rate probably wouldn't change much, changing the space required would. I would agree with that too. There's too few spiders everywhere, except on the surface. :\

Maybe they should change it to 2x2x2. I know the reason why it is 3x3x2, but would it be possible to change it to 2x2x2?