Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Driving

driving car drivers license

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

socplayer

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

So i just got my Driver's permit today and I'm wondering how good of a driver I am. I only missed two on the test if that helps. Got any tips for me?

Register or log in to remove.

Schmoople
    Schmoople

Custom Title Fisher

• Members
  • 12338 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

That's really unspecific. I can't help you with that little information.

Derpcakes
    Derpcakes

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2283 posts
  • Xbox:P. C. Izbeter

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Driving is easy. Problem is knowing what people around you are going to do. You have to watch the road and people around you, because they can do something stupid at any time.
Research Threads: [1], [404], [404], [404]

Adam_B0MB
  • Minecraft: Adam_B0MB

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

Only 2 points off the Road Test is pretty good, but trust in the next couple of months you will see your driving getting worse. It is not that your getting bad at driving. It is just that you are getting more relaxed in your driving and not paying as close attention to the road. I know that is what happened to me at least. I don't know about you, but I'm guessing this happens to most people.

Posted Image

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Triple_X
    Triple_X

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1281 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

Make sure you have parallel parking down. It's one of those things that you try to persuade yourself you will never need to do, and yet, you will regret not learning it later on. Even more so if you live in the city.
You smell great.

Zeus
    Zeus

Traitor

• Retired Staff
  • 7958 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

Major fucking tip: Be courteous to others, not everything is about you.

solruki
    solruki

Carpenter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Minecraft: solruki

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

Real life driving and Mario Kart are totally different, keep that in mind.

Adam_B0MB
  • Minecraft: Adam_B0MB

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

View Postsolruki, on 09 July 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

Real life driving and Mario Kart are totally different, keep that in mind.

I totally agree unless real life driving was Mario Kart then i would disagree.

Posted Image

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Matt_t
    Matt_t

Carpenter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Minecraft: Matt_T

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

I just started driver's training and finally got behind the wheel on the second day. It was hard for me to comprehend that the car still moves at the same speed when you let go of the pedal; it doesn't slow down like in videogames. Also, I would slam the brake. I didn't quite know how much force to use.

_Myst
    _Myst

Retired Loompa

• Retired Staff
  • 8042 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

Before I took my driving test the instructor told me the test was impossible to fail, after I was finished with the test I was told I had almost failed.

:B

horahora~

Posted Image

socplayer

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:27 AM

Thanks for the advice. Got some driving in today around a parking lot which helped. The only thing that scares me is that im gonna be goin into a turn and hittin someone or braking too late and miss a turn or hit a car. Basically i'm scared of driving in traffic.

nerdypants

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:15 AM

View PostDerpcakes, on 09 July 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

Driving is easy. Problem is knowing what people around you are going to do. You have to watch the road and people around you, because they can do something stupid at any time.

This, this, this. Never assume other people are good drivers. I always drive under the assumption that everyone else on the road is both drunk and an idiot.

Lord_N
    Lord_N

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2541 posts
  • Minecraft: Lord_N

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:20 AM

I can offer some tips.

First of all, driving on the highway is far easier than it seems. It is very intimidating at first, but as long as you know what exit to get off at, you're fine.

Secondly, always assume that other drivers never know how to drive. This will save you some frustration over time.

Not everyone is going to follow every rule. It is not a big deal, as you will not either. Trust me, it happens over time.
Posted Image

_Myst
    _Myst

Retired Loompa

• Retired Staff
  • 8042 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:04 AM

Driving isn't hard, save for driving in big city traffic, it just can be dangerous.

You've got to keep your wits about you.

horahora~

Posted Image

Govna
    Govna

Enderman Ender

• Members
  • 9657 posts
  • Minecraft: OwnerGovna

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:14 AM

View PostDerpcakes, on 09 July 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

Driving is hard. Driving is the hardest thing most people will do.

You wanna know how hard it is? If you fuck up, you're either dead or injured.
Don't take driving lightly

\(・ω・\) Losing (/・ω・)/my mind

Mustache_Guy
  • Minecraft: McAngusYoung

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

Just remember...

Cyclists = 10pts
Pedestrians = 5pts
Cars = 30pts
Lucifer - "So you're willing to die for a pile of cockroaches? Why?"
Gabriel - "Because dad was right. They are better than us."
Lucifer - "They are broken, flawed, abortions!"
Gabriel - "Damn right they're flawed, but a lot of them try to do better."

JohnTheRipper

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

How would we know how good or bad your driving is?

However, since you just got your permit, I'd hazard a guess it's pretty horrible right now.
i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, Hyper 212 Evo, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, Z77X-UD5H, GTX 670 OC, 256GB 840 Pro, 2TB + 500GB HDDs, Fractal R4, HX750 (with bonus fan noise), Dell U2713HM.

Please read the rules!
Global | Discussion | MnM | Other Platforms | Servers | Support | SyC | Off Topic
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” — Albert Einstein
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." — Robert Heinlein

Posted Image

Zynilize
    Zynilize

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1698 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

View Postbattlekid, on 10 July 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

How would we know how good or bad your driving is?

However, since you just got your permit, I'd hazard a guess it's pretty horrible right now.

Not everyone is a bad driver after getting their permit.

Posted Image
KAWAII MONSTER

StalePhish
  • Minecraft: StalePhish

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostMatt_t, on 09 July 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

I just started driver's training and finally got behind the wheel on the second day. It was hard for me to comprehend that the car still moves at the same speed when you let go of the pedal; it doesn't slow down like in videogames. Also, I would slam the brake. I didn't quite know how much force to use.
Depends which video games you play. Most of the driving games I've played in the last few years are very realistic and thus don't lose much momentum when you take your foot off the pedal.
Also, just about every car is different in terms of pedals. Cars with bigger engines typically go much quicker with a tiny bit of movement where smaller engines require you to push down more. Same goes for braking: sporty cars or just newer brakes stop much quicker from just a little press than old worn out brakes.

View PostZynilize, on 10 July 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

Not everyone is a bad driver after getting their permit.
Especially in places where you don't need a permit! I'm from New Hampshire and anyone 18+ with enough luck can get their license without ever having been behind the wheel of a car before.
If you're 16-18 you need to have taken driver's ed, but still no permit required. Just logged experience with a parent in the passenger seat.

Acteon
    Acteon

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • Minecraft: Archon951

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

View Post_Myst, on 10 July 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

Before I took my driving test the instructor told me the test was impossible to fail, after I was finished with the test I was told I had almost failed.

:B

I had an 'instructor' just like this. Apparently I passed the actual driving portion by a single point.

Years down the line; I have yet to have a single accident or ticket and am by far the safest driver of anyone I know.
Funny how things turn out, no?

Posted Image