• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Nether Wart can now grow in the Overworld and the End in 12w27a ( With official response from Dinnerbone)

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

oCrapaCreeper
  • Minecraft: oCrapaCreeper

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:55 AM

Just thought I'd point that out.

Posted Image

No, this is not a bug:

View PostDinnerbone, on 09 July 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

It isn't a bug. It was our original intention to keep you coming back to the nether to get them, but for most people this just meant afking for half an hour while your stuff grows as it didn't grow while you were in the overworld. That's not what we want people to go the nether for! We'd rather you go there for an epic adventure with ponies and rainbows and stuff.

My idea for if this does become a balance issue somehow:
Spoiler:

Posted Image
Seriously. These "Achievement Get!" signatures were never funny, or interesting.

Register or log in to remove.

skinyWaffles

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

I was just about to post this. I personally think this is a great add-on to the game.
Posted Image Give Support to Original Dev

Ttzara
    Ttzara

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2015 posts
  • Minecraft: Tzarah

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:15 AM

Isnt a bug... ? cool!

It was a pain to be waiting ages in the nether for them to grow...

mrwormy
    mrwormy

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6711 posts
  • Minecraft: mrwormy

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:15 AM

I personally don't like it, But whatever.

Guess I don't have to idle in hell for my mass produced potions anymore.
"Only a few find the way, Some don't recognize it when they do. Some don't ever want to..." ~Cheshire cat.

Narkman2611

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:16 AM

Yay finally.
Posted Image

King Korihor

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:50 AM

View Postmrwormy, on 09 July 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

I personally don't like it, But whatever.

Guess I don't have to idle in hell for my mass produced potions anymore.

I hope this was a bug.  Requiring a Netherwart farm in the Nether seemed like one sure way to force players into actually going into the Nether every once in awhile to do something other than hunting zombie pigmen or fighting Ghasts.

This is also something I don't see on any list of official changes to the game.  That isn't the final word, but I do question if this was a good move.
Posted Image
Version 2.1 now updated for MC 1.6.2

Ttzara
    Ttzara

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2015 posts
  • Minecraft: Tzarah

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:57 AM

View PostKing Korihor, on 09 July 2012 - 02:50 AM, said:

I hope this was a bug.  Requiring a Netherwart farm in the Nether seemed like one sure way to force players into actually going into the Nether every once in awhile to do something other than hunting zombie pigmen or fighting Ghasts.

This is also something I don't see on any list of official changes to the game.  That isn't the final word, but I do question if this was a good move.

You still gotta go to the nether, find a fortress and get the netherwart... plus its ann annoyance when you have to stay on the nether doing nothing wile it grows... And if you do it, youll probably do it on the safety of your nether wart farm, its probably not going to be "unsafe" right?

allshamnowow911

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:03 AM

hallelujah, finally i dont have to go to nether just to grow my potions :P

s0lidlyksnak3
  • Minecraft: s0lidlyksnak3

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

Maybe they're waiting for the community to react before they call it an official change or bug haha

ralphierocks

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:19 AM

View PostTtzara, on 09 July 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

You still gotta go to the nether, find a fortress and get the netherwart... plus its ann annoyance when you have to stay on the nether doing nothing wile it grows... And if you do it, youll probably do it on the safety of your nether wart farm, its probably not going to be "unsafe" right?

I always stone in my netherwart farm, then leave the game while I go to work or to the store. It's so boring waiting for it to grow. I always thought it was pointless to make us sit there. I thought for sure that if you brought back some netherack with you and soul sand you could "emulate" the nethers environment and at least grow it that way, but it never happened. Seems like a good choice to finally add this feature.

King Korihor

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:32 AM

View PostTtzara, on 09 July 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

Having built Netherwart farms, the time it takes to wait for the stuff to grow is rather minor and mainly an issue with trying to get the first few growing.  Yes, waiting for one plant to grow (any plant for that matter) takes the patience of Job if you aren't doing anything else.  Try waiting for a tree to grow on a survival island map if you only have one sapling and no other tree or tools.

There are plenty of things to do in the Nether including building a zombie pigman trap/grinder or building up a base of operations where you can occasionally check back with the Netherwart if it is fully grown.  Once you get a fairly "large" farm (I built one with four stacks of soul sand) I was harvesting Netherwart as fast as I could plant it and had all of the Netherwart for all of the potions I could ever dream about making.  I've had wheat farms that were larger.  I started with just one piece of Netherwart to grow that farm too.  Simply excavating a spot in the Netherrack (since I built the farm inside a blob of Netherrack rather than on top) was enough time to have the Netherwart grow so it could be harvested and replanted.
Posted Image
Version 2.1 now updated for MC 1.6.2

DaveSW
    DaveSW

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

This is actually kind of pointless, as the Nether won't automatically unload anymore.  
It might need some chunk loader blocks, but meh.
I use the FTB modpack, because it's fun, and extremely convenient.

Bellaabzug21

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:40 AM

Yes, if it isn't a bug then I can make a toats legit warts farm in the ovie world. LOL. stereotypical teanage girl.
Beta Tester for Ars Magica and creator of Soaryn's Ascended. Check it out! https://plus.google....155226270671480

Prettypinkdork

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

Oh please oh please oh please oh please don't be a bug.
Under no circumstances do I want villagers building ugly little houses in my world. That's my job.
Posted Image

Windy
    Windy

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Minecraft: Windy_Fantab

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

I hope it isn't a bug as well. There's nothing I hate more than AFK'ing to babysit crops.
Wait, you're gonna what in my what?

JPLafreniere1

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

Yea, honestly, anything that makes my potion production faster BETTER NOT be a bug.

Dinnerbone
  • Minecraft: Dinnerbone

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

It isn't a bug. It was our original intention to keep you coming back to the nether to get them, but for most people this just meant afking for half an hour while your stuff grows as it didn't grow while you were in the overworld. That's not what we want people to go the nether for! We'd rather you go there for an epic adventure with ponies and rainbows and stuff.
Foreverabone

DanFifteenX
  • Minecraft: DanFifteenX
  • Xbox:Dan4TeenX

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

Thanks! :) I hate AFKing in the Nether.

Posted Image

MineCrak
    MineCrak

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4130 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

That's not what we want people to go the nether for! We'd rather you go there for an epic adventure with ponies and rainbows and stuff.

VERIFIED!!

Nether will have Ponies, Rainbows, and Stuff added! Posted Image

And by "Stuff" we can reasonably assume "Leprechauns" are also being added, you know, since Rainbows are being added. But since it's the Nether they'll probably be like this.

Thanks for the heads up Dinnerbone! Posted Image Posted Image

Flenken
    Flenken

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

Not leprechauns, oh no... it's much worse than that...

Zombie Carebears.
Posted Image