Latest News Article

How does creative mode work?

when it arrives

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

AlexNukem

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Noob question.

How does creative mode work?Would i be able to just load my current world,then switch to creative and add/do whatever i want,then save it?

So rather than go through all the time and expensive of collecting materials legitimately now,i could just wait till the 1.8 update and make my desired world (town) quicker and easier?

I downloaded the game when it came out,however i decided within a week to stop playing until the 1.8 update arrives regardless of creative.Im not going to put time and effort into a world that probably wont be able to generate 1.8 bioms due to the fact id discovered/built on the majority of the land.But anyway thats a diff story.

Thanks for any help with my original question anyway

Register or log in to remove.

Wumbologist

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

View PostAlexNukem, on 08 July 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

How does creative mode work?Would i be able to just load my current world,then switch to creative and add/do whatever i want,then save it?

No. When starting a new world/save you are prompted with the option to go in to Survival or Creative mode. Once chosen, you cannot switch to the other mode in that specific world/save.
Posted Image

Lord_of_Womba

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

View PostOneWumbologist, on 08 July 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

No. When starting a new world/save you are prompted with the option to go in to Survival or Creative mode. Once chosen, you cannot switch to the other mode in that specific world/save.

I'm really hoping you'll be able to make a 1-way conversion from survival to creative so I can play creative on a current world.

Wumbologist

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostLord_of_Womba, on 08 July 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

I'm really hoping you'll be able to make a 1-way conversion from survival to creative so I can play creative on a current world.
Hopefully, however the main problem is that it can effect leaderboard scores/stats, even if they did make it so while in creative mode it wouldn't count toward your scores. One can simply just spawn a diamond sword, go back to survival mode, and start killing mobs from there (thus boosting him/herself up in kill stats).

I personally don't care about the leaderboards, but others do.
Posted Image

AlexNukem

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

So in a creative world,i wouldnt have enemys,pigs,sheeps,cows,wolfs etc?

Wumbologist

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

View PostAlexNukem, on 08 July 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

So in a creative world,i wouldnt have enemys,pigs,sheeps,cows,wolfs etc?
Creative mode does not effect the game's difficulty settings. You still would have pigs, sheep, cows, all the passive mobs regardless of what difficulty you are playing on. However, if you're playing on peaceful, then yes, hostile mobs will not spawn.
Posted Image

AlexNukem

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

View PostOneWumbologist, on 08 July 2012 - 10:12 PM, said:

Creative mode does not effect the game's difficulty settings. You still would have pigs, sheep, cows, all the passive mobs regardless of what difficulty you are playing on. However, if you're playing on peaceful, then yes, hostile mobs will not spawn.

So could you explain the difference between survival and creative other than the fact that in creative i have an editing tool (if you could call it that)?

Once again,thanks for help

Wumbologist

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

View PostAlexNukem, on 08 July 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

So could you explain the difference between survival and creative other than the fact that in creative i have an editing tool (if you could call it that)?

Once again,thanks for help
Survival mode is, well, you already know what it is.

Creative mode gives you an entirely new inventory containing every item and block in the game with unlimited amounts of each one. You break things instantly and can fly (I'm going to assume you're going to activate flight by double tapping the "A" button).

And no problem, always happy to help.
Posted Image

Lord_of_Womba

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostOneWumbologist, on 08 July 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Hopefully, however the main problem is that it can effect leaderboard scores/stats, even if they did make it so while in creative mode it wouldn't count toward your scores. One can simply just spawn a diamond sword, go back to survival mode, and start killing mobs from there (thus boosting him/herself up in kill stats).

I think you misunderstood what I meant. In castle miner z the way it worked is you had your normal world and from the main menu you could go to it and convert it to a creative world, once you did that you could never play that world in normal again. If its like that you can't ever use creative to boost your survival world since you can't go back.

jimmy0341
  • Minecraft: [email protected]
  • Xbox:bostonmobb0341

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostOneWumbologist, on 08 July 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

I'm glad they're not allowing Creative mode into the Leaderboards because that wouldn't be fair to the people that actually do kill mobs,do their own mining/resource gathering, and build their creations w/limited resources. I said before and just so you know I'm not knocking anyone that enjoys creative mode but to me it seems very very boring and takes the fun out of the whole MC experience

Posted Image

AlexNukem

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

View PostOneWumbologist, on 08 July 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

Survival mode is, well, you already know what it is.

Creative mode gives you an entirely new inventory containing every item and block in the game with unlimited amounts of each one. You break things instantly and can fly (I'm going to assume you're going to activate flight by double tapping the "A" button).

And no problem, always happy to help.

Yes so basically theres no difference between the 2 modes apart from the fact i have an unlimited inventory in one of them?

jimmy0341

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostAlexNukem, on 08 July 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

Yes so basically theres no difference between the 2 modes apart from the fact i have an unlimited inventory in one of them?
And Im not too sure but i thought in creative that mobs can't hurt you(I could be wrong but i thought I saw a video for PC Creative and mobs didn't attack at all)

Posted Image

Wumbologist

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

View PostLord_of_Womba, on 08 July 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

I think you misunderstood what I meant. In castle miner z the way it worked is you had your normal world and from the main menu you could go to it and convert it to a creative world, once you did that you could never play that world in normal again. If its like that you can't ever use creative to boost your survival world since you can't go back.
Ah, I see what you mean now. I suppose that can happen, but we'll just to wait and see.

View Postjimmy0341, on 08 July 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

I'm glad they're not allowing Creative mode into the Leaderboards because that wouldn't be fair to the people that actually do kill mobs,do their own mining/resource gathering, and build their creations w/limited resources. I said before and just so you know I'm not knocking anyone that enjoys creative mode but to me it seems very very boring and takes the fun out of the whole MC experience
I prefer survival over creative as well. However the main purpose of creative mode is for people who just strictly wanna build, and there are quite a few. Minecraft was originally created as a build only game, there was no survival mode way back then. Just a creative like mode.

View PostAlexNukem, on 08 July 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

Basically yes. Brief summary of creative mode:

- New inventory including every item/block in the game with an unlimited amount of each one
- Flying
- Instant block breaking (one hit with the fist)
- Invincibility (you take no damage what so ever)
- Hostile mobs are not attracted to you unless provoked

It's like a strictly build only mode.

View Postjimmy0341, on 08 July 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

And Im not too sure but i thought in creative that mobs can't hurt you(I could be wrong but i thought I saw a video for PC Creative and mobs didn't attack at all)
This too, forgot about that. Added it to the list.
Posted Image

jimmy0341

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostOneWumbologist, on 08 July 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

Ah, I see what you mean now. I suppose that can happen, but we'll just to wait and see.

I prefer survival over creative as well. However the main purpose of creative mode is for people who just strictly wanna build, and there are quite a few. Minecraft was originally created as a build only game, there was no survival mode way back then. Just a creative like mode.

Basically yes. Brief summary of creative mode:

- New inventory including every item/block in the game with an unlimited amount of each one
- Flying
- Instant block breaking (one hit with the fist)
- Invincibility (you take no damage what so ever)
- Hostile mobs are not attracted to you unless provoked

It's like a strictly build only mode.

This too, forgot about that. Added it to the list.
I'm glad I got the invincibility part right(would've felt like an ass if i was wrong) also I had no idea MC started out as a strictly building game. That's crazy that they only added in Survival mode later. Glad to see another Survival mode fan too

Posted Image

x_SMIFFYY

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

View Postjimmy0341, on 08 July 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

I'm glad I got the invincibility part right(would've felt like an ass if i was wrong) also I had no idea MC started out as a strictly building game. That's crazy that they only added in Survival mode later. Glad to see another Survival mode fan too

Survival is the reason me and my friends take pride in our world tbh.

It sounds incredibly sad to say, But I take pride in knowing what I made is legit, I mean, I go on PC Creative to look at ideas or whatnot, almost like a planning stage, but everything I actually build is made from 100% hard work and gathering
Posted Image
Click to see me? :D - If you FR me, Message me as well, Otherwise I'll ignore it.

AlexNukem

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

Ahh thats a shame.

Id of liked to have been able to build say a small town in creative then switch it over to survival mode.Even if it meant i would be able to switch said world back to creative.

Oh well guess il wait n see.Theres plenty of other things to look forward to in 1.8 i guess

FuguFish89

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

I don't know why everyone keeps saying the same things about creative mode. "It ruins half the fun." Blah blah blah. Like the same thing everyone says about dupers. They do not care about the fun in mining/resource gathering. They like to build and create. It doesn't lessen the game, it's just a different aspect of it. And no, I don't dupe.

I would like for us to be able to switch back and forth between creative and survival even though I know on the PC you can only do it with cheats enabled (or at least that's how it was brought in). I've seen people make some really cool worlds on creative and then use them for survival. People can make hunger games maps quicker and all of that stuff. As far as the leaderboards go, I don't think it would be hard for them to make it so in creative mode nothing adds to your totals (that's how they'll need to make it either way). And as far as making a diamond sword in creative then switching to survival and using it to rack up kills, I'm going to assume that most anyone who is anywhere decent on the leaderboard can find 2 diamonds within an hour of starting a world. If they can't, they won't be high up the leaderboard anyways. So what I'm saying is if you wanted to up your kill stats, it's not much of a difference. I'm pretty high up on the leaderboard in everything on hard, but I could really care less. Even if I did, it's not like it would change anything. All the leaderboard really shows you is who plays the game more and what they do in the game.

jimmy0341

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

View Postx_SMIFFYY, on 08 July 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

Survival is the reason me and my friends take pride in our world tbh.

It sounds incredibly sad to say, But I take pride in knowing what I made is legit, I mean, I go on PC Creative to look at ideas or whatnot, almost like a planning stage, but everything I actually build is made from 100% hard work and gathering

View PostFuguFish89, on 08 July 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

I don't know why everyone keeps saying the same things about creative mode. "It ruins half the fun." Blah blah blah. Like the same thing everyone says about dupers. They do not care about the fun in mining/resource gathering. They like to build and create. It doesn't lessen the game, it's just a different aspect of it. And no, I don't dupe.

I would like for us to be able to switch back and forth between creative and survival even though I know on the PC you can only do it with cheats enabled (or at least that's how it was brought in). I've seen people make some really cool worlds on creative and then use them for survival. People can make hunger games maps quicker and all of that stuff. As far as the leaderboards go, I don't think it would be hard for them to make it so in creative mode nothing adds to your totals (that's how they'll need to make it either way). And as far as making a diamond sword in creative then switching to survival and using it to rack up kills, I'm going to assume that most anyone who is anywhere decent on the leaderboard can find 2 diamonds within an hour of starting a world. If they can't, they won't be high up the leaderboard anyways. So what I'm saying is if you wanted to up your kill stats, it's not much of a difference. I'm pretty high up on the leaderboard in everything on hard, but I could really care less. Even if I did, it's not like it would change anything. All the leaderboard really shows you is who plays the game more and what they do in the game.
Me too. It does feel like honest hard earned work

View PostFuguFish89, on 08 July 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

I never really put Creative mode down nor the people who use it I just said(like most Survival fans) It's not for me. There's no challenge except to build. I like having mobs threatening your very existence and threatening your shelter and creations hence the survival aspect. if you like Creative mode then that's cool however me I'd take the hardcore survival over Creative anyday but like I said that's me that's what i look for in MC. And if you use the dupe glitch I won't knock you for it but I do feel the same way about duping just as I do about Creative. It's no fun. There's no challenge

Posted Image

comeoncomeoncomeon
  • Minecraft: tailsfan5000

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

I know this is out of topic but when 1.8 going to come out

Wumbologist

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

View Postcomeoncomeoncomeon, on 08 July 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

I know this is out of topic but when 1.8 going to come out
Not for a while. My guess would be sometime this fall.
Posted Image