• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Best Currency?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Live4TheDying

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

I've seen a lot of RPG servers on Xbox that have their own currency. It seems that almost every server has a different currency, ranging from paper to diamonds to redstone. I was just wondering which currency is the most effective because I am currently working on a town and would like to establish a simple yet solid system for trading.

Register or log in to remove.

Kholdstare
    Kholdstare

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4848 posts
  • Location: I could probably put an overused/bad joke here, but instead I put this when I should be telling the world my location.
  • Minecraft: Giygas924

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

If Xbox hasn't updated to 1.7.3, slimeballs have no use so it's the most ideal item for currency.

Except that it's a pain in the butt to get...

Posted ImageDid something happen to you in your childhood to give you this unreasonable fear of rutabaga?Posted Image‚Äč

Live4TheDying

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

Thank you.

The_Lizard_Rad

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

use sugar cane, paper, books
3 SugarC=1Paper
1Paper=1Book

Just make sure people dont have a giant farm growing of it so they get rich easily

x_SMIFFYY

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

If you block the nether, Use netherrack. Sell glowstone and soul sand in your own shop.
Posted Image
Click to see me? :D - If you FR me, Message me as well, Otherwise I'll ignore it.

Divest
    Divest

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Xbox:xDivest

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

Use whatever you want to use. On my server, we use paper. There's no fool proof currency despite people's claims that one form of currency is better than another.

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die."

Live4TheDying

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

How much paper should I start the town out with, then?

x_SMIFFYY

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

View PostLive4TheDying, on 08 July 2012 - 12:40 AM, said:

Depends how much stuff is gunna cost really...

I don't see the point in having a currency myself. Me and my friends just help each other out if needed
Posted Image
Click to see me? :D - If you FR me, Message me as well, Otherwise I'll ignore it.

Divest
    Divest

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

View PostLive4TheDying, on 08 July 2012 - 12:40 AM, said:

The best thing to do is do some research and find out what values you want to assign your currency. For my server, our currency is more or less backed by a "diamond standard" meaning that for all the money that's printed, it can be backed by diamonds. We issue out 8 paper per diamond, 4 for gold, and hardly anything for iron. We keep all the paper in a bank and people can either get paid for doing jobs or turning in ore. That's it.

View Postx_SMIFFYY, on 08 July 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

I don't see the point in having a currency myself. Me and my friends just help each other out if needed

There isn't a "point" to currency just like there isn't a "point" to Minecraft itself.

Live4TheDying

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

I didn't really want to have a currency in my world but a lot of people feel that there needs to be. Peer pressure wins again :P

TheCreeperApocalypse

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

Use snow balls, they require a good shovel to dig lots of them, never run out, and can be turned into snow for storage. Just make sure you have a snow biome far from your city so getting rich is not easy
Proof Guy: "Pics or it didn't happen"

Divest
    Divest

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

The only reason I don't like using snow is because of how easy it is to get it. You might as well use dirt as your currency if you're going to make it that easy to get. The reason I like paper is because we can have our guards search the city for sugar cane farms and I've already searched most of the map for sugar cane so it's not easily accessible. I record most transactions and that makes it more difficult for the dupers to get away with duping. We've caught about 5 dupers so far.

LegitimateBlitz

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

I think paper is the best currency. Has anyone tried using eggs as a currency? i mean animals despawn so its very hard to farm chickens. On top of that it's hard to lure them in to traps.
Like Gaming? Head over to my Channel to watch me play!
Posted Image

TheCreeperApocalypse

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:34 AM

Eggs would be impossible to collect enough.
Proof Guy: "Pics or it didn't happen"

Rocky5
    Rocky5

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Minecraft: JCRocky5
  • Xbox:Connxtion

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

Redstone, it's not easily obtainable & looks nice :)

MCX360 Video Tutorials = http://tiny.cc/5a02iw/

JDawgMillenium

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

I use the Bullion-Credit system, comprised of Iron and Gold being translated into credits. I am too lazy to retype the information, so just look at some of my older posts to learn more about it. I know people with small villages think that a currency is pointless, but you have to make one when your city is going to be able to hold over 400 different people. :/

Hiz92
    Hiz92

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

View Postx_SMIFFYY, on 08 July 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

It's mostly an RP thing.
Posted Image

Live4TheDying

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thank you all for your advice :)

SuperGlenny

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Well, if you're going for a gold standard economy, then I think moss stone would be the way to go (assuming you don't dupe).  People may have to work to earn their moss stone in the beginning (from the host).  I personally have found that the game isn't really set up for a good currency.  Then again, it's up to the players to try and make anything work.  We just use the policy (you take something, you leave something).

AtomicSphincter

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

Cookies are the best currency!!  :D