Latest News Article

How to install Tekkit (for Dummies)

tekkit install how to server easy dummies

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Vivanewvegas
  • Minecraft: vivanewvegas

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

NOTE, this is for the Server only! Your clients must have the Technic Launcher installed to be able to join your server! For problems with the actual launcher, ask on the Technic Pack forums. They might just be able to help you out.

Posted Image

Over 30.000 views!! Posted Image

-- UPDATED: Nov. 22 2012 --

-- Works with Tekkit 3.1.3 --

Tekkit is just great! You get really awesome stuff which makes the Bukkit server software even more awesome!

Though that's cool, installing Tekkit may be a bit confusing if you're new to server administration or because the only thing that's keeping you awake is a cup of coffee.... (like me)
Anyway, let's get started!

Step 0, Can i actually run Tekkit?

Tekkit is waaay more CPU intensive and requires more RAM then your average Vanilla or Bukkit server. I suggest to have AT LEAST 1024 MB (1GB) of RAM. You could run Tekkit on less, but it would be laggy.

Step 1, Make sure you have Java 7

For those of you who didn't know, normal minecraft (and Bukkit) run Java 6 (the "standard" version), Tekkit however uses Java 7.
NOTE, if you're not hosting your server by yourself, make sure your host supports Tekkit, they might even be able to install it for you!
If you host your server yourself (or have root acces to your server) you'll need to install Java 7 (if you haven't already)
Go to this website to download: http://www.oracle.co...ds-1859576.html
I know, it's the developer kit, but that's what you're going to need.
Select your version based on OS.
Complete the installation (see oracle's site for instructions when needed)

Step 2, Get Tekkit!

Off course, we'll need to get Tekkit.
Go to this website: http://www.technicpack.net/tekkit/ and download tekkit.
Unzip the archive to the directory where you want the server to run from.

Step 3, Start the server

On Windows:
Run the "launch.bat" file (double click). Yes, it's that easy!

On Linux / OSX:
Open up the Terminal (under utilities on Mac). Then, execute the "launch.sh" file with ./launch.sh
So, for expample, if i have my server saved in a folder called "Tekkit" on my desktop, i would need to go into that folder first. So i would need to type "cd /home/vivanewvegas/desktop/Tekkit". Then, i just run the "launch.sh" file by typing: "./launch.sh"
Done!

For more information on the Linux / OSX terminal "commands" you can have a look here for Ubuntu and here for Mac OSX. Or just google them yourself!

Tips!
- On Linux and OSX you might need to start the server with the terminal. (open the terminal > cd [server directory] > sudo ./launch.sh). Be sure you did this and didn't forget "sudo". You might also need to make the file executable. In Ubuntu you can do this by right clicking, and checking the box for executable.
- On Linux, don't use WinSCP, i've heard multiple other saying it will mess up your server and cause lots of errors. Use FileZilla, works fine and i've never had problems with it.

Problems with Tekkit (Client) under OSX after Java update / installing Java JDK 7 ? , check reply No. 21!

CONGRATULATIONS! Your Tekkit server should now be running!

Got any questions or comments, leave 'em here!
Need help? Leave a reply!

Copyright 2012-2013, Vivanewvegas. All rights reserved. ( <-- Means you can't steal ma tutorial. Muahahaha Posted Image )
I recommend: Exodus hosting, a great host that offers excellent servers at some of the lowest prices out there!

Register or log in to remove.

NPcore
    NPcore

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Error: Could not find or load main class Tekkit.jar

Help me ?

Vivanewvegas

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

View PostNPcore, on 05 July 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

Error: Could not find or load main class Tekkit.jar

Help me ?
sure PM me your OS and i'll see if i can help
I recommend: Exodus hosting, a great host that offers excellent servers at some of the lowest prices out there!

NPcore
    NPcore

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

PMed. (:

NPcore
    NPcore

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Got it working, anyone who has the same problem, please do this:

Run CMD

Type cd

then cd "your directory"

then java –jar “Tekkit.jar”

whistelbaby

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

im kinda confused about step 3

HoboSam914

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

Every time I try to open the tekkit launcher, it says Can't find java directory I'm not sure what I have to do to make it work! Please help!

Vivanewvegas

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

View PostHoboSam914, on 02 September 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

Every time I try to open the tekkit launcher, it says Can't find java directory I'm not sure what I have to do to make it work! Please help!
The Tekkit Launcher as in the client or the "launch" file that comes with the server?

quinlan723
  • Minecraft: Quinlan_

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

watch this video if you need extra help...

MTHW10
    MTHW10

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Minecraft: MTHW10

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

I'm having this problem, i'm on a Mac, and when I installed Java 7, the server runs, but when it log into Tekkit using the Tekkit Launcher, a new window opens and it's called Tekkit, but then it turns white and closes. But I found out that if I run the server, put Java 6 on top of java 7 in Java Preferences, then run Tekkit, it works. For me, Tekkit doesn't want to run on Java 7. Please help. Thanks.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A quote from Albert Einstein.

Vivanewvegas

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

View PostMTHW10, on 10 September 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

I'm having this problem, i'm on a Mac, and when I installed Java 7, the server runs, but when it log into Tekkit using the Tekkit Launcher, a new window opens and it's called Tekkit, but then it turns white and closes. But I found out that if I run the server, put Java 6 on top of java 7 in Java Preferences, then run Tekkit, it works. For me, Tekkit doesn't want to run on Java 7. Please help. Thanks.
That's really strange.... Did you download java JDK 7 (yes, you need the JDK, not the JRE) from oracle? And are you running the version of Java 6 that comes with OSX (Snow Leopard and up, i believe)?
Have you tried re-installing Java 7?
Have you tried running software-update for OSX?

MTHW10
    MTHW10

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostVivanewvegas, on 11 September 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

That's really strange.... Did you download java JDK 7 (yes, you need the JDK, not the JRE) from oracle? And are you running the version of Java 6 that comes with OSX (Snow Leopard and up, i believe)?

Well I downloaded JDK 7, not 7u7, is that right? Yeah reinstalled, same problem. Yep, tried running software update, didn't workPosted Image.

P.S. I have Mountain Lion if that helps.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A quote from Albert Einstein.

Vivanewvegas

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

View PostMTHW10, on 14 September 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

Well I downloaded JDK 7, not 7u7, is that right? Yeah reinstalled, same problem. Yep, tried running software update, didn't workPosted Image.

P.S. I have Mountain Lion if that helps.

Well, last time i ran tekkit on my mac was on lion, worked fine with whatever java 7 JDK release it was. Also, a friend of mine says it runs fine on the Java that comes with OSX.
This might just be some kind of bug in mountain lion, i'll have a look on whether it runs on my mac (now mountain lion).
I'm sorry but really, i can't help you alot more than that. :(

MTHW10
    MTHW10

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

View PostVivanewvegas, on 15 September 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

Well, last time i ran tekkit on my mac was on lion, worked fine with whatever java 7 JDK release it was. Also, a friend of mine says it runs fine on the Java that comes with OSX.
This might just be some kind of bug in mountain lion, i'll have a look on whether it runs on my mac (now mountain lion).
I'm sorry but really, i can't help you alot more than that. Posted Image

Oh well, Thanks for trying :)

Electro522

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:01 AM

Perhaps you can help me Vivan. I've been searching the entire internet for a solution to this problem, but its seems like I'm the only one who has ever had it! When I try to install the Technic Launcher, I first get a box saying Are you sure you want to run this program?", I click yes, and then I get this small box up in the corner that says "Checking Launcher Version" with an empty loading bar. Its there for less than a second, and then it just dissappears, and absolutely nothing happens afterwards. No matter how times I try to install it, in any way I have found, it just does the same thing. Do you have any clue as to whats going on?

webrosc
    webrosc

Kitty Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 8041 posts
  • Minecraft: webrosc

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:58 AM

View PostElectro522, on 26 September 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:

Perhaps you can help me Vivan. I've been searching the entire internet for a solution to this problem, but its seems like I'm the only one who has ever had it! When I try to install the Technic Launcher, I first get a box saying Are you sure you want to run this program?", I click yes, and then I get this small box up in the corner that says "Checking Launcher Version" with an empty loading bar. Its there for less than a second, and then it just dissappears, and absolutely nothing happens afterwards. No matter how times I try to install it, in any way I have found, it just does the same thing. Do you have any clue as to whats going on?
you might have more luck posting here http://forums.technicpack.net/ as your issue is a problem relating to the actual launcher

hofma100
    hofma100

Diamond Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 777 posts
  • Minecraft: hofma100

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:54 AM

Very good tutorial, Thanks!

AlphaCloudDays

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Is there anywhere else that I can get Java 7? When I clicked on the link, it said that the webpage had expired.Posted Image

Vivanewvegas

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostAlphaCloudDays, on 08 October 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

Is there anywhere else that I can get Java 7? When I clicked on the link, it said that the webpage had expired.Posted Image
Ow, i'm sorry, didnt know that :S
Just google "Java JDK 7 oracle", but make sure you download it from Oracles website.
I'll fix the link later, thanks for letting me know :)

Iestyn
    Iestyn

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

View PostMTHW10, on 10 September 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

I'm having the exact same issue mate. When I was running version 6, Minecraft was working fine, although when I moved more than 10 steps it would freeze and I couldn't move, I'd have to tab out and tab back into the game then it would let me move 10 more steps then it would stop again, I'd have full control of my mouse, I'd just not be able to move, so then I presumed it would fix it if I upgraded to Java 7. Although when I did upgrade I started experiencing the issue that you are having.

View PostVivanewvegas, on 11 September 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

I've done all of those things but nothing seems to work. If I run version 6, I can't move around in Minecraft and if I upgrade to version 7, the launcher crashes constantly.