• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Copper in minecraft

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think adding copper into minecraft would be a good idea? (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think adding copper into minecraft would be a good idea?

1. Yes, do it now! (40 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. Yes, but I don't like some of the suggestions. (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

3. I wouldn't mind seeing it around. (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

4. No, it would be useless. (6 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

kingyoshi

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

COPPER IN MINECRAFT

EDIT #22, 21 jan 2011 4:36 PM
Thankyou all for the positive feedback and support! I'll try upload some pictures soon to make this thread soon. Please feel free to make suggestions. If you dislike my ideas, please leave a post so perhaps I can edit my idea to suit the community more.

Introduction
Minecraft is supposed to be about- as it's name suggests- mining and crafting. We're fine for crafting, but there aren't exactly that many ores around. Apart from gold and iron, there are no other metals in minecraft, which seems a little bit stupid to me.

Copper has been used for the past few millenia in the world, at one point it was so widely used an entire age was named after it- the bronze age. Why is it so useful? here are the properties:

>corrosion resistant
>conducts heat
>conducts electricity
>is stronger than wood and stone
>easily made into any shape
>commonly found around the world

It is these properties that make it one of the most widely used elements in the world. So why not put it in minecraft?

Weapons and armour

Copper was used as armour and weapons due to its strength and its malleability. It is stronger than stone, but weaker than iron. So, copper weapons and armour seems like a good idea. Their strength would be almost as good as iron, but would be less durable. If notch plans on introducing metal arrowheads, copper arrowheads would be better than flint but not as good as iron for strength.

Cooking uses

Pans could be made out of copper bars like so:
:Leaves:  []  :Leaves:
:Leaves:  :White:  []
[]  []  []

Copper could be used for pans due to its good heat conductivity. Pans could be used to cook a variety of foods such as soup, rice or even vegetables (expanding on the idea of more foods for farming). Stoves could be added in as well instead of just putting food inside of a furnace.

Copper piping

Pipes could be very useful in minecraft. you could use them to irrigate your crops, create air locks for underwater bases and perhaps even be used to create a sprinkler system for your house in case of fire. valves could be made and attatched to redstone so you could control the flow of water remotely. pipes could be laid out like how railtracks are, so it would be easy to lay out. Piping would be very helpful in underwater bases- it could be used to drain water out instead of tediously filling up the room with blocks and resurfacing for air every 10 seconds by draining the water into a room/area of equal size.

A) copper pipe crafting-  :White: = copper bars.
:White:  :White:  :White:
[]  []  []
:White:  :White:  :White: (produces 6 pipes)

:White: copper valve-  :White: = copper pipe,  :White: = stick. Could be wired up with redstone so you could have all valve levers in a control room. Main uses of valves would be as mentioned, allowing you to get crops easier or for controlling which direction you want to go on a water slide/canal.
[]  :White:  []
[]  :White:  []

C) copper half pipe- Great if you plan to build aqueducts, water slides or boat launching platforms. crafts 1 half pipe (only one due to its size). Would also make water a more viable method of transport instead of minecarts, giving boats a bit more use.

[]  []  []
:White:  []  :White:
:White:  :White:  :White:

D) hidden pipes
Pipes could be hidden if the player doesn't want unsightly pipes spoiling their house, the natural landscape or perhaps if they are purposely hidden for player traps. It could be simply done by placing blocks down on top of where the piping is already, and if the player wants to access the pipe again, they simply destroy the block hiding it. (thanks to TwistedNerve for that, page 2)

E) Pressure valves
Pressure valves would create floodwater that creates infinite waters.

Further ideas

Boilers- heating water into boilers would make steam, which could be harnessed to create trains for minecarts or to simply make a pneumatic railway (jets of steam boost the minecart forwards) so minecarts can be powered without glitches. Steam could be used for powering boat propellers for larger boats (possibly coming out, notch is trialling :White:)
A) a boiler-  :White: = piping,  :Diamond: = furnace
[]  []  []
:White:  :Leaves:  :White:
[]  []  []

>credits to Hero 122 for this next part on electricity- Redstone users, this will help you too!
:White: =copper

(editing hero's idea slightly so it is easier to do) Copper wiring! Copper wires and redstone wires could both be used to conduct electricity. First you would need to turn a copper bar into copper wire, which would simply be done by putting a copper bar in the crafting square. You will get 4 per bar. Copper and redstone would not interact with each other so you would no longer have to deal with dead spaces. See the unofficial official bluestone thread for more information, I support their idea but I feel copper would make a more useful element to the game, as bluestone is more directed solely for hardcore redstone circuit users. Perhaps copper could have the ability to be placed vertically, allowing more complex circuits to be built.

(purely hero122's idea here)
[] [] []
[] [] []
:White: :White: :White:
Makes copper plates, that if charged, can deal .5 damage per second.

Gold plates could be made in a similar way that deal 1-2 damage per second seeing as it's a better conducter.

Whoa wait, steam power?

Yes, steam power in minecraft. This has been used in the past 300 or so years to fuel the industrial revolution. So my idea is that we could use this for more efficient, faster furnaces. It would come at the cost of requiring 2-3 times more coal than a normal furnace to be balanced. The furnace would have to be made up of several parts, as well as being linked to a boiler. An ingot run (1 block big) could also be created from sand so you could get 2 bars per ore. Another use would be higher speed minecart pushers- with 3 times the speed but 2 times the fuel consumption.

FAQ
Q. How can the player tell iron apart from copper?
A. Copper will be green, like it is found in real life. It is green because it is naturally found as copper oxide, just as how iron is brown as it has formed iron oxide
Q. Why do we need an entire new mineral? I mean ceramic/stone pipes could be made
A. I don't know about you guys, but my map generator spawns extremely low amounts of clay. It's rarer than diamond :/. There does need to be an entire new mineral as it is MINEcraft, and like I said earlier, there's only 2 actual metals.
(not really a question but people are getting annoyed now by this)
Q. STOP BUMPING!
A.I'm cutting down to 1 per 48 hours of 0 posts. I'm sorry.
Q. Can you get some images/signatures made for this?
A. If the forums will let me upload, yes. right now it's telling me the board quota is full :/
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

ThickestMocha

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:24 AM

as well, it would make sense for it to be used as electricity, because isnt wires made of copper?

kingyoshi

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

bump
Posted Image

Asger_Alan

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

this is a good idea :Red:

especially the piping :iapprove: a fountain would be so awesome :RedShroom:
Posted Image
You should hunt them too!

kingyoshi

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

bump
Posted Image

kingyoshi

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

bump
Posted Image

kingyoshi

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

Bump
Posted Image

hero122
    hero122

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • Minecraft: Hero122

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

I like this.
Here's an idea you may want to use.
so pure redstone dust, I assume, just has electricity jump from particle to particle. But, if you use wires, it can keep a solid current. aw ell as that, can also electricute others.
SO.
:P =copper

[]  []  []
:iapprove:  :iapprove:  :iapprove:
:P  :iapprove:  :iapprove:
That makes copper wire, and would makes electricity travel 30 blocks, as opposed to 15.

and then,

[]  []  []
  []  []  []
:iapprove:  :iapprove:  :iapprove:
Welp.

AntonioIII

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

I like this idea very much. Make some siggies for this
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Embrausre said:

If you have the time, place TNT under their floor, and have a random pressure plate in the middle of their floor.

Put a sign up over the plate that reads "Step on Me".

Lawl Festival.

kingyoshi

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

hero122 said:

I like this.
Here's an idea you may want to use.
so pure redstone dust, I assume, just has electricity jump from particle to particle. But, if you use wires, it can keep a solid current. aw ell as that, can also electricute others.
SO.
:Orange: =copper

[]  []  []
:wood:  :wood:  :wood:
:Orange:  :Orange:  :Orange:
That makes copper wire, and would makes electricity travel 30 blocks, as opposed to 15.

and then,

[]  []  []
  []  []  []
:Orange:  :Orange:  :Orange:

I like the idea of an electric trap, perhaps redstone should be involved to charge it, seeing as it gives off an electric charge when touched.
Posted Image

Spider Ghast

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

Should it turn green after a few Minecraft weeks of being a pipe/man made block?
Posted Image
Posted Image

I SUPPORT MY OWN IDEA OF THE HERCULES SUBMARINE.

kingyoshi

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

Spider Ghast said:

Should it turn green after a few Minecraft weeks of being a pipe/man made block?
That may annoy people if their pipes randomly turn green. I suggest that if copper is near water, it will turn green, and is found as a green ore whilst mining seeing as it naturally occurs that way. That way if people want a green tarnish on their metal so they can build lifelike statues of liberty, they can just put water on it. If they don't, then it won't tarnish unless they place it near or in water.
Posted Image

kingyoshi

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

Bump.
Posted Image

kingyoshi

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

Bump
Posted Image

kingyoshi

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

bump
Posted Image

TheTallBeverage

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

hero122 said:

[]  []  []
  []  []  []
:D  :Orange:  :Orange:
That's... genius. I'm in love with that idea.
Posted Image

"I want to genetically engineer a mammoth that is 2 feet tall and makes a WEH noise, I don't know why."

kingyoshi

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

I thought so too, so I put that up :P
Posted Image

kingyoshi

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

bump
Posted Image

kingyoshi

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

bump
Posted Image

Vaenn
    Vaenn

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

Love the idea! I think it should also replace the stone tool tier and the stone tools should move down to the wood tool tier. Always thought it was dumb to cut down a tree with a wood axe or mine STONE with a wood pick... Would make historical sense too. Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age could be replicated with current materials and the addition of copper/bronze. :DBlock:

Posted Image