• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Adding More RAM to Server??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

FXStrato

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:29 AM

Okay... my friend told me to add more RAM to the server we play on... and I have no idea how. I know it involves something with adding a command line to something... but thats all...
Can somone post a setp by-step instruction guide for me? I run a Windows 7 32-bit system.
I use the Minecraft_Server.exe to run my server.
How would I add more RAM to it? It runs 63 mb at 44%, and I think that's kinda low....
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Armitige
    Armitige

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

The Windows 7 PC is what you're using as your server? Or are you using a VPS? It sounds like he's telling you to add more physical RAM, which has nothing to do with commands. What's the issue that makes your friend think your server needs "more RAM"?
Posted Image

FXStrato

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:47 AM

He keeps telling me to add more RAM to the server... I think it might be phyiscal, but from what I'm hearing when I search it up is that there is something you can do to Java to make it allocate more RAM to Minecraft_Server wen playing.
Posted Image

seriosbrad
    seriosbrad

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 195 posts
  • Minecraft: seriosbrad

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

I posted this in another thread

seriosbrad said:

Try running the server using a .bat file and allocating more RAM to the Minecraft server.

- Create a .txt file, name it anything you want

- Put this inside of your new txt file it will allocated 2GB RAM to the server which should be more than enough.
@echo off
java -Xms2048M -Xmx2048M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
pause

- Save and exit

- Rename yourfile.txt to yourfile.bat

- Run yourfile.bat

If it's still laggy, go to speedtest.net and run the test while you are experiencing lag, and then post the result image here.

This same information is available basically everywhere ;)

FXStrato

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:33 AM

seriosbrad said:

I posted this in another thread

seriosbrad said:

Try running the server using a .bat file and allocating more RAM to the Minecraft server.

- Create a .txt file, name it anything you want

- Put this inside of your new txt file it will allocated 2GB RAM to the server which should be more than enough.
@echo off
java -Xms2048M -Xmx2048M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
pause

- Save and exit

- Rename yourfile.txt to yourfile.bat

this is what i was looking for... however, no one seems to have made it concise like you have.  :P

- Run yourfile.bat

If it's still laggy, go to speedtest.net and run the test while you are experiencing lag, and then post the result image here.

This same information is available basically everywhere :P

Posted Image

FXStrato

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:35 AM

As... one problem... I use the Minecraft_Server.exe... not the minecraft.jar file...
Posted Image

Hovertac
    Hovertac

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:55 AM

FXStrato said:

As... one problem... I use the Minecraft_Server.exe... not the minecraft.jar file...

Put this in the directory of your server.

http://www.minecraft...raft_server.jar

Shadowo4o9

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:02 AM

Seriosbrad... does windows automatically have a .bat file save? Also, what does that stand for.... (Sorry for being such a noob, but) also, does the file that you make have to be in the folder where all of the other server info is at? Thanks for the help

Shadowo4o9

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:34 AM

What kind of word processing software do I need to use to be able to save it as a batch file??? I've tried all of the ones I hae (word, notepad, wordpad) and none of them allow me to save as .bat ..... I'm so confused >.<

Franziskaner

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:45 AM

You can use regular windows note pad. Just select .bat from the list of file save types while you are in the save window.
Posted Image

Shadowo4o9

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:00 AM

I didn't have that as one of the save file types, so I did it manually... I had to save it as "yourfile.bat" as an MS-DOS save... So far, everything is working right :SSSS: I just have to see if my friends can play too.

THANK
YOU SO MUCH EVERYBODY!

FXStrato

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:24 AM

Okay. One last problem. I got the minecraft.jar for the server, but when I use the .bat file, it comes up with this:
Posted Image
I changed the amount in the code to @echo off
java -Xms1048M -Xmx1048M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
pause

and it works... but I have at least 3GB of RAM for my computer. How come it can't allocate at least 2GB for Minecraft Server when it runs? It won't let me go above 1500M or something around there. I should be able to allocate more RAM, am I correct?
Posted Image

Franziskaner

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:10 AM

Depends on the system and system usage... generally though... yes
Posted Image

Orcworm
    Orcworm

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2731 posts
  • Minecraft: Orcworm

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

Use Java 7, that fixed it for me as it would also cap at around 1500M.
Posted Image

FXStrato

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

Orcworm said:

Use Java 7, that fixed it for me as it would also cap at around 1500M.

Java 7 doesn't seem to be out for Windows. Only 6.  :Notch:
Posted Image

Orcworm
    Orcworm

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2731 posts
  • Minecraft: Orcworm

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=java+7+download

Literally the second link...
Posted Image

JexelD
    JexelD

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:23 AM

So, who is this "friend" of yours? He sounds pretty awesome.

JexelD
    JexelD

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:03 AM

FXStrato said:

Okay... my friend told me to add more RAM to the server we play on... and I have no idea how. I know it involves something with adding a command line to something... but thats all...
Can somone post a setp by-step instruction guide for me? I run a Windows 7 32-bit system.
How would I add more RAM to it? It runs 63 mb at 44%, and I think that's kinda low....

Umm... I was kidding about the command line.

: ./give RAM

FXStrato

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:39 AM

JexelD said:

FXStrato said:

Umm... I was kidding about the command line.

: ./give RAM

You and Soaring told me to add more RAM. He managed to use 2GB. I hope he isn't lying. OR else I'm going over there and kicking his a$$.
Posted Image

Taien
    Taien

Tree Puncher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:35 AM

In response to one of your questions, your system is probably already using a good chunk of your 3GB, so it would only be able to allocate the free memory, not the full amount.  Which if you are getting cut off around 1.5GB sounds right for Windows 7.