Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[Challenges] ♦Fantasy City Build♦

• Please log in to reply
2146 replies to this topic

megaJiynx
  • Minecraft: megaJiynx

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

You're right, dwarves are practical. BUT they do love they're gems, gold, and other such shiny things.  I was thinking in the lore for them, the glass would actually be a carved out gem for the trees to live in, because trees obviously wouldn't be able to live that far underground.  Maybe a peace offering from the elves or something in the past? Who knows.  Eventually, I want to write stories/history for all the towns and such I make.  For example, my Beginner's Challenge is actually a village where soldiers or heroes-to-be start their training, similar to a starting town in an RPG.

Anywho, I have a question regarding the rules: when each stage says to gather a certain amount of an item, is it as well as the previous stage?  Or in total?
Example:  Stage 2 of the Dwarf Challenge says to gather 16 TNT.  Would that be in total with Stage 1, making it 4 (stage 1) + 12 (stage 2) = 16?  Or 4 (stage 1) + 16 (stage 2) = 20 in total?

Register or log in to remove.

SheenaTiger

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Oh, we had that topic not to many pages ago... let me qoute the modified part of the first post regarding this topic :)

One thing about gathering requirements.

Say you need two stacks of wood for stage two, that means, WITH the stack of wood from stage one, you need to gather two more stacks, meaning you need three stacks of wood in total to meet the requirements, it does not mean that instead of one stack, you need two. It means gather two MORE stacks, for a total of three.

considering that one, I now know, my requirements fro Hobbits and egyptian have not been met, at least not in the collection-chests I placed just for them while my normal chests usually are overflowing with the needed stuff ^^;

Posted Image

Amazingsniper8

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

^What Sheena said :P
Fantasy City Build Team Leader - Want to apply?
PM Warlock274 or I for more information.

mewkeere
  • Minecraft: mewkeere

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostmegaJiynx, on 19 February 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

I want to write stories/history for all the towns and such I make.  For example, my Beginner's Challenge is actually a village where soldiers or heroes-to-be start their training, similar to a starting town in an RPG.

Ooh that makes me think, completing all the challenges in the same world =o  What a sprawling metropolis you'd have!

Posted Image Posted Image

megaJiynx

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

Okay!!  Thanks, yet again, Sheena.  I completely missed that post (if I was here for it?)

mewkeere - That is, indeed, what I'm doing. :)  My dwarf settlement (?) is about 200 blocks away from my beginner's challenge village thingy.

SheenaTiger

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

View Postmewkeere, on 20 February 2013 - 03:35 AM, said:

Ooh that makes me think, completing all the challenges in the same world =o  What a sprawling metropolis you'd have!

This is encouraged by the team... somewhere in the first halve (?) of the thread or even in the old one. It can be quite hard to accomplish though... Just think about sudden damage to the world due to ... well... whatever. Destroyed 2 worlds for me by now, making them rather unplayable and/or loosing the constructed stuff or at least parts to huge chunks of them.

You might even need to stick with one MC-version while a new one is tempting or mods you desperately need for your builds/world to function are not yet ready and deactivating them would lead to odd holes or missing resources/equipment/buildingmaterial. I guess all of us know what I am talking about.

On the other hand, if all works well... awesome!

Posted Image

Lungora.
    Lungora.

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Minecraft: lungora
  • Xbox:Lungora

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostSheenaTiger, on 20 February 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

This is encouraged by the team... somewhere in the first halve (?) of the thread or even in the old one. It can be quite hard to accomplish though... Just think about sudden damage to the world due to ... well... whatever. Destroyed 2 worlds for me by now, making them rather unplayable and/or loosing the constructed stuff or at least parts to huge chunks of them.

You might even need to stick with one MC-version while a new one is tempting or mods you desperately need for your builds/world to function are not yet ready and deactivating them would lead to odd holes or missing resources/equipment/buildingmaterial. I guess all of us know what I am talking about.

On the other hand, if all works well... awesome!

I know exactly, I am still tossing between the idea of using my mods and not being able to update to 1.5 almost immediately (With a texture pack), or going plain vanilla and having a slightly less "varied" time.
“One arrow alone can be easily broken but many arrows are indestructible.” -Genghis Khan

Amazingsniper8

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

I usually avoid mods because of updates, and also because I suck at installing them XD

SheenaTiger

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Anyway... I found a hicup in the advanced Challenge ^^

Discovered Oral Tradition
Discovery:
- You can now collect flowers.
- You can now make all dye.
- You can now dye armor.
- You can now dye wool.
Collect:
- 10 Cactus
- 10 Red Flowers
- 10 Yellow Flowers
Build:
- Small Hut with a chest containing flowers.
- Wheat Farm.
- Farmer's Hut near Farm.
- One House.

Discovered Herbal Science
Discovery:
- You can now harvest cactus.
- You can now cook cactus.
Collect:
- 16 Cactus
Build:
- Apothecary
- Two Houses

Lucky me was digging some dirt yesterday and thus just picking up the green stuff with those thorns while wondering what they could be good for Posted Image

Edit:
And I guess it might be a good idea to mention to leave some space for additional buildings when building the market square... mine is nearly completely surrounded by buildings by now and of course the fence I placed around it ^^ The Discovery of Market Owning will clearly force me to build a new one once I reach that stage Posted Image

Edit 2:
Made a bit of an analyses of the things to build throughout the whole advanced Challenge...
Altogether there are 148 structures to be build, this includes castles as well as a 5x5-farm for wheat or a small boat.

Now let's take a closer look at it:
- 49 houses were 3 have a given material (cobblestone, bricks and stone bricks) and therefore 46 have to be built with whatever you want/have available
- 15 Farms and 9 Farm huts (Farms include animals, Wheat and so on)
- at least 15 military buildings (including 2 types of walls, at least 4 Guard Towers - assuming there are only 4 corners - and a Testing ground for TNT)
- 4 different Vehicles (the wheel counted as one as well...)
- 60 Civil Buildings (at least 5 Market Stalls, Tents and the Farm-Huts included)

Those are the big numbers with a rough categorization... done just because I was curious as I wanted to know where I will end with just the bare minimum....

Collectible Item-Requirements to come as well ^^

Edit 3:
Aaaand done...

Counted together, there are 76 different things to collect, ranging from the most basic things like seeds or wood/logs to more interesting ones like Enchanting Table or Brewing Stand (in addition to those you place and use)

List follows in Spoiler to save some space as it is quite hard to highlight certain things.
I put things like wood and log together as well as minor hicups like "arrows" and "Arrows" or "Stone Brick" and "Stone Bricks"

Spoiler:

Edited by SheenaTiger, 20 February 2013 - 03:34 PM.

Posted Image

mewkeere

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Wow Thanks for compiling all that Sheena :D I really want to give the Advanced challenge ago but Im enjoying the group challenge atm. Also I think this would be better a solo or duo challenge, so I should wait it out :)

SheenaTiger

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

View Postmewkeere, on 20 February 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

Wow Thanks for compiling all that Sheena Posted Image I really want to give the Advanced challenge ago but Im enjoying the group challenge atm. Also I think this would be better a solo or duo challenge, so I should wait it out Posted Image

No problem *smiles*
Just all keep in mind, the numbers are the compiled amount for the current last stage of the advanced challenge. I might have miscounted at this or that point but I think they should not be far off. I could have listed each and every building as well, but really, for what reason aside of stretching the post?
Yet it is interesting to see, that I have outnumbered very few bits until now (compared to my own stage) because it is quite simply already rather timeconsuming just to meet the minimum goals, not to speak of doing much more.

Posted Image

mewkeere

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

No I think that's good. It gives a general sence of... "How much room will I foreseeably need here for this."

warlock274
  • Minecraft: warlock274

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

Wow Sheena, that was actually pretty awesome! xD And thanks for finding that cactus problem, I'll fix it right away.

Update:
- Fixed Cactus Problem
Fantasy City Build Team Co-leader - Want to apply?
PM Amazingsniper8 or I for more information.

Thyrllann
  • Minecraft: Thyrllann

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

And that's the basic requirements for the Dwarf Challenge finished (added some pics; http://imgur.com/a/OATul)

I'm not happy with a lot of the stuff I've built, so I'll go back and add some detail to a lot of stuff (reinforcing walls/decoration et cetera), but yeah. For the most part, done.

-----

Quick question: I'm thinking of doing the Elf Challenge next, and I was wondering if it would be okay to use the Twilight Forest mod for this? The Vanilla trees (incl. Large Jungle Trees) are pretty average to build stuff in (second house I ever built was a treehouse (pre beta 1.7, so no Jungles), and it was absolutely terrible Posted Image I might get the saplings for the trees legit, and then use Thaumcraft in creative to edit all the trees to use Vanilla blocks - the Wand of Equal Trade is awesome for building Posted Image

[Edit] I'll be adding to the album the things not already present, once I'm done making everything look good.
Angels are bright, though the brightest fell. Though all things foul would wear the brows of grace; Still grace must look so.
And by the way; Who is John Galt?

SheenaTiger

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

@Thyrllann
I would usggest Big Trees-Mod: http://www.minecraft...e-bwg3-patches/
It has pretty awesome trees spawning on it's own when getting into new chunks, but you can grow most of them yourself. Especially interesting, the "Hat Tree"-Variations as well as the oaks and maybe even the cypress.

I myself edited the configuration to make each tree a bit more tall and remove the roots. They are nice, but if you grow a custom tree it is creating roots as well and does remove other blocks, regardless of block-type.

Posted Image

Thyrllann
  • Minecraft: Thyrllann

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

View PostSheenaTiger, on 21 February 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

@Thyrllann
I would usggest Big Trees-Mod: http://www.minecraft...e-bwg3-patches/
It has pretty awesome trees spawning on it's own when getting into new chunks, but you can grow most of them yourself. Especially interesting, the "Hat Tree"-Variations as well as the oaks and maybe even the cypress.

I myself edited the configuration to make each tree a bit more tall and remove the roots. They are nice, but if you grow a custom tree it is creating roots as well and does remove other blocks, regardless of block-type.

Cheers, I'll give it a look. (You seem to know your way around mods that enhance, rather than just blatantly adding to Vanilla ;) TF is awesome, but some of the trees - as I've just found out - don't work well as Vanilla blocks :( )

Also, I popped onto the server, and did a little bit of patchwork repairs :) I didn't really get to see much of the city while I was on last time, so I just left the areas where I didn't know what went where, but the Barracks and the not-too-heavily-griefed houses are mostly fixed up.
Internet in NZ is really crappy, so I can't really play SMP, but I'll try to join when I can, at least until you guys get the repairs done :)
Angels are bright, though the brightest fell. Though all things foul would wear the brows of grace; Still grace must look so.
And by the way; Who is John Galt?

SheenaTiger

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Well thanks... I love to experiment with mods...some are really nice others not so much... and sad if one is not getting continued.

Posted Image

Amazingsniper8

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

@Thryllann, yeah we have gotten griefed quite a bit on the server XD Congratz on finishing the dwarf challenge!

SheenaTiger

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Yay! Ceremonial Burial done... I hope you guys are happy... lost somewhere around 40 Levels *sob*

https://plus.google....720265975833265

Posted Image

megaJiynx

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

@Thryllann - Thank you for helping with the grief repairs.  I've been on quite a few times now and people keep greifing :(  I hate people like that; what purpose does it serve to them?  Honestly.  Also, your dwarf city looks great!!

@Sheena - Thryll's right.  You're really good with mods.  Any advice where I can look at a tutorial of how to install them?  I can never figure it out (if my computer can even handle mods.. but I'd like to try!!)