• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Staple structures every survival map should have

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

BlackAct

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

Recently, I've been thinking about what features should be in the perfect infdev base.

Obviously things like a Storehouse and a Workshop are a necessity for any base, but what about a more complex stronghold?

Simple Structures

House
A simple structure just intended to supply a safe place to spend the night, away from the mobs outside.

Posted Image

Workshop
A workshop is where at least one permanent crafting table and furnace should be stationed (more if a certain aesthetic effect is desired). All tools will be crafted here, and all ores will be smelted here, so it should located somewhere that is easy to access in your settlement.

Posted Image

Storehouse
A storehouse is a small amount of useful items will be stored in case of emergency. It consists of just 1 or 2 large chests, containing things like 1 or 2 stacks of dirt, cobblestone, and wood. Some emergency stone tools are also stored here along with some food, in case of emergency.

Posted Image

Warehouse
This is where mass storage takes place. Basically a warehouse is a much larger storehouse, containing all of your more valuable, and larger quantity items (diamond, dirt, stone etc). It should be positioned in a safer and well guarded location, to stop the possibility of creepers destroying your chests.

Posted Image

Pantry
Usually you'll have a few chests full of pork and bread after you've gotten yourself established, and it's nice to keep it all in one place. Build a pantry, which is just like a storehouse only it's purpose is solely to house food.

Posted Image

Forge
A forge is a large group of furnaces, installed for the sole purpose of smelting large amounts of smooth stone at the same time. My personal forge usually consists of 10 furnaces, to cut down drastically on smelting time.

Posted Image

Mine
Many players simply strip mine to acquire stone and ores, but More intricate and personalised structures can be created. Just remember the purpose of a mine is to get ores and stone, so I wouldn't waste precious diamonds making pickaxes that will probably only fetch stone.

Posted Image

Beacons
Helpful to save yourself from getting lost. Simple structures that are well lit and usually point in the direction of your base.

Posted Image

Garden
With the addition of flowers and mushrooms to the game, why not harvest some and plant them together to make a kind of garden. Maybe add some saplings, but don't supply them with enough room to grow, that way, they will stay small and remain in-keeping with the size of all the other plants.

Complex Structures

Wheat Farm
Some form of crop growing area to supply a steady supply of food. It can either be above or below ground, so long as it is irrigated and well lit. Ideally walled, with a door, to prevent sheep and pigs from trampling your crops.

Posted Image

Tree Farm
Used to provide a steady supply of wood and saplings. Can also be above or below ground, just so long as it is supplied with plenty of light and growing space.

Posted Image

Treasure Vault
Hidden room used for storage of all things valuable. I usually hide mine in the bottom of a decorative fountain, so that it is hard to gain entrance accidentally.

Posted Image

Infinite Water Fountain
Supplies a constant amount of water pump tiles. Dig a 2x2x1 hole somewhere in your base and place water pump tiles on the diagonal corner blocks. Extract water from any block and it will always regenerate.

Posted Image

Lighthouse
A means of finding your base if ever you get lost. A thread about lighthouses can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14607

Posted Image

Mob Farm
A few types of mob farms have been made by the community. One uses a dark chamber to spawn mobs and then kills them with sunlight, delivering the drops with a water current, whereas the other drowns mobs instead. After The mob spawn rate is adjusted again (I'm encountering none at all at the moment) these could become very handy tools. They can be found at: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14982, viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14638 and viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15282

Posted Image

Lookout Post
Many lookout posts are just a really tall ladder to a platform around cloud level, but with a little work a more desirable appearance could easily be added. This could also be combined with your lighthouse to save on space.

Posted Image

Fortress
That crummy house you built right back at the start of your explorations must be getting boring now. It's time to replace it with a much larger fortress. Usually a fortress is much stronger than the initial house, and often comes complete with complex traps, and a maze of tunnels and staircases. Everyone's fortress' are different (mainly castles) so built it to your heart's desire.

Perimeter Wall
It would be a shame if all of these nice structures were destroyed by mobs or greifers, so why not protect it with a perimeter wall? It's simply a 3 or 4 block thick wall of cobblestone that encompasses all of the buildings in your base. If desired you could have underground paths to outside the wall, but make sure they are well hidden.

Posted Image

Subway
Tunnels under your territory that connect various structures like mines and lighthouses to a central hub. Build cart tracks in the tunnels along with mine carts and you have what is essentially an underground train system.

Train Yard
Effectively a meeting point for all cart tracks. Some tracks lead to various mines while other lead to building sites. Useful to combine roads and resource transport into the same structure.

Posted Image

Canals
Similar to a train yard but utilising water instead. Provides transport between different areas of your base.

Posted Image

Log Flue
A single channel of water down a purpose built path that leads from a forest up in the hills down to your base.

Trash Compactor
All those single blocks that you want to get rid of can now be disposed easily, just empty a bucket of lava into a trench in the floor and throw them in. Bye bye crummy blocks of gravel :coalore:

Posted Image

Renewable Cobblestone Factory
This one is a little more complicated than the others. It's purpose is to supply cobblestone, but without having to strip mine and scar the landscape. To construct a cobblestone factory you must first dig a 3x3 pit, and one level above the pit build a canal which will allow a lava spring block to flow into the 3x3 pit. Now, above the 3x3 pit you need to make a small ledge, which will allow a water spring block to flow over the lava in the pit, but DO NOT let the water spring block touch the lava spring block, or this will no longer be renewable. Once the lava and the water combine, you will have 9 cobblestone in the pit. Simply remove the spring blocks and mine the cobblestone, then rinse and repeat.

Posted Image

Dive Pools
A fast way to get down from that lookout post or maybe just a sheer cliff face is to built a dive pool at the bottom. A dive pool is just a 2 block deep pool of water that you land in when jumping from a great height, and come out unscathed!. I'd recommend making the dive pool at least a 3x3 square, so you don't miss, and make absolutely sure it's 2 blocks deep. If a dive pool is constructed on a snowy map, ensure it is surrounded by torches to prevent it from freezing over.

Drop Zones
A drop zone is similar to a dive pool, but dry. Its a few walls raised from the ground, with a 2 block wide gap in the middle. Place ladders on the raised walls, so that they face each other, and when you land in the 'drop zone' you are perfectly safe. Alternatively you could place the drop zone at the bottom of a 1x1 shaft into the earth, with a ladder just off the floor at the bottom. Just be sure to hold 'w' AWAY from the wall with the ladder on when dropping down the shaft and you'll be fine.

Pig Farm
With the pig spawning blocks you get in the dungeons, you could easily build an infinite bacon farm! Just build a sealed chamber and put a few spawn blocks in there. Every now and then jut wander in and slaughter a few for some meat. Maybe you put some saddles in there and have yourself a ranch :coalore:

Water Elevator
If your base has many floors and you don't want to spend time getting sticks for ladders, put in a man made water fall that flows between floors. Provided you make sure the water column ends in a 1 block deep trench at the bottom, there will be no flooding, and it will all stay neat and tidy.

Transcontinental Railroad
An above ground version of the subway. Build railroads that run between major landmarks on your map, like towns and cities. At each 'stop' build a station, complete with a platform and ticket office, so it has that real railroad appearance.

Archery Range
You need to practice those bow skills somewhere, so build yourself an archery range. Aim for the shooting range style of building, with a counter which you shoot over, to hit different targets of varying difficulty. Maybe add moving targets using minecarts, to really test yourself.

Game Reserve
Plant yourself a rather large forest, and insert some pig spawners in hidden locations (mainly just so they are out of sight, ugly little things aren't they?) so that your new forest is swarming with pigs. Now build a minecart circuit around this forest, maybe even through it if you're feeling adventurous, so that you have a track to ride on. Now mount up into your new cart, equipped with your bow and arrows, and ride around the forest shooting the pigs that are in there, just as though it was deer hunting, only with pigs instead :coalore:.

Papyrus Farm
A designated area designed for the sole purpose of growing papyrus, for making bookcase blocks. All that is required is dirt blocks, next to a water source. Any papyrus you plant here will grow to being three blocks tall, and then it will need harvesting.

Artificial Delta
An artificial delta is a man made structure, consisting of many canals in an area, with small patches of land in it. This land is best used for farming, as it is very well hydrated, and isn't really a pain to look at :coalore:

Library
Why not build yourself a library to house all of those fancy bookcase blocks you have? You might want to split it into sections, so that when it's possible to write on books, all similar information is kept in the same place. Keep it well lit, and it's a good idea to make it out of wood, as it's in-keeping with the bookcase blocks themselves.

Hiding Your Base

Underground Escape Route
One day, its likely that you will have to make a speedy escape from your base, be it to prevent death by mobs, or maybe to escape bandits in SMP. A hidden underground passage is always easy to build, and easy to hide. Just make sure both ends are sealed so that people cant get into your base without you knowing.

Moon Pool
This is for bases built by the ocean. A moon pool looks like this: http://www.lostisaga...1/moon_pool.jpg
It is essentially just an underwater entrance, that ends with you surfacing in a pool inside your base

Inverse Moon Pool
A single tile hole in the bottom of a lake. No light should escape from the hole. Use ladders and/or a door to defeat gravity and water physics. Connect to a tunnel system.

Waterfall Entrance
Place a few spring tiles of water somewhere above the entrance of your base. That way you have to go through the waterfall to gain entrance, and it is much harder to spot from outside.

Cavity Wall Paths
Try building the rooms of your fort with a one block thick gap between them. Invisible from the outside, this gap can be used to move around your base undetected, especially if you line the floor with sand or wool, to minimise the sound from your footsteps.

Aesthetics
Every self respecting mincrafter likes to build recreational structures that don't have a 'purpose' as such. These are just some ideas.

Art Gallery
With paintings being so easy to create an art gallery is a must. Just a simple display room with a bunch of different paintings in. I like to keep mine well lit to make it easy to see.

Posted Image

Swimming Pool
So easy to make now we have buckets to use. Simply take water from your infinite fountain, and create a cool swimming pool. For those who have access to lava, why not put a layer of lava at the bottom and cover it with glass then put the water in. That way you have a heated pool  :coalore:

Posted Image

Fireplace
Simply dig a small hole in your base (preferably a stone base of this is dangerous) and place a log in there. Set it on fire and there you go, you're own fireplace.

Posted Image

Temple
Wondered what to do with all those gold and iron bars you have? Why not make them into blocks and build a cool looking temple

Water Fountain
You may have an Inf Water Fountain, but after a long day of mining why not enjoy watching the water trickle down a Normal Water Fountain. Just make the base a hollow circle of any size(make sure its big enough so water doesn't fall on it and spill over) without any water in it and create however many layers you want the water to fall down. On the top layer place a water source and watch as you're water fountain comes to life. This can be combined with the infinite version, just make the base of it bigger.

Posted Image

Water Slide
Why not add some water park fun and create a water slide. Just create a pillar with a ladder on it however high you want the slide to be. Create each segment of the slide similar to how bowls and buckets are crafted. Once done, place a water spring at the top and if built correctly the water should only follow the bottom of the slide down. The slide isn't as fast as a real one but its something to bring your inner kid out.

Posted Image

Sewers
With flowing water, you could now make a sewer system under your base, which exits into a nearby lake. This could even be hooked up to a toilet, just for realism. If built correctly, miniblocks should flow from your toilet, outside to the exit by the lake.

Posted Image

Lodge
A lodge is built entirely for aesthetic reasons, and as a place to relax. Usually built out of wood (planks as the are easy to get, or logs for a better image) and have a wool floor (gives the impression of a carpet). Fill it with paintings and big glass windows to give it a calm image, and maybe add a cobblestone fireplace if you're feeling adventurous.

Eco-Dome
An underground area of your base shaped like a dome (based on the eden project biomes for any of you that have been) full of grass, trees, flowers, mushrooms, and maybe a stream. Just a place underground which houses a lot of above ground features.

Sundial
This is one of the most ingenious ideas I've seen thus far. It's a large structure that you have to position yourself in to get the sun/moon inside the circle on the roof. Depending where you stand on the bottom 'bridge', you'll be able to work out (roughly) the time of day/night. The pictures below may help explain this a little better.

Posted Image

Mountain Spa
This one requires a bit of a precise building location. First you have to find a mountain that goes up to the level of the clouds on the 'fancy' graphics setting. Now build a wooden lodge and install a small 'hot tub' in one of the rooms. Because of how high the spa is, you'll have the occasional cloud passing through your spa, and it will make it appear to be steamy, like a sauna!

Roller Coaster
Build your roller coaster out of mine cart track, and build a mine cart to ride on. There is a thread which discusses various games which could be played on minecarts, including jousting, which can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15035

Giant Tree
What is cooler than having your very own ridiculously large tree. You have to hand build it from log blocks, and then plant sapling on the 'branches' to give it leaves.

Auditorium
When multiplayer finally arrives, why not have an auditorium so you can speak to a large audience of clan members or just friends? A difficult structure to build, an auditorium is a quarter circle shape, that steadily gets higher the farther away you get.

Something else that may be helpful is a nice little 'circle chart' that was posted on this thread. There is a link to it here: http://i50.tinypic.com/2lj71c7.png

This is a combination of my opinion and your suggestions as to what a should go into a perfect base. If there's anything else you guys can think of that I haven't included, just let me know and if it's a good suggestion I'll add it in :coalore:

Feedback?

Ditherliss said:

But that's not what everyone wants. Everyone wants the Minecart to push itself and fly into outer space and have an attachable Microwave.

Register or log in to remove.

riverchen
    riverchen

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2287 posts
  • Minecraft: Riverchen

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

Tons of this stuff i never have, but are useful. I just have a small house, with a crafting table, furnaces, and big chests. And a mine and farm.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Made by AWOL42

BlackAct

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

I'm steadily trying to add all of these to one base, but I agree not all are needed, just helpful to have

Ditherliss said:

But that's not what everyone wants. Everyone wants the Minecart to push itself and fly into outer space and have an attachable Microwave.

Drury
    Drury

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1151 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:24 PM

You forgot to add mines or...
π = 8
Posted Image
(The first Minecraft Beta userbar, made 7 months before Beta)

Zuriki
    Zuriki

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • 5317 posts
  • Minecraft: gdscei

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

At the moment I have a neat little beach house nothing special. I have loads of meat stockpiled so I don't need a farm but I may add one later - and my mine is in a mountain but it goes down to the depths of the map (I was nearly pushed into lava by a zombie!!) it has some nice formations and 9 unmined diamond ores (just smelting some iron to go mine them now). I managed to salvage 35 iron ores from the mine as well, they were spread out a lot but it all adds up.

I will probably add a lighthouse incase I die, as it's quite a trek - easy to find but still a long walk.

One addition, and something I usually do if I'm building far away from my mine or exploring a lot. I have beacons, set a reasonable intervals. All the beacons have some sort of "pointer" that directs me towards my base. The beacon has a light inside of it - the light should be visible from all angles.

CMKMStephens

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

Your list does seem kind of utilitarian for actual crafting/multiplayer/survival. What do I have/what do I want? The good life  :D

- Libraries (contingent on bookshelf block)
- Art Galleries (check)
- Bathhouse (check)
- Length Pool (building...)
- Auditorium (check)
- Bar (Need a glass bottles block)

and so on :P

Some of the stuff you've mentioned I don't want because I'm subscribing to the hidden-under-water-base method, rather than the here's-my-base-come-get-me-sucka's method.

Conundrumer
  • Minecraft: Conundrumer

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

I normally never build any structures except for the most practical ones, like roads, bridges, mines, and lighthouses, and special structures. I'd place crafting tables and forges wherever I happen to be working on a project of any sort.
My Youtube channel.
Contains Pachebel's Canon made with noteblocks, a working Rubik's cube made with pistons, and the ultimate TNT cannon.

BlackAct

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:45 PM

CMKMStephens I love some of the stuff you've posted about on other threads, your auditorium is amazing.

I intended this thread as being a list of things that are 'useful' to aid gameplay, so I haven't added any fun stuff to the list really.

On my main world I have an extensive bridge that I built as a challenge to myself, but it's not useful.

Kind of hard to word that in a better way, hope it comes across alright :D

Ditherliss said:

TheYeIIowDucK

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

You forgot a train yard
A big structure full of tracks and storages. It's usually near the fortress or the warehouse. Some tracks lead to the mines, other to building sites, and some even to another base or an outpost.
Posted Image

BlackAct

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

I like the train yard idea, I'll add it in

Ditherliss said:

CMKMStephens

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

BlackAct said:

I intended this thread as being a list of things that are 'useful' to aid gameplay, so I haven't added any fun stuff to the list really.

In that case, as something *marginally* practical:

Log-flue - a single channel of water down a purpose built path that leads from a forest up in the hills down to your base. Goes with plaid-shirt lumberjack skin.

TheYeIIowDucK

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

BlackAct said:

I like the train yard idea, I'll add it in
:3

I'm right now build a giant castle in my world (after almost a whole Minecraft month i lived in a cave) and i'm adding a really nice train yard right now. I'll post a pic later
Posted Image

BlackAct

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

Good idea, I completely forgot about all kinds of canals that are available, I'll add it in.

Ditherliss said:

riverchen
    riverchen

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2287 posts
  • Minecraft: Riverchen

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

Need a waterfall over the entrance of your base.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Made by AWOL42

BlackAct

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:57 PM

riverchen said:

Need a waterfall over the entrance of your base.
Ill make a seperate section after complex structures that will be masking methods. I'll put this in there

Ditherliss said:

BigD145
    BigD145

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

The Inverse Moon Pool: single tile hole in the bottom of a lake. No light should escape from the hole. Use ladders and/or a door to defeat gravity and water physics. Connect to tunnel system.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

BlackAct

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

BigD145 said:

The Inverse Moon Pool: single tile hole in the bottom of a lake. No light should escape from the hole. Use ladders and/or a door to defeat gravity and water physics. Connect to tunnel system.

You want me to put this in the hiding your base section?

Ditherliss said:

Zaikantos

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

I´d guess so.

legosheep said:

Then he'll be able to program into real life. He'll program himself a violin, then a shotgun, then a nuke, then by lunchtime, HE'LL HAVE TAKEN OVER THE WORLD!!! Then tuesday he'll bring out a new mob..

Puke
    Puke

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Minecraft: Puke

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

This is a neat little guide.

BigD145
    BigD145

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

BlackAct said:

BigD145 said:

You want me to put this in the hiding your base section?

I would say yes. I built a little bolt hole under a floating island in a lake before the water physics and such were made. It was all water under this island and the shadow cast was quite dark. There was only one easy way to find the hole and I'm not telling what it is. :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image