Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Sheet music to Note blocks?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Smileynator

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

Hey guys!
I am having a bit of a problem here. After seeing the oh-so-mighty Still alive song with the minecraft note blocks..
i want to do stuff like that as well.

I found some sheet music of a local theme park, It is VERY basic, and should be shit easy to set up (right?)
http://i188.photobuc...romenadeJPG.jpg
This is the sheet music.
I managed to google my way as to reading the ''notes'' as they are. and i am sticking to the ''harp'' music so thats no problem.. what is my problem is timing.. it seems a bit off.
my set up is now per | line in the sheet music (every 3 notes that is..) i have 6 possible spots to make a sound (using !!1tick!! repeaters).. so my first 3 notes are now set as this: A _ _ A A _ instead of the normal A _ A _ A_
However this seems off.. it doesnt sound right at all. is there something i am missing?
Also, someone told me a few notes seem off. Can someone tell me why some notes do not sound like the ''dots'' i read on the sheet music? are there things i am obviously missing? (since i have no A# or B# notes or whatever in the whole song!)
I could really use some help on how best to time this with an average 120FPS (frames limited) to get the rythm and the notes just right, and so i in the future (and people who read this post in the future) can figure out how to convert simple sheet music to minecraft tunes!

Thanks in advantage, if i left info out, Please do tell me.
greets,
Smileynator

Register or log in to remove.

Taeila
    Taeila

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

I've been looking around on google and the forums for anything to help with this to. Right now I'm taking Jingle bells to noteblocks cause it was the first sheet music that had letters instead of just notes. Good luck in finding stuff. :grass:

bugi74
    bugi74

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

Remember that with Minecraft note blocks, you can affect the duration of a note, only the start timing. So you can not have half-notes, quarter notes, and what-you-want.. You just have one note type, but you can affect when they play.

For various tempos:

Since the basic tick in Minecraft is 20 ticks per second, and torches toggle only half that rate, the best rate you can get without reeeeaaallly messy stuff is 600bpm. Now this can of course be divided, taking every second, third, fourth, etc. beat.  And note that redstone torches themselves have severely limited maximum rate they can toggle before burning out; I haven't calculated it exactly, but around 75bpm.

So, you can have:
600 (need at least two redstone wires to handle this)

300 (every 2nd, maximum rate you can get from single redstone wire)

200 (every 3rd, can have triplets)

150 (every 4th, can be combined with 300; this is currently the most useful although quite fast temp; if these are 1/4 notes, you can have also 1/8 and 1/16 notes.)

120 (every 5th, but, while this is common tempo (1/4 notes) for many songs, you can not have even 1/8th notes with them!)

100 (every 6th; possible to use as 1/4 with 1/8s and triplets, but quite slow)

So, I recommend looking for songs with natural tempos near 100 or 150, or ones that would not sound silly if the tempo is changed to one of those. Also, remember to check that the range of notes isn't more than two octaves, or be prepared to do some fancy tricks or splitting to different instruments.

Your Pardoes Promenade looks like something to try at 150, even if it does get a bit slower.
Vote JIRA issues I've provided fixes for: MC-6820, MC-7192, MC-7200, MC-7432, MC-7488, MC-3, MC-78 / MC-4662, MC-229, MC-954, MC-1105, MC-1644, MC-1935, MC-4533, MC-2820 / MC-5404 / MC-6660, MC-8345, MC-9164, MC-9686, ...

Fargo
    Fargo

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 391 posts
  • Minecraft: Fargo

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

Would you like to see this? :P
Posted Image
Crafting Mines since the 6th of August, 2010.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Vincenzo said:

Why do we need other people to have sex? I'm quite content with my farm animals, thank you.

clockwork321 said:

LYLiX said:

will wood burn?
Ask that again and we will be testing if YOU burn -_-
[VV]
[Notch]

daltonk7
    daltonk7

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:48 AM

that helped so much thnks

LanceTheBloodless

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

that helps a bit i just dont know how to read music sheets for that lol

SaxyOmega90125

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

I don't know how you can possibly create note blocks played to sheet music if you can't read music, unless you have a way to listen to it.... Speaking of which, if you don't have a program to play sheet music, Google 'Musescore'. You can enter in written music (you could just copy what you see on a sheet), and then press the play button to play it. Display the play panel, and you can even shift to the correct tempo. The control scheme takes about 5 minutes to get used to.
A nice little bonus is the ability to enter in a single instrument. If you figure out which instrument(s) has/have the melody, or which parts of each instrument's part is the melody, you can isolate it and cut the background support, even temporarily. That'll probably make it a lot easier to convert it to Minecraft.
Good luck! When you're done, try The Spirit of Radio by Rush! That seems easy enough :)
You can never find your path if you aren't lost for a little while.

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

http://www.minecraft...0000-downloads/

http://www.lazygamer...hp?topic=5578.0
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

sir_minecraft

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

This would be so cool!!!Posted Image
=) =( :) :( ;) ;( =} =P =O X.X =D =,( =? =| =*( =#