• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Falling trees

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Toady1104

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:23 PM

What about tress that actually fall once you cut them?

Would work like this:
Once you break one wood of a tree each log start a falling and rotating animation that works like this:

The lowest log wold just move one block away from the player and rotate 90º, like this:

First:
  :? :log:
*the Log is normal

Then:
  :? [iron] :log:
*The Log has moved one block away from the player and has rotated 90º while doing so
[iron]  = nothing

The second lowest log would do the same, but two blocks away instead of one:

First:
[iron] :log:
:?
*the Log is normal and one block above your head

Then:
  :? [iron]  [iron] :log:
*The Log has moved two blocks away from the player and has rotated 90º while doing so

The same would apply for the other logs, they'd end up farther from the player, and the entire tree would fall together, looking like one piece.

If a log falls in you it has the same effect as sand, obscuring the view until you break it/die
The leaves would follow the tree acting just like the logs, but the ones that touch the ground or the player get destroyed.

In the end a fallen tree should look like this:
[iron]  [iron]  [iron]  [iron]  :D
[iron]  [iron]  [iron]  [iron]  :grass:  :grass:  :grass:
[iron]  [iron]  [iron]  [iron]  :grass:  :grass: :grass:  :grass:
:?  [iron]  :log:  :log:  :log:  :log:   :log:  :grass:

Register or log in to remove.

Swingerzetta
  • Minecraft: Swingerzetta

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:32 PM

It's a neat idea, but I think it would look odd. it makes more sense to me for a floating log block (one with air underneath) to simply 'break off', leaving the log above it floating, ready to fall off right afterwards.

Lordofq
    Lordofq

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:42 PM

This would be nice, but I don't think it could work in minecraft.  Swing's falling idea works better ONLY WITH THE NEW SAND/GRAVEL ANIMATION.  Also, leaves would need to decay when not attached to wood (If notch fleshes out trees with branches this won't be much of an issue), and when one cuts up some wood of a tree everything falls as far as it can.

Swingerzetta

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:04 AM

leaves currently DO decay without wood attached, I think.
And yeah, I totally support branches.

Ditherliss

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:18 AM

I think for this to work, trees would have to become one whole block. I don't see a cluster of blocks leaning to the side and staying off the grid, at least not in the near future. So no, this wouldn't work.
Posted Image
I post too much.

Lordofq
    Lordofq

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:10 AM

Swingerzetta said:

Well I meant decay on the floor as well.  That was poor wording on my part.

Swingerzetta

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:55 AM

Lordofq said:

Swingerzetta said:

Well I meant decay on the floor as well.  That was poor wording on my part.

Aah. right, of course. fallen trees. no longer up in the air. I'm following now.

RicoPenguin

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

Something I think that would be perhaps more doable would be having the wood attached to trees be a special cube.

When you cut the trunk of the tree any outstretching branches would begin to fall (once their leaves are gone).

This way I wouldn't have to flint every massive tree that grows.

Weirder still, some trees are burning forever O.o

I have a massive collection of blocks (well about 15) floating over my castle ablaze. It's like an unintentional light house.
Social Corner: Youtube | Twitter | My Website

Jampp
    Jampp

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

I think that when tree is chopped, the upper part would just fall one block down. You may ask: "But what about the leaves? Wouldn't you then get crushed?". Answer is NO with this suggestion: Make it so that player can move through leaves like in the water except moving/climbing in leaves would be much slower.
Posted Image

spartacuscat

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:19 AM

From what I learned in a topic I made about modular boats(said topic:http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18566#p335739) is that, it wouldn't be possible to have falling trees.

Why?

IT would fuck with the grid based physics and layout Notch has for the game. for an explanation, just read the thread.

gordenfreechmen

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:27 AM

What seems more realistic is wood having a longer mining time and destroying the bottom sheds off the rest like on cacti and reeds.

Mystify
    Mystify

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4899 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

spartacuscat said:

From what I learned in a topic I made about modular boats(said topic:http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18566#p335739) is that, it wouldn't be possible to have falling trees.

Why?

IT would fuck with the grid based physics and layout Notch has for the game. for an explanation, just read the thread.
Allow me to counter with this thread http://www.minecraft...php?f=1&t=19455
Which also happens to include being able to have trees fall down.

Omnifob
    Omnifob

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

gordenfreechmen said:

What seems more realistic is wood having a longer mining time and destroying the bottom sheds off the rest like on cacti and reeds.

That could be nice, but what if a bunch of trees has grown together?

RicoPenguin

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

Omnifob said:

gordenfreechmen said:

That could be nice, but what if a bunch of trees has grown together?

Catastrophic failure of wood.

I would love to see an entire forest collapse in unto itself from a few punches.

I'd youtube that ish.
Social Corner: Youtube | Twitter | My Website