772 replies to this topic

ExVee
    ExVee

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Ah, okay, since you went there...

The major thing I was thinking and didn't want to suggest was having overworld portals sometimes appear in generated structures. My thought, again owing to fandom of Stargate, was to perhaps make them occur within pyramids. The way I was thinking of it was to have working or nearly working portals (maybe just missing a power source) that would in the simple version of the idea connect to another "generated structure" portal somewhere else in the world. So the player has the choice to go through without knowing where they'll end up/what will be waiting - good or bad - or to give up the possible prize and incorporate the portal in to their own constructed system.

The more complex version was for the generated structure portals to all be on a common DHD network. Then if the player finds one, there's a list of destinations to travel to, and the player may then choose to add their own portals to that network, or explore through them and add the better locations to their own address lists. But I know that is probably no easy thing to accomplish, given it took me time just to figure out how to explain it simply. Posted Image

I like the idea of the unique dungeon/ruins structure in this application, partly because there's a good range of ways to design it to direct the way it relates to the surrounding world. Also, for people who use mods that change the world generation and may only very rarely encounter vanilla structures like pyramids or villages, a new structure that isn't limited by biome types would be a big help. I have to say I'm really digging this line of thought that starts making these portals in to a bit of an adventure element for the game.

Register or log in to remove.

Alz454
    Alz454

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

I'm definitely enjoying the possibilities of adding a new type of adventuring into the game, although I think that I should slow down with these ideas as I don't want to get too far ahead of myself when I'm still working on the initial device. I'll release a basic system that incorporates ruins, structures and a basic dungeon in 2.2, then when I'm sure it's all stable I'll start working on making new structures that are connected together.

Having them all on the same network is good, but I don't want to make the player just find one of them, and be able to find the rest instantly with no effort. Maybe allowing the player to see all of the locations but unable to travel to them unless they add a specific key item to their DHD that is unique to each of the destinations. There could be subtle hints in the dungeons that show the key item for another location. (Of course, they'd still be able to travel around and find them by walking.)

Although I'll put that on hold for now, it's an awesome concept and I will definitely try to implement it. For now though, I am still focusing on getting this rewrite done and hopefully up to the standard that I would like it to be at.
Posted Image

ExVee
    ExVee

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

You're probably right about revealing an entire destination list with the first discovery, there was just something a little exciting about the idea of finding and being able to take over use of a standing portal network.

I can think of one possibility that might balance it, though it's getting more complicated: Design two sorts of structures. One would be a common dungeon/ruin, just a smallish structure that would be like an outpost. These don't have a DHD present, and so the portal is just connected directly to another one somewhere else in the world (or maybe even to the Nether occasionally). Then design a bigger structure like a fortress that would occur much more rarely. Let that have a DHD and be the natural hub for the ten or so nearest generated portals. If a player is lucky enough to run across that first, their reward is to reap the benefits. And if it's not found, all the player has with the outpost ruins is a portal linked directly with another at some other location, unless/until they bring their own DHD and tie it in to a network of their own making.

The fortress/hub could even have simple traps to get through so it's not just as easy as walking in once it's discovered.

...actually, could you do that? Include a mode on the DHD where it just makes an ad-hoc network to the closest x-number of valid portals? Like, that would be the initial state of a crafted DHD, and to create a network of specific portals a particular modifier item would have to be crafted and installed. A fortress's DHD would occur in the ad-hoc state, so an entire network worth of destinations wouldn't have to be revealed with its discovery, but the player might still gain a prize of a few new destinations to travel to, as well as centralized access to any portals the player may have built within the detection range.

Alz454
    Alz454

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

That is a great idea and definitely solves that issue, I will definitely implement that when I come to adding these dungeon features.
Posted Image

Kreynos
    Kreynos

Carpenter

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

I'm using the 1.4.7 version until all the mods I want get updated, and I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I put 2 portals about 100 away from each other, slammed the modifier in the bottom row, gave them both Multiple/Advanced Dimensional, and stepped in. The Exit Portal is Blocked or Invalid.
Can't get rid of this, any solutions?

Alz454
    Alz454

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Make sure that the coloured side of the Portal Modifier is facing into the portal block (on both portals).
Posted Image

Kreynos
    Kreynos

Carpenter

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Thanks, that did it.
Another question, which might be better placed in another thread but oh well.
Could I disable the recipe for the Portal Modifier? Or the Upgrades? I want only Ops to be able to make Overworld->Overworld portals.

Alz454
    Alz454

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

No, currently you can only have them disabled or enabled for everyone. I'll add a config option to disable the crafting recipes though.
Posted Image

Kowertom
    Kowertom

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Minecraft: Kowertom

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

I have a small issue with the portals:

Posted Image

Ordeth
    Ordeth

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Minecraft: Ordeth

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostKowertom, on 17 April 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

I have a small issue with the portals:

Posted Image

I'd like to second this issue. Every time I add a new mod, it randomly chooses a texture and uses that as the portal animation like that until I add something new and the process repeats. Currently ghostwood planks from Natura.

Posted Image

drinfernoo

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

I didn't read through the whole thread, but I was wondering if it could be doable to have things in the middle of the portal? Kind of like a bullseye... I am also having an issue where if I have multiple portals near each other diagonally, they won't all stay active at once.

Is it possible to use the Portal Modifier to go to any dimension, like the End or a Mystcraft age, or just the Nether?
Learn some Java before you mod, and skip over the chapter on ModLoader, straight to MinecraftForge. It's better. Trust me.
Posted Image

ExVee
    ExVee

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

The Advanced Dimensional upgrade item lets two portals connect to each other regardless of dimension. In my test world I have a pair linked between Twilight Forest and the Nether, which otherwise is not possible to accomplish. In that case though, you do have to manually build the portals, so travel to the dimensions in question will have to occur at least once by the standard means.

Scott1710

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:35 PM

Hi there. I'm fairly new to the whole minecraft mods scene, but this one is just fantastic. I absolutely love it.

However, I thought that I read somewhere through this topic that it was possible to make the portals not be instant, but use the warp animation instead, but I have no idea how to do that. Just hoping that somebody can help me out with that.

Thanks, and it's an absolutely awesome mod!

Alz454
    Alz454

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostOrdeth, on 17 April 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

I'd like to second this issue. Every time I add a new mod, it randomly chooses a texture and uses that as the portal animation like that until I add something new and the process repeats. Currently ghostwood planks from Natura.

This is a known issue and is fixed in the next version.

View PostScott1710, on 18 April 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

However, I thought that I read somewhere through this topic that it was possible to make the portals not be instant, but use the warp animation instead, but I have no idea how to do that. Just hoping that somebody can help me out with that.

When using a Portal Modifier it is not possible to use the timed teleport due to the way that it's coded in vanilla. I can work around this though and will be implementing it later on, but it's not a high priority right now.
Posted Image

ExVee
    ExVee

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

So, here's a thing that I just thought of: When using the dialer block to travel to a portal that does not have a DHD, how does the return trip work? Can there BE a return trip to the DHD-origin portal without having a DHD on the destination end set to that portal? I'm sure this is a thing you've considered in developing this functionality since it's an important consideration for having one portal that acts like a hub to numerous others, so I'm just wondering what the mechanic will be for it.

xBlackCrack

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

Seems like the upgrades have a missing texture

Goreae
    Goreae

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1053 posts
  • Minecraft: goreae

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

So you mean I can make a sideways portal? and control it with a computer? I may be in love right now.

Come check out the No Topic Forum!

~LINK~

Feel free to PM me if you are having trouble with mods and I will help in any way that I can!

Alz454
    Alz454

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostExVee, on 19 April 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

So, here's a thing that I just thought of: When using the dialer block to travel to a portal that does not have a DHD, how does the return trip work? Can there BE a return trip to the DHD-origin portal without having a DHD on the destination end set to that portal? I'm sure this is a thing you've considered in developing this functionality since it's an important consideration for having one portal that acts like a hub to numerous others, so I'm just wondering what the mechanic will be for it.

There cannot be a return trip. Although when I get around to it I'll probably make it so that if the portal has a modifier connected, regardless of if it has an upgrade (if required), it will allow you to teleport back as long as you do not remove or modify the portal.

View PostTodeslord555, on 21 April 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Seems like the upgrades have a missing texture

Which ones? They work fine here.

View PostGoreae, on 23 April 2013 - 01:50 AM, said:

So you mean I can make a sideways portal? and control it with a computer? I may be in love right now.

Yes. Posted Image

--

I haven't been working on this a lot for the past week, but I've finally got around to implementing the ability to make the portal take the texture of any block. You will be able to input any block into the modifier and it will project that blocks texture into the portal. Currently there are no restrictions on what you can put in, but I will make it so that you can define some custom restrictions, and add odd-looking blocks like torches to it by default. Yes, it supports mod blocks (and metadata).
Posted Image

cgonzalop
  • Minecraft: Cgonzal

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

Will the conflict with twilight forest be fixed? :D

xBlackCrack

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

View Postcgonzalop, on 23 April 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

Will the conflict with twilight forest be fixed? Posted Image
If it's an Id conflict I recomment using Id Resolver

View PostAlz454, on 23 April 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

Which ones? They work fine here.