• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft: Legit Version vs. Cracked Version?

legit cracked version legal illegal buy the real minecraft people

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

TrevorHoPe

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

Hi! One of my friends had me fixed on the topic of the differences between the legit (purchased) version of Minecraft, and the cracked (pretty much stolen) version of Minecraft.

The friend who mentioned this should be filled in with this info because he is a crack user (and dealer...):
- Is the cracked version of Minecraft slower than the actual version of the game?
- Can you host games on the cracked version?
- Is the cracked version of Minecraft illegal?

I'm linking him to this post so he can see for himself the difference between good and bad.
He should also just BUY the real version because he's got the money to do so.

Thank you.

Register or log in to remove.

Master4902

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

1. No

2. I don't know what you mean

3. Yes and No
The Minecraft Forum can be described as a "bunch of crazy people all disagreeing with each other"

Calcearius
  • Minecraft: calcearius
  • Xbox:F1 Di Resta

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

The cracked version is exactly the same.... You're using the same client.

Yes you can host servers with a cracked version of MC, although I won't encourage it by telling you how.

It's illegal as it infringes copyright. Even if Jeb has said he doesn't mind people using a cracked copy for what ever reason.

I used a cracked copy for the first month or so of playing due to waiting on a replacement debit card being sent out, as soon as I had a payment method I purchased the game. I can say there is no difference what so ever, although you should always support good developers. If you can afford a copy and have the means to pay for it, then do so!

Savori_creeper

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Playing cracked version is fine as long as you plan to buy it later when you are able to earn. But copying and then 'selling' it off illegally or earning ad. revenue on cracked hosting sites is really the other darker side and should be dealt with strictly...
Posted Image  This poor fly needs a lovely hand to take care.
  Sadly, 90% simply ignore this

TheEvanCat
  • Minecraft: TheEvanCat
  • Xbox:TheEvanCat
  • PSN:TheEvanCat

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

I'm pretty sure it's illegal. It's technically piracy, right?

Posted Image

Don't judge me because I'm fabulous.

Gatling_Tech
  • Minecraft: "GLaDOS".

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

1. no slower than normal

2. he can not join servers unless they have offline mode set to false, so he won't be able to join 99.999% of all minecraft servers cleint and server things are different, so actually, you don't even have to buy minecraft to host a premium server.

3. yes, cracked client is illegal

Eykar
    Eykar

Carpenter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Minecraft: Eykar

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

Well first of all, its not 'technically piracy' or 'pretty much stolen', it is ACTUALLY piracy and ACTUALLY stolen.

If he has the money to do it and doesn't, he is the biggest cr*p on the planet, and you shouldn't be friends with him (let alone this drug addiction?).

Apart from that its exactly the same for single-player, illegal although Mojang don't mind. You cant join any of the good minecraft servers, you can only join cracked servers, which are all pretty much terrible because they're owned by people who cant afford £20 and are plagued with grief and hacks because you cant ban people on it.

Overall, buying the game is always better, its the only way you will be able to play on the Hexicraft server, at least ;)

Posted Image

Hexicraft Admin

CraftIndustries
  • Minecraft: TeamInfecti0n

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

The Cracked Client.

1) I have no idea, only because I support Mojang and Minecraft and actually have it purchased.
2) Yes you can, you go to server.properties and turn off online mode, set it to false. (This is what i've heard)
3) Yes, you're using a paid product without actually paying for it. Singleplayer is arguable, but even then it's still plain illegal.

The Legit Client:

Not much to be said, it's legitimate. Period.

Posted Image

Bukkit Plugin Developer - Server Host - Proud Builder To This Day

007Nick700
  • Minecraft: 007Nick700

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

Those who pay for stuff have no yet discovered piracy, yet I bought minecraft.
Posted Image

Rensie23
    Rensie23

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

i must say i normally pirate stuff too but i really liked minecraft and because they are indie developers i decided to just buy it,

you questions :

1 - no
2 - yes
3 - i don't really know i think it kind a is,

Eykar
    Eykar

Carpenter

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

View Post007Nick700, on 19 June 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

Those who pay for stuff have no yet discovered piracy, yet I bought minecraft.

You can discover piracy and not steal things.. Just like you can know how to pick locks but not burgle a house...

Posted Image

Hexicraft Admin

Domo_4760
    Domo_4760

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • Minecraft: Domo_4760
  • Xbox:sboles66

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

View PostCalcearius, on 19 June 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

It's illegal as it infringes copyright. Even if Jeb has said he doesn't mind people using a cracked copy for what ever reason.
He minds. He will let you, but you HAVE to buy it later, AND you can't make money off of it.

Seritx
    Seritx

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

I think that the people who 'cracks' (I mean online-mode=false) his server to let other players join them, are the illegals. Although if there isn't any 'cracked' server it won't be any 'cracker'.

(Sorry for my english I'm spanish!)

Eykar
    Eykar

Carpenter

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

View PostSeritx, on 19 June 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

I think that the people who 'cracks' (I mean online-mode=false) his server to let other players join them, are the illegals. Although if there isn't any 'cracked' server it won't be any 'cracker'.

(Sorry for my english I'm spanish!)

You cant dispute what is illegal or not, its like one of the few things in the world which you cant argue about lol..
Using a cracked version of minecraft is illegal

Posted Image

Hexicraft Admin

MaryseOulette

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostSavori_creeper, on 19 June 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

Playing cracked version is fine as long as you plan to buy it later when you are able to earn.

So going to steal a car form a dealership, driving it for awhile, but as long as you are eventually going to buy it, it's ok?

Tell that to the cops when they come pick you up.
Nobody move! I've dropped me brain... - Capt. Jack Sparrow

VerifiedNutcase
  • Minecraft: VerifiedNutcase

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostMaryseOulette, on 19 June 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

So going to steal a car form a dealership, driving it for awhile, but as long as you are eventually going to buy it, it's ok?

Tell that to the cops when they come pick you up.
This analogy is extremely flawed.

For one, in order for it to work in the first place, you would need to be able to reproduce a car - in it's entirety and with perfect accuracy - completely on your own without any special tools.

Secondly, small-scale copyright infringement is not a criminal offence, while auto theft most definitely is.

Third, most software products (games and such) are several magnitudes lower in value compared to a vehicle. Even if it were a matter on par with auto theft, the vast difference in value would place copyright infringement as little more than petty theft. Something that not much police time is given to unless there is an abundance of evidence - ergo making it almost entirely certain that you will never be arrested for copyright infringement given how difficult it is to prove that it occured without violating both law and potentially even human rights.

VerifiedNutcase
  • Minecraft: VerifiedNutcase

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:21 AM

View PostTrevorHoPe, on 20 June 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

No my friend isn't really a crack dealer, that was a joke.
Drugs are for people who take it up the butt.
Mm, in that case I need to get hooked up. Mind asking your friend for any reputable vendors he can recommend? Ta.

But I should answer the questions to avoid being completely off topic, so:

Is the cracked version of Minecraft slower than the actual version of the game?
No, a 'cracked' client is functionally identical to a normal client. I'd like to point out, though, that the only thing you need to 'crack' minecraft is a lastlogin file the client can mistake for a legitimate one. Not difficult to get, or even to create yourself.

Can you host games on the cracked version?
Yes and no. There is no 'cracked' server needed, since all you require is changing an option in server.properties (online=false). The official server software is free to download; you don't need to buy Minecraft first.

Is the cracked version of Minecraft illegal?
Copyright infringement isn't legal, although in order to be prosecuted the copyright holder must initiate legal action themselves. Given that Notch has tweeted that he doesn't mind it, this is unlikely, but that shouldn't be an excuse not to get a legitimate account as you recieve access to the vast majority of multiplayer servers, and grants you some fundimental safeguards for your own server(s).

Lemmypemmy
  • Minecraft: Lemmypemmy

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

- Is the cracked version of Minecraft slower than the actual version of the game?
- Can you host games on the cracked version?
- Is the cracked version of Minecraft illegal?

1. Unfortunatly not, its an cracked version of the default.
2. Unfortunatly too, you can set it to onlinemode: false and people with illegal accounts can join :(
3. Obviously. Its CRACKED by crackers.

There is no excuse to have Cracked MC:
1. (Read it with an annoying kiddy voice) "I dont have the money for it"
    That would make no sense since you have a computer where you can play it on, and it's cheap to.
2. (Again with kiddy voice) "My parents won't let me buy it"
    Then you can't play it. So simply is it, you will have to play the demo.
3. "I just want to try it out"
    Play the demo.
4. "I don't wanna pay for it"
Go f*ck yourself.
5. "Notch said it's ok to crack it"
Not exactly, he said he finds it ok if you have not the money for it, but if you have the money buy it. He said that before the demo came out. So play the demo.
Posted Image

colorfusion

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

1. Not usually, but it's quite often packed along with a shedload of malware which could cause it to be slower.

2. Yes and no, you can make your own servers but you have to turn off user verification. This means that anyone can  join under anyone's name rather easily. You can't join other proper servers with a cracked client though.

3. Yes, it's pirating a game and is definitely illegal. It's also immoral and selfish. It can harm Mojang even if you decide to buy it afterwards.

A lot of people say that "Notch/jeb don't mind" but that is simply not true, Notch made a post about it saying he can't really do much about it but not that he doesn't mind it.

Laughing_Man16
  • Minecraft: Laughing_Man16
  • Xbox:No thank you

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

For people who think Notch and Mojang 'don't mind' piracy. They do. They have a business to run and piracy hurts that business. However it would be more of a hassle and likyl be worse for business for them to try and prosecute every entitled twelve year old who thinks they are 'Uber Haxor' because they downloaded something illegally. So they just deal with it. Minecraft is successful enough and Notch is smart enough to not try and crack down on it. As it stands one could argue that this relaxed almost indifferent attitude about piracy has actually helped them. Though such an argument is likely riddled with logic so flawed and circular that it would make even a politician dizzy.

So OP that is why most of the community looks down upon the practice of using cracked clients, but also just ignores those that do, so long as they keep it to themselves. As for your specific questions, well, they have been answered quite thoroughly and I would rather not go on an intense rant at this hour in the morning, its around six AM my time at the writing (or typing if you prefer) of this post and I have yet to get to sleep. But enough about me. This is all about educating your 'friend' in the error of his ways. Good luck. But I won't be holding my breath.
Humanity is the creation of Logic and Emotion, Calculation and Imagination, Cold Analysis and Blind Faith. This is why I believe it is a strange Human that would prize one while shunning the other. For a calculator can do math just as well as you, but a calculator can not use math to make the world a better place.