• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[1.5.1] Thermal Expansion - 2.3.0.b7! Updates and refactors ahoy!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1710 replies to this topic

KingLemmingCoFH
  • Minecraft: KingLemmingCoFH

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:20 AM

POPULAR

Thermal Expansion 2.3.0.b7
A Team CoFH Mod
Posted Image

Thermal Expansion, at its core, is a "tech" mod - it's a mod of what ifs. For example, what if you could turn water into ice or snow with a machine?
Spoiler:

Or how about a machine that could combine lava and water however you choose?
Spoiler:

What if there were a wool that didn't burn?
Spoiler:

Or, what if you could set up advanced yet extremely compact production chains that didn't require redstone engines or complex pipe routing?
Spoiler:

If any of that interests you, then you may want to check this out. Posted Image

Update News (2.2.0):
So, 2.2.0 is out!

It adds Tesseracts, an MJ Reader, and some performance improvements. Posted Image

Here's a very good overview of the new version, put together by Direwolf20:

Thanks DW20!

Additionally, for a really good tutorial with annotations of the Factory module, RedstoneNightmare put this together:

It's for 1.0.5, but it's also very well done, and I had meant to put it up on the wiki quite a while ago.

Thanks RedstoneNightmare!

I'd also like to apologize to you for not having gotten that up on the wiki when I really had meant to - it's a great resource and it's just something that I didn't get done for reasons that I really can't fathom.

Wiki:
http://thermalexpans...wikispaces.com/

License and Modpacks:
http://thermalexpans...ces.com/License

Downloads (2.2.0 for MC 1.4.6/1.4.7):
http://thermalexpans...s.com/Downloads

Installation:
Drop in the /mods folder. That's it. Be sure you have Minecraft Forge 6.0.1.349+ (353 is the best for compatibility typically)

ID Usage:
8 Block IDs
5 Item IDs

Spotlights / Videos:
1.0.5:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

1.0.4:
Spoiler:

1.0.2:
Spoiler:

Thank you very much to those who have made spotlights and videos for this mod, I am truly appreciative.

Banner:

For those of you who wish to spread the word, here's a banner. Thank you very much for your support.

Posted Image

[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1297506-][img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/61667926/TEBannerNew.png[/img][/url]

Change Log:
Spoiler:

Thanks very much for your interest!
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Shinkicker71
  • Minecraft: ... i wont say
  • Xbox:really?

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:30 AM

LEGEN WAIT FOR DARY is what this mod is
Posted Imagemy dear friend look at this
rum its red

Shadowrock
  • Minecraft: Shadowrock
  • Xbox:I don't own an Xbox...

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:56 AM

And they output automatically? *evil plan ensues*

Equeon said:

Five minutes later, the Predator was killed in a tragic incident involving bloodthirsty baby chicken.

Neon_ColorsFTW22
  • Minecraft: NeonColorsAero

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:34 AM

Pics please and description.

I do not know what the heck this mod does

Posted Image

KingLemmingCoFH

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:45 AM

View PostNeon_ColorsFTW22, on 19 June 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

Pics please and description.

I do not know what the heck this mod does

Please check out the wiki - all the information is there. :)
Posted Image

shiijin
    shiijin

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:53 AM

What are the requirements for this mod ie. modloader which forge version etc.

KingLemmingCoFH

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

View Postshiijin, on 19 June 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

What are the requirements for this mod ie. modloader which forge version etc.

Updated OP to reflect Forge 127+. Although I would recommend 135+. I'm making use of the new OreDictionary code.

EDIT: As of version 1.0.2, Forge 3.1.2.90 is supported. :)
Posted Image

Tabris_
    Tabris_

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Induction Smelter seems not to recognize IC2 copper and tin. (Not dust, the ore block)

Ryandevries920

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

Never posted error before so sorry if I didn't do it right. not sure how to leave it in spoiler. every time I right click with Crescent Hammer I crash. also pulverized silver ore will not smelt.

Spoiler:

ok never mind figured it out

SirSengir
    SirSengir

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1449 posts
  • Minecraft: sirsengir

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

Already looking to be an excellent tech mod. :)
Posted Image

SpitefulFox
  • Minecraft: SpitefulFox

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

This mod looks awesome already. ^_^

I'd suggest maybe adding a screenshot and a short description to the thread itself, though.  Not everyone's gonna be willing to check the wiki to find out what it's about. D:

KingLemmingCoFH

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the replies and for diving right in everyone, I do appreciate it.

I'll get to work on the OreDictionary issues right now, I believe I know what the problem is. In the meantime, pulverizing the ore should allow you to smelt it. However, the pulverized tin ore will apparently smelt into silver ingots if RedPower 2 is installed...so yeah, found that bug. Posted Image Fixed now, will be updated in the download once I get a few more knocked out.

Regarding the Crescent Hammer, that was an oversight on my part - I just need to make it check for 4096 block support. (The reason it calls OnItemUseFirst btw is because you can rotate any vanilla block with it as well, I should mention that on the wiki.)

Also, I'll get a screenshot up and elaborate on the OP more.

Thanks again for the comments!
Posted Image

DrEinsteinium
  • Minecraft: DrEinsteinium

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

You'll get more visitors to your wiki if you post a picture or video in the main post to get people intrigued or interested.

Edit: After reading "The Basics" on the wiki, I feel like this mod could go VERY far if you release an API modders can use to add their machines to your mod.
Follow me on twitter! @dreinsteinium
Read up on whats new! www.catacombs.co
Posted Image

KingLemmingCoFH

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

OP is updated with some screenshots and intro - it will be elaborated on more as I am able to.

Also, bugs which have been pointed out are fixed - thanks very much for catching those everyone. :) Quite sorry they got in there in the first place.

An API is in the works, but unfortunately there's no good way to just "bolt on" this functionality to other mods - the block really has to be designed from the ground up with it in mind. I will add as much API support as I can though - at the very least, other mods will be able to add new recipes to Thermal Expansion machines.
Posted Image

Shadowrock
  • Minecraft: Shadowrock
  • Xbox:I don't own an Xbox...

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

Is it possible for you to make a version that uses the old ore dictionary, as I can't use the newest forge?

Equeon said:

Five minutes later, the Predator was killed in a tragic incident involving bloodthirsty baby chicken.

KingLemmingCoFH

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:19 AM

View PostShadowrock, on 19 June 2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

Is it possible for you to make a version that uses the old ore dictionary, as I can't use the newest forge?

EDIT: Done. Although I cannot promise that this will go back far enough for you.
Posted Image

Jhary
    Jhary

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • Minecraft: Jhary

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:37 AM

I am glad to see this mod going forward so well :)

I will download this today after I come home and run some tests :)

Posted Image

Jhary
    Jhary

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

I did run some tests and the only bug i was able to find is, that your pulverizer does not work with forestry tin ore blocks.

I tested with Forestry, Industrial Craft and Redpower2 ores.

All machines did what they should do.
Pipes and tubes worked fine. Is it possible for you to make it so that your machines are able to eject to redpower tubes as well? If not it's not too bad because your machines eject just fine to redpower2 buffers.

Very good work though Posted Image

Looking forward to the next parts of your mod.

P.S. : I got one suggestion. I know you said that your smelters will never work with ore dusts from industrial craft. This is a good point, but wouldn't it be possible to add a smelter recipe to your machines that do just one ingot from a industrial craft ore dust? Then there would be no exploit. I know you could ask "why use a macerator and one of my smelters when you could just use the pulverizer and a smelter to get the same effect?". But I think it would just fit better into all this other mods if it would accept the dusts

Posted Image

Jhary
    Jhary

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

Oh and an additional suggestion : Could you make your Aqueous Accumulator able to pump lava as well? At this time the only way to work with your Igneous Extruder is to connect a buildcraft pump for pumping lava while your Aqueous Accumulator can pump the water. Even cooler it would be if your machine could accept lava from redpower2 fluid pipes ;) (but I have no clue if this is possible)

Posted Image

KingLemmingCoFH

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

Appreciate the comments, Grumbosch, but in the future, could you maybe just edit your first post if nobody has replied since then? Keeps things just a bit less cluttered. Posted Image

Unfortunately, I can't replicate your Tin Ore bug - it works just fine for me. And after double-checking the code, it really should. The only reason it wouldn't work is if somehow the Forestry version of Tin Ore is not being registered with the Ore Dictionary.

Tube support is as good as it's going to get at the moment - there's nothing more I can do without a RedPower API.

You're partially right on the Dust - however it would still allow you to create infinite amounts of Slag; the Slag is a function of the machine, not of the recipe. At this time, I don't see a need to really change that. Also, the Induction Smelter takes way more energy than a conventional furnace - there wouldn't be a compelling reason to smelt dust in it even if it generated no Slag and a single Ingot.

If you're worried about needing dust for bronze, then I apologize for not having put it up on the wiki (and will correct that), but you can make 2 Bronze Blend with 3 Pulverized Copper and a Pulverized Tin (Shapeless). You can also take 2 Bronze Blend and convert it into 4 Brass Blend (Shapeless), or the other way around. This keeps the ratio in line with respect to what the other modders have established.

Regarding the Aqueous Accumulator, it will never be able to pump lava - the machine was specifically created not to "pump" at all. I don't intend to replace the BuildCraft pump - it works quite well generally, there's just an occasional issue with infinite sources glitching out. You can manually fill the Igneous Extruder with a bucket - just put a water or lava bucket into the slot. If you're generating cobblestone, this isn't too much of a problem - one bucket will get you infinite amounts of cobblestone. I realize this isn't optimal, but at its core, the mod is best played with BuildCraft.

I'll check on the RedPower fluid tube stuff, but I'm guessing it's the same deal - I have no way to interact with them without an API.

However, something you can do is place a Magma Crucible adjacent to the Igneous Extruder. Use netherrack in the crucible and the energy cost per bucket of lava won't be so bad.
Posted Image