User
    User

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2012 posts
  • Location: North of the South Pole and south of the North pole
  • Minecraft: TheDarkStar

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

I've seen the biographical video of Michio Kaukau and how he built a particle accelerator in 9th grade. I was wondering if there was any way to build a crude home-made betatron using simple parts and, if so, there were detailed instructions on how to do it. All I've seen in books, Web sites, movies, films, and videos is information on particle accelerators, not how to build one.

Thoughts/suggestions/hate mail?

Register or log in to remove.

Path_Of_Pie
  • Minecraft: Path_Of_Pie

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:06 AM

Particle accelerators can be extremely dangerous, which is probably why you can't find any information on building one. Also... why would you want one? You need specialized instruments to even read the results, which, again, would be useless. Are you building just to boast to your freinds that "Hey guys! I've got myself a particle accelerator!", or actual scientific reasons? Either way, it's fairly pointless to build one.
Perfection cannot be achieved, because it simply does not exist. But that does not mean it cannot be worked towards.

FireroseNekowolf
  • Minecraft: FireroseNekowolf

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:13 AM

1. Become Soviet spy.
2. Infiltrate American community.
3. ???
4. Profit.
What happens when the Universe divides by zero?
It gets a result.

Path_Of_Pie

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:16 AM

View PostFireroseNekowolf, on 18 June 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

1. Become Soviet spy.
2. Infiltrate American community.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Sir, The USSR no longer exists. If you are talking about the remnants of this group, they do not have the power nor legitment reason to get information from america anymore.
Perfection cannot be achieved, because it simply does not exist. But that does not mean it cannot be worked towards.

CycloneX5
  • Minecraft: CycloneX5

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

View PostPath_Of_Pie, on 18 June 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

Sir, The USSR no longer exists. If you are talking about the remnants of this group, they do not have the power nor legitment reason to get information from america anymore.

I do believe he was jesting.
Posted Image

Kargoneth
    Kargoneth

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1161 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

This all depends on what you want to get out of it, how many resources you have, and how safe you want it to be. You don't even have to build one; you can scrounge an electron gun from a cathode ray tube. Beware of the radiation such things emit.
If you are a Battletech/Mechwarrior geek you may enjoy my Timberwolf/MADCAT model (the source of my avatar) (warning: image-heavy link target)
I will often edit my posts after I have posted them in an attempt to improve their clarity (I value a few high quality posts over several low quality ones; the more lengthy the post, the more time it requires to edit) so you might want to wait for a while if this post is recent and refresh to see if anything has changed before replying to it.

Shpaget
    Shpaget

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2949 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

Michio Kakum, there goes a perfectly nice day down the drain.

How much money you planned to invest in this?
Do you expect to get some results? What?
Do you have an access to a workshop?
Check out the awesome model train layout I'm working on:
backo.hr

WhiteSlate
  • Minecraft: nsvv

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

As Path_Of_Pie said, I can't see why you'd want to build one. It wouldn't be cheap first of all, there's a definite risk of radiation and even if you managed to make it, it would be completely pointless. Scientists at major colliders like Fermi and CERN have already scanned all of the lower-energy spectrums for new particles so there's absolutely no chance of making some kind of a discovery, on top of the fact the equipment required to make accurate detections is extraordinarily expensive and not available to you. The only
way that your particle accelerator would have any kind of use is if you could reach the Giga/Petavolt region, which you won't be able to do. Great idea, but not practical.

Durracel
    Durracel

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3802 posts
  • Minecraft: Durracel

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

you wouldn't be able to power it even if you managed to build it
the secret of flyiing
Spoiler:
Posted Image

Isaac_x
    Isaac_x

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4580 posts
  • Minecraft: JamesDR

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

It's just unrealistic.

If you ever inherit a large sum of money (A few thousand) and you inherit it when you're mentally immature, put it into your bank account and leave it there until you grow, trust me on this one.

ImThat1Guy
  • Minecraft: ImThat1Guy

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

Magnets and millions of dollars.
Posted Image

View PostCentrallyProcessed, on 31 January 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

AMD cards are like UK buses, y'know?
Big, red, and they have bad drivers.

View Postshairn, on 11 February 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

Being obese only harms yourself, unless you fall on someone or something.

Cuuldude
    Cuuldude

Retired Hetaliamin

• Retired Staff
  • 4156 posts
  • Minecraft: cuuldude

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

Damn, Kargoneth beat me to it.

There is an electron accelerator in every old CRT television. You should never play around with them unless you know exactly what you're doing, though.

Toastedspikes
  • Minecraft: Toastedspikes

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

View PostDurracel, on 18 June 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

you wouldn't be able to power it even if you managed to build it
Err, you could power one with an AA battery if you wanted.
Posted Image
Calling a human illegal is the most ridiculous thing. ­ The concept of "illegal immigration" is the cancer of society. No borders, no nations, no deportations.

WhiteSlate
  • Minecraft: nsvv

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

I think there's a little misconception here. A lot of people (such as I) thought he meant a particle accelerator like that at CERN but I think the OP actually means a CRT-type accelerator for recreational purposes like Cuuldude said, which doesn't require a lot of energy to run (but can still be dangerous).

FillyRarity

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

I think partical accelerators are a little expencive...

Fear me, for I am cheese.

Path_Of_Pie

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostWhiteSlate, on 18 June 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

I think there's a little misconception here. A lot of people (such as I) thought he meant a particle accelerator like that at CERN but I think the OP actually means a CRT-type accelerator for recreational purposes like Cuuldude said, which doesn't require a lot of energy to run (but can still be dangerous).

Ah. Even so... there is still little purpose to it.

SomeoneElsewhere

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

first you take a potato and then put a diabolical robot in it, then, oh wait
Minecraft in a Text Alpha 1.1 here

CosmicSpore

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Michio Kaku is an eccentric, who likes to be seen as an eccentric, and loves the fame and attention that comes with being a popular eccentric in an eccentric field of science.

In other words.... He never really created a particle accelerator. In fact his own telling of the story is nothing more than him blowing the all the fuses in his home by trying to run electricity through tons of copper wiring.
And most likely he just made the story up, and none of it really happened to begin with... at least not the way he describes it.
He has even stated he was photographing anti-matter at the time before he tried to create the accelerator... and he never tells his stories with any amount of detail.

In other words.... No one is going to be building a particle accelerator at home, and there is no value in building one.
You'd be much better off building a practical electric generator, like a dynamo... or something else useful that won't entirely waste your money or explode your electric circuits. At least with a generator you could possibly use it to charge some batteries or power some lights, or something like that...

User
    User

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2012 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

OK then, I'll ask somewhere else. If you aren't going to be hospitable about it, then someone else will. Closing topic.

User
    User

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2012 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

Let me rephrase that. I meant "how is a particle accelerator constructed" and if there is a viable way in the near future to make one for personal use.